NFL 2012

Saints sign Curtis Lofton, not the best LB in the league but a stout run defender which it seems is something we've been working on getting this off season.

It should definitely help shore our run defense up which will in turn make our pass defense better hopefully. I'd like to see us keep Vilma and shift him to OLB since he can defend the pass fairly well, I see him just being cut due to the incoming suspension.

Not the best LB in the league, but the best remaining free agent LB...

William Gay signs with Steelers West (aka Arizona), where he'll be reunited with his former defensive backs coach (AZ DC Ray Horton) and teammates (asst. DB coach Deshea Townsend, as well as CB Crezdon Butler), among other former Steelers personnel like head coach Ken Whisenhunt, etc., etc. The Steelers are likely now in the market to draft another CB, as they now only have 4 that are likely to make the 53. Keenan Lewis is now pretty much assured the starting job, while Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen will battle for the nickel and dime slots. They could possibly choose to carry 5 CBs and 5 Ss (they have options with Da'Mon-Cromartie Smith and Myron Rolle at S), but they've been carrying 6 CBs for a while now.

Owners vote to adopt playoff OT rules in regular season
NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: March 28, 2012 at 11:16 a.m. Updated: March 28, 2012 at 02:12 p.m.
NFL owners voted Wednesday at the NFL Annual Meeting in Palm Beach, Fla., to change the regular-season overtime rules to match the playoff format and have turnovers automatically reviewed.

Each team will have an opportunity for a possession in overtime unless the team that receives the first kickoff scores a touchdown on its opening drive.

The rule hasn't come into play in the postseason since it was instituted in 2010, with only two playoff games going to overtime. One ended on the first play, Tim Tebow's 80-yard touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomas for the Denver Broncos over the Pittsburgh Steelers. The other had each team take several possessions before the New York Giants beat the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC title game.

Owners voted 30-2 to adopt the overtime-rule change.

Also, teams no longer will need to challenge turnovers, as is the case with scoring plays.

Two proposals were tabled. One would have allowed teams to designate a player suffering a major injury before Week 2 of the season as eligible to return from injured reserve. The other would have pushed back the trade deadline to after Week 8. NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported that many executives believe both changes will be approved at a later date.

Competition committee chairman Rich McKay also predicted the proposals would pass at the next meetings in Atlanta.

"There were good ideas and suggestions, no resistance," he said. "We'll work on the language."

The owners didn't pass a proposal by the Buffalo Bills to have all instant replays reviewed by the booth rather than by referees on the field.

A proposal outlawing the horse-collar tackle made on quarterbacks in the pocket didn't pass, either. McKay said the ownership "didn't think this can impact... player safety."

"The rule was developed for the open field tackle when a defender has the chance to do something else (in making the tackle)," he said. "He's also able to use the runner's momentum against him. We didn't think that applied to the pocket, didn't see the injury risk."

Other rules changes: a team will lose a down for illegally kicking a loose ball; too many men on the field becomes a dead-ball foul; and a player receiving a crackback block is now considered a defenseless player and will result in a 15-yard penalty.

I don't see how they do not view a horse-collar tackle as an injury risk just because it occurs in the pocket. I'm kind of surprised that one didn't pass. Good call on making too many men on the field a dead ball foul as well. Also, I was under the impression that a player receiving a crackback block was already deemed a defenseless player last year...guess not.

The owners didn't pass a proposal by the Buffalo Bills to have all instant replays reviewed by the booth rather than by referees on the field.

haha I hope that never gets passed, games will be 10 hours long

All that they are worrying about and concentrating on...only to ignore a more vital issue...the injured reserve situation. This sport and league that I love is becoming a head-scratcher at times! Sure lets have a replay for every fookin turnover...and give a wtf about coaches challenges that use to count for something. To hell with the thought or possibility of a key / star player lost early in a season who may be able to come back at the end of a season or in time for the playoffs? Maybe teams will play a little differently during the season knowing the possibility of a returning player that may lie ahead...ask last years Colts.

