NFL 2013

Romo deal done. Cowboys have cap space again but Huff is off the market. Hope the young guys pan out. However, I don't buy drafting Vaccarro in the first round. Offensive Line is a MUCH bigger need imo.

Jets trade Revis and don't really get that much for him. I guess it was a good move considering they had no intent of resigning him.

Draft is this Thursday. Who do ya'll want for your team? Anyone down for some sort of mock draft competition? Looks like it will be a really tough draft to predict.

Flynn went for a 5th rounder, he will be the most major part of the Raiders offense and Revis goes for a 1st rounder and a ridiculous 16 mil contract..Jets win big time there I think

Flynn went for a 5th rounder, he will be the most major part of the Raiders offense and Revis goes for a 1st rounder and a ridiculous 16 mil contract..Jets win big time there I think

Don't see how you can compare a stopgap QB that will be leading the most talentless and hopeless roster in the NFL to the best CB in the league. The contract isn't ridiculous because it's a year by year contract. Whenever Revis's talent level diminishes, the Bucs can cut him or restructure without any penalty on future years. Also the Bucs had a ton of cap space, so why not spend it?

Smart move by the Bucs given the lack of guaranteed money, although the headache of the prima donna will probably get old quickly.

The Raiders are not the worst team in the AFC. The Jets are rapidly looking like that team.

Don't see how you can compare a stopgap QB that will be leading the most talentless and hopeless roster in the NFL to the best CB in the league. The contract isn't ridiculous because it's a year by year contract. Whenever Revis's talent level diminishes, the Bucs can cut him or restructure without any penalty on future years. Also the Bucs had a ton of cap space, so why not spend it?

But Revis' impact for the Bucs will not be as large as Flynn for the Raiders

But Revis' impact for the Bucs will not be as large as Flynn for the Raiders

Unlikely. We still don't know too much about Flynn (he still only has one career start) but it sure looks like he's a top-tier backup with minimal upside. That kind of quarterback can be had pretty easily with a mid to late round draft pick, or even in free agency.

Revis on the other hand, if healthy, can literally shut down the best receivers in the game. In a division with receivers like Julio Jones, Roddy White, Steve Smith and Marquise Colston that's huge. Look specifically at what top receivers did in the close games Tampa lost.

- Nicks goes for 199 YDs 1 TD in 41-34 Giants win.
- Julio Jones goes for 147 1 TD in a 24-23 Falcons win.
- D. Thomas goes for 99 2 TD in a 31-23 Broncos win.
- Maclin goes for 104 1 TD in a 23-21 Eagles win.

Put Revis on those guys and I guarantee you those receivers have much tougher games.

IF Flynn plays well, then I can agree with that. That's a big if.

That's my point. He could save that offense or at least be better QB to them since Gannon, and what did they give up for him? A 5th rounder.

Unlikely. We still don't know too much about Flynn (he still only has one career start) but it sure looks like he's a top-tier backup with minimal upside. That kind of quarterback can be had pretty easily with a mid to late round draft pick, or even in free agency.

Revis on the other hand, if healthy, can literally shut down the best receivers in the game. In a division with receivers like Julio Jones, Roddy White, Steve Smith and Marquise Colston that's huge. Look specifically at what top receivers did in the close games Tampa lost.

- Nicks goes for 199 YDs 1 TD in 41-34 Giants win.
- Julio Jones goes for 147 1 TD in a 24-23 Falcons win.
- D. Thomas goes for 99 2 TD in a 31-23 Broncos win.
- Maclin goes for 104 1 TD in a 23-21 Eagles win.

Put Revis on those guys and I guarantee you those receivers have much tougher games.

I think corners are kind of overrated in a sense, Revis is considered at least a top3 CB in the NFL but I doubt he will single handedly win games or turn that defense around. We'll see, maybe he'll get 20 picks and dominate that division but I doubt it.

That's my point. He could save that offense or at least be better QB to them since Gannon, and what did they give up for him? A 5th rounder.

It's a matter of probability. Its far more probable that Revis will be a top 3 CB than it is that Flynn will be even a top 15 QB. Revis has far more value.

I think corners are kind of overrated in a sense, Revis is considered at least a top3 CB in the NFL but I doubt he will single handedly win games or turn that defense around. We'll see, maybe he'll get 20 picks and dominate that division but I doubt it.

Corner is a highly valuable position and is one of the most difficult positions to play; probably 2nd after QB. It requires a difficult combination of quick reaction, instincts and athleticism.

As far as overall value in roster building it usually goes something like this:

1. QB
2. LT, RDE (4-3)/ROLB (3-4)
3. CB

Some even have CB in tier two: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftology234tier1.php

As far as impact on a game, a CB can be huge. Think about the next time the Bucs play the Falcons. Revis can take on Jones 1-on-1 and there's a good chance Jones will have a minimal impact. Now the Bucs can double-team Roddy White or Tony Gonzalez. If necessary, they can blitz more, knowing that Ryan's primary target will be kept under control. Having a weapon like Revis on your defense opens up a ton of possibilities for the other players.

And as for ints, Revis does actually get a pretty good number of picks, considering the number of times balls are thrown his way.

DAMN IT.

Warmack and Cooper gone before Dallas picks. Guess I'm hoping for Vacarro now.

Edit: Damnit. Everyone I was hoping on in the first round is gone. Son of a bitch.

Dallas traded back to 31 for the 3/12 pick from the 49ers. That's fine with me. In fact, if they could trade back again I'd be happy. This draft is deep in solid players but all the "WOW" players I was interested in are gone. Better to stock up.

EJ Manuel, just hope we didn't draft him too early.

Based on your goofy QB logic, that's not possible. And sorry to say it, but he's probably gonna bust. QBs from big schools who are still projects after four years of starting usually don't work out. They shoulda just taken Austin themselves.

Loved the Eagles' pick of Lane Johnson. This dude is an athletic freak but also has a mean streak. I think in five years he'll be better than Fisher or Joeckel. This also allows the Eagles to move Herremans back into his natural guard postion.

Interesting that Geno Smith fell out of round one. I was totally opposed to taking him at 4, but he'd actually be good value at 34.

Dallas traded back to 31 for the 3/12 pick from the 49ers. That's fine with me. In fact, if they could trade back again I'd be happy. This draft is deep in solid players but all the "WOW" players I was interested in are gone. Better to stock up.

Cowboys got bad value in the trade and then reached for a need. Yes, Fredrick will probably start for them and be a good player, but you can get players like that much later in the draft.