NFL 2013

It is, but they don't really have an option. Reid might figure he can improve Smith. Cassell has no fan patience remaining, and I would assume Reid has already determined he can't use him. It's certainly no worse than spending a 2nd round pick on the current crop of rookie QBs, so look at it that way.

Alex Smith is good pickup for them. He's a solid player who has the ability to win a superbowl with the right supporting cast. I think he's similar in ability to Joe Flacco.

Mathiäs;10561366 said:
Alex Smith is good pickup for them. He's a solid player who has the ability to win a superbowl with the right supporting cast. I think he's similar in ability to Joe Flacco.

Are you freaking serious? Flacco has one of the strongest arms in the NFL while Smith's arm strength is below average for an NFL starter. They are totally different QBs.

It is, but they don't really have an option. Reid might figure he can improve Smith. Cassell has no fan patience remaining, and I would assume Reid has already determined he can't use him. It's certainly no worse than spending a 2nd round pick on the current crop of rookie QBs, so look at it that way.

Yeah that's true about the other QBs in this draft, but personally as a new HC whose got a 3 year leash, I would rather just ride it out with a young QB and wait for the 2014 draft. Sucking for 2013 won't kill Reid. You're gonna invest a lot of money in Smith now, which will make it more financially complicated (though not impossible) to draft a QB high next year. On the whole I would be OK with this move if they gave up a 3rd and 4th or something of that sort, but 34th overall pick is just too much.

Am I crazy to think the Alex Smith trade was a steal? If Charles can stay healthy and the defense performs well again, I see no reason why this team can't make the playoffs..and for what, a 2nd round pick? I wish the Bills weren't pussies and went for that.

Am I crazy to think the Alex Smith trade was a steal? If Charles can stay healthy and the defense performs well again, I see no reason why this team can't make the playoffs..and for what, a 2nd round pick? I wish the Bills weren't pussies and went for that.

Andy Reid is the coach. Even if Charles stays healthy, he'll only be running the ball about 12-17 times a game. Smith will be throwing the ball 40-50 times a game. I really don't see this leading to a lot of wins.

I don't think Andy Reid is an idiot, Alex Smith is not that type of quarterback, at least in my opinion, and i've heard a lot of rumors that Bowe would likely leave which would leave a weak receiving corps, but I don't follow them that well.

I don't think Andy Reid is an idiot, Alex Smith is not that type of quarterback, at least in my opinion, and i've heard a lot of rumors that Bowe would likely leave which would leave a weak receiving corps, but I don't follow them that well.

Reid is not an idiot, but he does lack self-control. If at any point in a game his team is down by 7+ points, Reid almost always abandons the run. He also beleives that if a QB is in a slump they should "throw their way out of it." He's said that time and time again in press conferences. So that means even if Charles is running for 5 YPC while Smith is throwing dirt balls, Reid is gonna stick to the passing game in the hopes that Smith will get into a rhythm.

There's no reason to think Reid will not have Alex Smith throwing the ball 40+ times a game. He had Nick Foles, a 3rd round rookie, dropping back 40-50 times a game. He had Mike Vick, a quarterback who was in a massive slump and turning the ball over like mad, dropping back 40-50 times a game. This, by the way, is with 4 of the starters on the O-line out for most of the season.

Now he trades the 34th overall pick in the draft for Alex Smith and you think he's gonna try and "protect" him. I see no foundation for that line of reasoning. The only possibility is if OC Doug Peterson calls the plays and desires a more run orientated system. However, considering that he's an ex-QB whose entire coaching career has been with Andy Reid, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't think you can compare to what he's said in one organization and team to another. Has Smith ever thrown heavy? I cannot think of a time in the last two seasons, maybe if they establish an incredible quick passing game but other than that I don't think he will utilize him that way.

4 OL being out, McCoy being hurt doesn't necessarily make a good argument for run-heavy offense, I think Foles was just being tested, did anyone think he was going to save the season?

We shall see, but Alex Smith will make more of an impact on this team (especially if the Cassel being cut rumors are true) in the next 2-3 years than a 2nd round pick likely will be.

I don't think you can compare to what he's said in one organization and team to another. Has Smith ever thrown heavy? I cannot think of a time in the last two seasons, maybe if they establish an incredible quick passing game but other than that I don't think he will utilize him that way.

We shall see, but Alex Smith will make more of an impact on this team (especially if the Cassel being cut rumors are true) in the next 2-3 years than a 2nd round pick likely will be.

Exactly. Reid runs a WC style offense iirc, so that's primarily made up of quick passes. I think the thing that stands out to me the most last season is that with Vick struggling and then a new QB under center, McCoy was vastly underutilized, even in the passing game, which is arguably where he is at his most dangerous. I think Reid going to KC is a downgrade on Charles "stock".

