NFL 2013

Noooooo! The Eagles restructured with Vick. He now has a one year contract (obviously at a much lower number than 15.5 mil) with the team. I hate that he will be on the Eagles for one more year, but still honestly feel that he will lose out to Foles or someone else in training camp. If he's the backup, I can live with it but still won't like it. If he's starting I would be irate. The guy is old, injury prone and so unbelievably stupid. I just hate him.

Eagles hired Billy Davis as their new DC. Doesn't have a very impressive resume, but I do like that he runs the 43/34 hybrid. It's such a fun defense to watch and can really confuse the hell out of offenses when run correctly. It will probably take at least two seasons to get all the proper players in place. Eagles really need a nose tackle and OLBs, not to mention the help they already needed in the secondary.

I do not understand how an Eagles fan could hate this deal with Vick, seriously what are you guys going to do with Foles? I doubt any draft pics will save a team this year, and you don't have to worry about being stuck with him...stupid to let him go, where he will definitely get picked up by probably 10+ other teams

I think Rob Ryan demonstrated the problems with "complex" defenses. I think simple but disguised is better. You could call a fairly vanilla defensive game but keep activating a random "times square" pre-snap formation at particular times, etc.

Every scheme--whether simple or complex--has inherent flaws. A bad coach like Rob Ryan will fail to cover up those flaws.

Great coaches like LeBeau, Johnson etc. prove that a complex defense can be elite. The #1 defense in the NFL this last year was Seattle and they're scheme is pretty complex as well. There is no one right answer, but I do think that when you're going up against the Mannings and Bradys of the world, you need to make them uncertain before the snap, otherwise they'll pick you apart.

I don't know why you wouldn't have expected this.

Vick paranoia/ Andy Reid shellshock.

I do not understand how an Eagles fan could hate this deal with Vick, seriously what are you guys going to do with Foles? I doubt any draft pics will save a team this year, and you don't have to worry about being stuck with him...stupid to let him go, where he will definitely get picked up by probably 10+ other teams

Foles is a better QB at this point in time and still has upside. Vick is a 33 year old whose physical skills are declining but who also lacks the intellect to make up for it. A 33 year old QB who can't read a defense. Honestly, I just want him gone. Watching him play is torture.

That said, I am confident that Foles will beat him out in training camp.

I do think that when you're going up against the Mannings and Bradys of the world, you need to make them uncertain before the snap, otherwise they'll pick you apart.

I think that probably goes for well over half of the QBs in the league.

Gregg Easterbrook uses the term "times square" defense for when the defense is all standing and kind of milling around pre-snap. Hard to identify anyone when they aren't any particular position. You could call anything. Probably the only thing it's not good for is against heavy run sets.

I think that probably goes for well over half of the QBs in the league.

Gregg Easterbrook uses the term "times square" defense for when the defense is all standing and kind of milling around pre-snap. Hard to identify anyone when they aren't any particular position. You could call anything. Probably the only thing it's not good for is against heavy run sets.

Yeah I agree, at this point there are enough good QBs that you need to really worry yourself with not being easy to read week in and week out. That is why I do like the 34/43 hybrid- you can take it in so many directions. The only issue is it requires such specific personnel to work at a high level.

Yeah seems like the "times square" scheme best for a 3rd and mid-long, or other obvious passing downs.

Noooooo! The Eagles restructured with Vick. He now has a one year contract (obviously at a much lower number than 15.5 mil) with the team. I hate that he will be on the Eagles for one more year, but still honestly feel that he will lose out to Foles or someone else in training camp. If he's the backup, I can live with it but still won't like it. If he's starting I would be irate. The guy is old, injury prone and so unbelievably stupid. I just hate him.

/QUOTE]

I guarantee Vick starts in Kelly's system.

Obviously the fans of the other 3 NFC East teams are hoping that Kelly can't make the pro transition. I think he'll do alright though. The one problem is that his biggest advantage was running the "Blur" offense, with often superior talent. It's harder to run the Blur in the NFL, and there is more parity.

Obviously the fans of the other 3 NFC East teams are hoping that Kelly can't make the pro transition. I think he'll do alright though. The one problem is that his biggest advantage was running the "Blur" offense, with often superior talent. It's harder to run the Blur in the NFL, and there is more parity.

The bolded part is a myth: http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/01/18/so-chip-kelly-had-superior-talent-at-oregon-huh/

I think Kelly will implement elements of the blur while dropping others. The main element he'll want to maintain is the uptempo dimension.

IMHO his Offense will be eaten up in the NFL. He'll be forced to change his style and be completely lost.

First of all, many elements of his offense are already finding success in the NFL. Belichick studied Kelly's offense and implemented a lot of the concepts into the Pats' offense. Obviously the pistol is having success and a lot of the single-wing stuff isn't too different from what the Skins did this year.

Second of all, why on earth would you assume that he doesn't plan on adjusting his scheme for the NFL and NFL personnel? If he came in to interviews with that asinine of a plan he never would have been hired.

It's not a myth. Oregon didn't play all conference games, and as that page indicated, within the conference there was a disparity.

It's not a myth, that page just leaves out comparing to "Podunk State at Podunk Town" that litters the schedules of major football schools.

What are you trying to say? Oregon wasn't anything in a collegiate sport until about 4 years ago when Chip implemented that system with sub par talent. I don't even think you watch Oregon games so I do not think you should come off as you know something. The only legitimate draft picks that I can think of are Blount(nobody TB RB now) and LaMicheal James(SF #3 RB) so not sure where their so called talent is at. Look at when they played Stanford, outsized and couldn't do anything.

It's not a myth. Oregon didn't play all conference games, and as that page indicated, within the conference there was a disparity.

It's not a myth, that page just leaves out comparing to "Podunk State at Podunk Town" that litters the schedules of major football schools.

So let me get this straight; your main point was that Oregon gets 2-3 games a year vs. mediocre interconference teams and that's what Kelly won't be able to adjust to? Come on, get serious.

USC had 32 top 100 recruits and 5 top 10 recruits in the last three years. Now THAT equals a notable advantage. 10 guys in the top 100? One guy in the top 10? That's not significant.