NFL 2013

Speaking of Ernie Sims, Dallas resigned him to the vet minimum. I approve. I thought he was quite servicable filling in, and an offseason to prep certainly can't hurt. He's still in his 20s so it's not like he's old.

Apparently the Cowboys have less than 100 K in cap space, which means they will need to either cut or restructure even more contracts just in order to resign their draft picks. Did Anthony Spencer sign his tender yet? If not, they might want to reconsider that tag, considering the current market.

So I really like what the Eagles have done. They've gotten a lot of tough guys with chips on their shoulders on cheap, short-term deals. For the most part these aren't special players, but they do bring a work ethic, physicality and lack of entitlement that has been lacking from the Eagles the last few years. Conner Barwin is the one player who I think could be a steal. You could make a good case that he is a better and more gifted player than Paul Kruger, but since he's coming off a down year, the Eagles got him on the cheap. Can play either SAM or Preditor in the 4-3 under.

Pollard is still available, as are other notable safety FAs. Neither Spencer nor Romo have signed a LT contract, which means the Boys can still create more room. They will have more room as of June(but of course that's going to rookie contracts).

Pollard is still available, as are other notable safety FAs. Neither Spencer nor Romo have signed a LT contract, which means the Boys can still create more room. They will have more room as of June(but of course that's going to rookie contracts).

The problem is extending Romo and Spencer means paying it forward big time. It's gonna be tough for them to keep their young talent like Carter, Lee and Bryant when they're guaranteeing so much money to aging players (not Spencer, but most of the other guys they have or will restructure) in future years. Signing Pollard or whichever other safety will probably inconsequential in this respect since it'll probably be a one year deal.

The issue is really a 1-3 year issue, as that is how long it will be before the cap increases. The Boys are also sitting on a lot of dead money from the late 00s. It will take the next couple of years for that to clear. They have already restructured a bunch of deals.

That's kind of the point; they're repeating the same mistake and dramatically increasing the odds that there will be dead money on future caps. For example, the Cowboys will be paying big money to Demarcus Ware until he is 33, Witten until he is 36 and Austin until he is 33. And that's not even mentioning Romo, who is already 32 and about to get extended. Realistically, it's unlikely all those guys will all be contributing at a high level by the end of their contracts, which means the Cowboys are probably creating more dead money against future caps.

Oh I agree. It's a vicious cycle. They are forever having to push money forward because of having done so previously. Jerreh gets too free with his checkbook when he doesn't need to.

Ravens pick up Dumervil. Suggs and Dumervil is gonna be a beastly pass rushing duo. Funny, they let Kruger walk and get a better player for less money; Newsome knows how to run a team.

And for the Broncos this is a huge loss.

I agree re:Newsome (As I said before).

Reed and Pollard are both off the market.

I'm surprised everyones been so quiet about the offseason. On the other hand, I haven't seen any moves that are mind blowing. Ravens are getting slammed for losing a bunch of aging veterans. SeaHawks probably got the signing of the FA period so far and it was a trade.

Pretty sure the Dolphins won FA, and Harvin is overrated as hell. Wilson is still only going to throw maybe 20 passes a game

Pretty sure the Dolphins won FA, and Harvin is overrated as hell. Wilson is still only going to throw maybe 20 passes a game

The Dolphins did some reshuffling. The jury is going to be out on whether Wallace will open up that offense in Tannehills second year.

It doesn't matter how many times Wilson throws if Harvin is taking it to the house, not to mention the vertical threat provided is going to make it even easier for Lynch to beastmode.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/50010/on-the-anthony-spencer-tony-romo-extension-plans

Dallas is looking at Michael Huff and others.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/3/26/4149426/report-dallas-cowboys-agree-to-two-year-deal-with-justin-durant

The Lions were apparently ready to move on from Durant, favoring other players they had drafted. Reports also said that the New York Giants were interested in Durant's services as well.

:fu: :danceboy:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153969/article/michael-huff-wont-commit-to-capstrapped-cowboys

Damnit Jerrah, you and your overspending ways getting us into this mess.

Cowboys restructure Orton's contract, officially sign sign S Will Allen and LB Durant.

Durant can compete for the starting SAM spot. I don't expect Allen to be anything more than depth.

He'd be nothing more than a stop-gap as a starter. He obviously is comfortable taking the clipboard for decent compensation than dealing with the inevitable hate from any fanbase of a team who might take him as a starter.

I can't wait for the Season to start. Sunday is just not the same without Football. I've been watching Basketball occasionally, but I can't say I like it as much as the NFL.