BTW, sizing up the first round, I want Dallas to get Jonathan Cooper soooooo bad.

That's Reid's overall philosophy. Those are the principles by which he thinks an offense should be run in the modern era. I really don't understand why you think he's gonna change deep seated views simply because he's in a new city.

4 OL being out, McCoy being hurt doesn't necessarily make a good argument for run-heavy offense, I think Foles was just being tested, did anyone think he was going to save the season?

That's a horrible way to test a young QB. You want to give him a realistic chance to succeed, and unless your Andrew Luck, that requires a running game.

Also look beyond 2012. Reid has been pass heavy for most of his time in Philly and with basically every QB he's had. Moreover he has become increasingly pass obsessed as he's gotten older.

Dallas cut Sensabaugh (a meh safety, not really a loss) and franchised Spencer again. I do not like that move. I think Spencer is good but not worth 10+mil a year to play Defensive End.

Jerrah is forking out some serious cash:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8999047/jason-witten-brandon-carr-dallas-cowboys-reworking-deal-sources

I don't fully understand how this works, or why more teams can't just do this. Sign everyone to the veteran minimum and then fork out whatever signing bonus you want to get the players you want. No salary cap issue. With these deals reworked, Dallas is already nearly under the cap and they haven't touched Romo's extension yet.

There are few reasons more teams don't do this. First, the player must already be under contract for three years, at least. Otherwise there's no future years to push the money forward to. Second, you're borrowing against the future to free up space in the present. That money will effect future cap numbers. So it can help get a team out of a bind for the present season, but does minimize their resources in the future. For a team like the Cowboys who were pretty bad off with the cap, it was a good move, but in other scenarios (i.e. teams that are OK with the cap) it's probably not a good idea to compromise future resources.

Dallas cut Sensabaugh (a meh safety, not really a loss) and franchised Spencer again. I do not like that move. I think Spencer is good but not worth 10+mil a year to play Defensive End.

I agree. I think Spencer is slightly underrated, but it seems like they're overpaying; maybe they're working on a long term contract.

Win! :kickass:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...nquan-boldin-san-francisco-49ers-pick-sources

The Baltimore Ravens agreed to trade receiver Anquan Boldin to the San Francisco 49ers, the team they beat last month in the Super Bowl, sources confirmed to ESPN.

The Ravens will receive a sixth-round draft choice in return, the sources said.

Boldin, who is in Africa on a mission, needs to pass a physical before the trade with San Francisco becomes complete.

The trade agreement was earlier reported by the Baltimore Sun.

Ravens receiver Torrey Smith took news of the trade hard, venting through his Twitter account.

"This business is BS at times," he wrote.

While Smith was upset, Boldin's potential new quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, was excited by the trade when he spoke with ESPN.

"If it's true, it's a great trade," Kaepernick told ESPN. "We're happy to have him. Having a playmaker like that at receiver is something you always want. It's another weapon for our offense and our team."

Kaepernick added that he thought the Niners were getting Boldin at a great value.

"He's a great player," Kaepernick said. "I don't think you're going to find anybody in the sixth round to come in and play better than what he's doing right now."

The Ravens had reportedly asked Boldin to take a pay cut to help the team with its salary-cap situation. Boldin is scheduled to earn $6 million in the coming season. He carries a $7.531 million salary-cap figure.

Boldin told USA Today on Saturday that he was unwilling to slash his salary in order to stay with the team, citing "principles."

"At no point, no matter how well I played, would I come back to the table and say, 'I need more money.' The contract that I signed was the contract that I intended to play out," he told USA Today.

In the playoffs, Boldin caught 22 passes for 380 yards receiving (95 yards per game) and four touchdowns. He has led Baltimore in receiving yards in each of the past three seasons since being traded from Arizona.

A 6th rounder for Boldin? I swear I don't understand how a team like the Bills can't offer a mighty 5th rounder and win this deal..weird ass trades in the NFL

Because the Bills don't have a QB and therefore will not be a Super Bowl contender in 2013. Why waste resources- even just a 6th rounder- on a guy who will probably retire after 2013 unless you're a Super Bowl contender?

Love the Seahawks trade for Harvin. He really makes the Seahawks' offense difficult to gameplan for. I think the Seahawks have my favorite roster in the NFL. So many unique players.

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/03/06/explaining-the-cowboys-likely-future-pitfalls-of-restructured-contracts-in-more-detail/

^Good article explaining how the Cowboys are screwing themselves in the future with all these cap restructurings. At first I thought it was a good move by the Cowboys, but now that I understand the consequences better, I think it's safe to say the Cowboys have screwed themselves. Again.