NFL 2012

Ok, I actually agree with you on the dual-duties comment. So I won't get into that.

As an outsider, your comment about the mentality of the team makes no sense to me. They appear to be the same exact teams that Wade Phillips had before, except worse as far as play on the field goes. I don't even understand why you're hating on Wade Phillips. Sure his last season wasn't exactly the best, but they went 13-3, 9-7, and 11-5 in three seasons, won the division twice which means they made the playoffs. Garrett hasn't done dick with essentially the same cast. Posting back-to-back 8-8 seasons is horrible, for ANY coach on ANY team. Injuries are nothing more than excuse. The Colts were arguably the most injured team in the league for years and they never posted less than a 10-6 record until Peyton was out for an entire season. But even then you can't blame the injury for poor performance. That was bad personnel management as far as having an adequate backup for Peyton that could fill in if needed. Hence why Polian and his son was fired.

The bottom line is, Jerry Jones is a cancer, Jason Garrett is a borderline horrible coach, Romo mediocre and makes way too many mistakes and is regressing, and they're the Cowboys.

edit: Also, your comment about Peyton makes no fucking sense at all. wtf?

As an outsider, your comment about the mentality of the team makes no sense to me. They appear to be the same exact teams that Wade Phillips had before, except worse as far as play on the field goes. I don't even understand why you're hating on Wade Phillips. Sure his last season wasn't exactly the best, but they went 13-3, 9-7, and 11-5 in three seasons, won the division twice which means they made the playoffs.

That 13-3 season was Garrett's first year as OC, and with Parcell's people. Parecell brought great players in like Ware, Witten, and Romo. Phillips wiffed on basically every draft and created a lackadaisical atmosphere. Phillips is an excellent DC, he has zero head coach chops. The Cowboys are not even remotely the same team under Garrett. When Romo went out the team pretty much flopped under Phillips. With half the defense out, the team was scrapping and clawing to stay in the thick of things.

Garrett hasn't done dick with essentially the same cast. Posting back-to-back 8-8 seasons is horrible, for ANY coach on ANY team. Injuries are nothing more than excuse. The Colts were arguably the most injured team in the league for years and they never posted less than a 10-6 record until Peyton was out for an entire season. But even then you can't blame the injury for poor performance. That was bad personnel management as far as having an adequate backup for Peyton that could fill in if needed. Hence why Polian and his son was fired.

The highlighted portion shows where you are wrong. It isn't the same cast. The offensive line is turned over, the backfield is turned over, the defense has been turned over, and was mostly hurt in 2012. Annually losing Bob Sanders does not equal losing 7 starters on defense. Again, 8-8 isn't horrible. Objective analysis says the Cowboys overachieved, especially considering they play in the NFC East, and not the AFC South. There's something to be said for divisional strength as it pertains to records. The Colts played in a cushy division most of the time.

The bottom line is, Jerry Jones is a cancer, Jason Garrett is a borderline horrible coach, Romo mediocre and makes way too many mistakes and is regressing, and they're the Cowboys.

I won't argue on Jerry Jones. The guy needs to stick to the business end like building stadiums and marketing and stay out of the locker room. The rest of your statement is absurd, punctuated nicely with "in-depth" analysis like "they're the Cowboys".

Rob Ryan sucks. Good move by the Cowboys. Really, he's had like two high-performing units in his entire career? Living off the reputation of his dad and brother.

From a mentality and organization standpoint, the team is looking better than I have ever seen it. It's going to take a while to clean up from the Wade years personnel wise. Garrett already has that well underway. If one offseason and the most injuries probably ever recorded on one side of the ball (defense) and still pulling out a .500 record is failure to you, I can't believe you stuck with Peyton through his first year.

You didn't follow them in the 90s?

In other news, the Eagles are interviewing Lovie Smith. I'm cool with the interview, but I have my reservations. What's to say that he would finally find a good OC in Philly. He seems to lack an offensive ideology. They're also interviewing Gus Bradley, the DC for the Seahawks. Really intriguing candidate. He's done a great job developing a lot of mid-late round picks on the Seattle defense.

Rob Ryan sucks. Good move by the Cowboys. Really, he's had like two high-performing units in his entire career? Living off the reputation of his dad and brother.

@Brooks as well: I don't think he did a horrible job, but games like the Eagles last year I think it was where he failed to adjust to the Eagles game plan and just kept blitzing were an example of a guy with way too much pride in doing it his way instead of winning. I thought this year was much better, especially given the situation he had. Really I think his head had to roll because of the fans, and not so much his actual performance. Romo isn't going anywhere until the Cowboys have a replacement (which won't be this offseason), and Garrett isn't going anywhere either. DC is the next one on the list.

I don't even, regarding the running back coach.

You didn't follow them in the 90s?

I was a kid and not in the Dallas market/no internet during the early 90s, so my ability to "observe" was mostly limited to week old Monday morning papers and sports radio. Obviously under Jimmy Johnson they had something good going.

Edit: Rumors are Dallas is looking at switching back to the 4-3.

Ware's hand in the dirt is scary.

Looking at Dallas' cap and personnel situation on defense they are much better suited for the 4-3 right now. I don't think they can afford to keep Spencer. Because of the way they stocked the line attempting to play 3-4, pretty much any of their lineman can play on the 4-3 line. The thinking is to put Crawford and Ware on the ends and rotate the other guys inside. Bruce Carter goes weak side and Lee stays in the middle. Then you find a new guy or use one of the existing core on the strong side (Maybe Albright or Sims?).

Makes sense to me. The way we'll know is what kind of DC gets hired.

Rob Ryans is the most overrated coordinator in the NFL. I think people think he's good just cuz he looks and talks the part of a good DC, but his results are well below average. In his nine years as a DC, he's finished in the top ten in yards allowed once and has never finished in the top 10 in points allowed. Usually his units finish in the bottom third of the league in both categories. That's crappy, no matter how you look at it.

He did have a tough situation with all the injuries this year, but he didn't help it. When you have guys coming off the streets giving you major playing time you need to simplify the scheme. He refused to do that and as a result the players were confused. IIRC they had a ton of too many men on the field penalties. His unit was also undisciplined. They had 9 personal fouls in the last 6 games- including one on Ryan himself for running onto the field and yapping at Andre Smith of the Bengals. You just can't lead a unit when you have no self control over yourself.

Smart move by the Cowboys to cut him. As far as scheme, I think the Cowboys have the players to do 4-3 if they want. Ratliff could be a 4-3 DT and Ware can be a 4-3 end. Carter and Lee should work in the 4-3 as well. But the philosophical change Garrett referred to might also have more to do with discipline and approach then the scheme itself.

Oh, and RG3 did tear his ACL for the second time. Needed a graft from his other leg to repair it. You have to wonder if he'll still have the same burst after a second ACL surgery. Also, his 2013 season is now in jeopardy.

What about Butler?

I don't know where he really fits into things other than as a body. The Cowboys also have LBs from the 2012 draft that had little to no playing time because of injuries in Caleb McSurdy and Kyle Wilbur. Especially if the Boys move to a 4-3 I don't expect Butler to be resigned (he's a FA now IIRC) unless it's extremely cheap.

The Steelers already lost their offensive line coach, and now their offensive coordinator and director of football and business admnistration (aka the guy that does the contracts and salary cap) are interviewing for promotions with other teams tomorrow. Great.