If you read the whole thing, the article mentions that the IR proposal will be discussed later (in May) and is likely to be approved then when the wording is worked out.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck. Jason Peters tore his Achilles tendon working out and is out for most, if not all of 2012. That's basically the worst news possible. Whether or not people realize it, he's the most talented player on the Eagles roster and one of the best LTs in the league. I would rather see LeSean McCoy, Trent Cole or Desean Jackson go down than Peters. Fuck. That is a massive, massive blow to the Eagles playoff hopes.

They quickly resigned the pedestrian King Dunlap, but I have no idea what they're gonna do about LT. Basically, we have to hope that Howard Mudd can work his magic on some mid-round pick or the Eagles can sling a trade for a LT, because right now we have nothing at the second most important position on the field.

I completely agree with you about Peters. He really took his game to another level especially this past season. I think he was the best left tackle in the entire league last year. That's really not going to be good for the chances of Vick playing 16 games. Demetrius Bell is, for some reason, visiting the Steelers right now, but perhaps he'll be making a b-line east toward Philly now.

I never understood it, he got selected to the pro bowl I think both years he was with the team but run blocked and pass protected like garbage, everyone in Buffalo knew he was the biggest bust

Peters was a piece of dirt with the Bills

I didn't watch a lot of Bills games during those years but he was all-pro in 2007 and 2008. Unlike the pro bowl, that is a legit accomplishment, since the award is actually doled out by people who know what they're looking at. So I think saying he was dirt is extreme hyperbole.

Our line was pretty straight last year that I never really focused on him or any other part of it. This whole in depth scouting thing you guys do is too detailed, not even sure where I would begin to learn that much ahah

From what I've read, Bell is the best available offensive lineman, but that that's also not saying much. He also has injury concerns. The Steelers were looking at him just as the news of Peters getting injured hit, so there goes that.

Saints signed David Hawthorne from Seattle. Our LB corps went from possibly worst in the league to at least pretty solid. Now we just need a good pass rusher and this team should definitely be good to go provided Brees is signed asap.

After doing some research for the past month this is my first Mock.

1. Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck QB Stanford
2. Washington Redskins - Robert Griffin QB Washington
3. Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil OT USC
4. Cleveland Browns - Trent Richardson RB Alabama ( Based on Holmgren's quotes and off-season decisions so far, it seems like they are going to give Colt McCoy one last shot)
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Morris Claiborne CB LSU ( Eric Wright? lol)
6. St. Louis Rams - Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State
7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
8. Miami Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M ( He should be a 2nd or 3rd round selection, but being the #3 QB, he gets vaulted up, and overrated.)
9. Carolina Panthers - Dontari Poe DT Memphis
10. Buffalo Bills - Riley Reiff OT Iowa
11. Kansas City Chiefs - Luke Kuechly LB Boston College
12. Seattle Seahawks - Melvin Ingram DE South Carolina
13. Arizona Cardinals - David DeCastro G Stanford
14. Dallas Cowboys - Mark Barron S Alabama
15. Philadelphia Eagles - Michael Brockers DT LSU
16. New York Jets - Courtney Upshaw LB Alabama
17. Cincinnati Bengals - Kendall Wright WR Baylor
18. San Diego Chargers - Cordy Glenn G/T Georgia
19. Chicago Bears - Quentin Coples DE North Carolina ( I would think that Coples goes before #19, but only if somebody trades up for him. He could go to Seattle, but I thought Ingram was a better fit for their defense. Then you run into a bunch of 3-4 teams (Arizona, Dallas, Jets, Chargers) and Coples doesn't really fit those teams. Also remember that Robert Quinn fell last year to #15. So it could happen.)
20. Tennessee Titans - Fletcher Cox DT Mississippi State
21. Cincinnati Bengals - Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama
22. Cleveland Browns - Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina
23. Detroit Lions - Jonathan Martin OT Stanford
24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Dont\'a Hightower LB Alabama
25. Denver Broncos - Devon Still DT Penn State
26. Houston Texans - Coby Fleener TE Stanford
27. New England Patriots - Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech ( I know they just signed Lloyd, but this seems like a typical Patriots move.)
28. Green Bay Packers- Whitney Mercilus DE Illinois
29. Baltimore Ravens - Peter Konz C Wisconsin
30. San Francisco 49ers - Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama
31. New England Patriots - Nick Perry DE USC
32. New York Giants - Mike Adams OT Ohio State