NFL 2015

Maybe cf has a comment:

http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/10034/could-title-loss-bring-mariota-to-birds

If there was a knock on Kelly, it was that his offense, while innovative and effective, could be stifled by quality defenses with elite athletes. That certainly appeared to be part of what happened to Oregon against the Buckeyes. And it certainly was a theme that ran through the 2014 Eagles season.

The Eagles finished 10-6. They played eight games against teams that finished below .500. Their record in those games was 7-1. Against teams that finished 8-8 or better, the Eagles were 3-5. They averaged 34.8 points per game against losing teams and 24.5 points against winning teams.

Philadelphia played two games against teams with top-five defenses. Seattle, ranked first in yards allowed, held the Eagles to 14 points and 139 yards. San Francisco, ranked fifth, held them to zero offensive points (the Eagles scored twice on special teams and once on defense) and 213 yards. Those were the Eagles’ two lowest yardage totals of the season.

The Eagles also had issues besides the quality of their opponents. Foles played quarterback against San Francisco. Sanchez was the quarterback against Seattle. The two quarterbacks combined for 27 of the Eagles’ NFL-leading 36 turnovers.

Continuity at quarterback is important to any team, and certainly to the Eagles. Of course, having the right quarterback is just as important. Mariota may not be the ideal quarterback for every NFL team. For Kelly and the Eagles, he just might be the perfect fit.

Kelly's preferred offensive style of fast snap football only works when it works all the time - which it doesn't outside of the stupidly skewed college scheduling system. In the NFL you go against quality week in and week out, compared to the college ranks. This is why ball control offense, whether via the run or short pass, with a mistake free QB wins it all in the NFL. I hope they draft this dude. I can't wait for the day for all the Eagle fans to start waxing long for the McNabb days. You guys didn't appreciate, and you don't get the benefit now.

Maybe cf has a comment:

http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/10034/could-title-loss-bring-mariota-to-birds

Kelly's preferred offensive style of fast snap football only works when it works all the time - which it doesn't outside of the stupidly skewed college scheduling system. In the NFL you go against quality week in and week out, compared to the college ranks. This is why ball control offense, whether via the run or short pass, with a mistake free QB wins it all in the NFL. I hope they draft this dude. I can't wait for the day for all the Eagle fans to start waxing long for the McNabb days. You guys didn't appreciate, and you don't get the benefit now.

I don't really watch college football, so I can't say on Mariota. On the surface he seems like a good fit and if Kelly thinks he can get it done, then I'd be more than happy with drafting him, even if it meant trading up.

As for Eagles fans not appreciating McNabb, that's media produced bullshit. Sure there were a few haters, but most Eagles fans appreciated McNabb. At the same time he did have some fundamental flaws in his mechanics that made him inconsistent and that held him back from being a great QB. And you can't criticize the move of trading him, because he straight up fell off a cliff when he went to Washington and Minny.

As for Eagles fans not appreciating McNabb, that's media produced bullshit. Sure there were a few haters, but most Eagles fans appreciated McNabb. At the same time he did have some fundamental flaws in his mechanics that made him inconsistent and that held him back from being a great QB. And you can't criticize the move of trading him, because he straight up fell off a cliff when he went to Washington and Minny.

I must have only been meeting Eagles fans who fell for the bullshit. Obviously when he was done he was done, but I never heard a good thing about him from Eagles fans. Not that Cowboys fans have been much better in regards to Romo.

Hearing rumors the Giants are hiring Steve Spagnuolo this morning and I'm getting excited. It was such a fun Defense to watch. I really love his (Jim Johnson *hat tip*) style of defense that attacks heavy with the blitz from all positions on the field. His fakes are also crafty, the guy really has a knack for it.

Well the Giants had quite a different defense during those years, particularly in the front 4. Strahans are rare and they don't even have an Osi atm.

Only thing I hate about FA lists are when they include players you know aren't going anywhere, ie Dez. Thomas x2 from the Broncos are also unlikely to be gone.

Some decent quality in O-line FAs, even if some age. Going to be interesting to see what happens there across the NFL. Also wondering if Dallas brings Free back. Parnell wasn't quite as consistent, but he may become the starting right tackle if Free doesn't take less than what he might could get elsewhere. Garrett is big on youth and Free is getting a little long in the tooth."

Guys like Suh or Fairley are of major interest to teams with DL problems, if they make it out of Detroit. I doubt guys like Maxwell will make it out of their current teams.

Edit: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/12167880/bill-callahan-re-sign-dallas-cowboys-wants-consider-other-teams

So it looks like Garrett, Marinelli, and Linehan are all staying. I didn't expect Callahan to hang around after the demotion, he would have been gone last year if Jones had let him leave. Pretty stoked about finally getting some continuity in the main coaching staff and with quality guys on top if it. Dallas has a 2-3 year window with Romo and the assistant staff to do something awesome. The rest of the team is young and should only be improving. Need a "Haley and Sanders" sort of addition, whether by FA or draft to become dominant.

Well the Giants had quite a different defense during those years, particularly in the front 4. Strahans are rare and they don't even have an Osi atm.

This is true but the guy we had (Fewell) got stale and predictable fast. He did not blitz, wasn't creative and just sat back and gave the QB all the time in the world. He refused to adapt and be aggressive at the right time.

They still finished 4th in sacks and have potential to be a disruptive defense with Spag. JPP had 12 on a bad year and I have high expectations for Kennard, Moore and Hankins next year. Ayers is a decent rotation guy and i'm hoping if they do get Spag they go grab Osi for one last ride.

The prophecy must be fulfilled

and my guy is officially hired.

2mw7cye.jpg

Bully.

11-reasons-ron-swanson-is-my-perfect-man-1-20397-1374468746-0_big.jpg

A Vet combine? really? Guess they are trying to fill all the mostly should-be-empty air on NFL Network.

Edit: Fuck you Callahan.

Holy shit. So today Jerry Jones just admitted that criticism of his work as a GM was legitimate and that his decision making improved based on listening to all the input he has deferred to - including his son and McClay etc.

The clouds are parting in Dallas!

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2015/01/15/cowboys-announce-garrett-marinelli-linehan-contracts

You can skip to around the 28:30 minute mark if you want to see Jerrah finally getting real. At around 29:30 he says "the group was right" - that is right in the criticism.

Edit:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/1/15/7549445/jerry-jones-the-gm-who-really-isnt-dallas-cowboys-will-mcclay-stephen-jones-jason-garrett

Also notice the clear change after Garrett came on board. For the first time under Jerry, the team was going for decidedly unsexy but ultimately very productive offensive linemen. The team is still trading, but at least has clearly hit on 75% of the picks.

Although the head coach is not in charge of the draft, he should be in charge of the blueprint for the team overall. And if Garrett is good at anything, it is making, communicating, and executing a plan. He calls it the "process", but that is what he does. His promotion to the top coaching job coincides with the growing influence of a couple of other key pieces, Stephen Jones and Will McClay. They have bought into Garrett's long-term vision for the team, and are also very good at what they do. Since Johnson left, there was only one other head coach who had both a clear vision for the team and the ability to sell it to Jerry, Bill Parcells. And it is certainly arguable that he never got the owner as convinced of what he wanted to do as Garrett has.

Parcells also was probably not as good as Garrett is at working with other key members of the staff. One of the amazing things about Garrett is that he has absolutely no interest in who gets credit for anything. He does not care about what anyone else thinks, because he has no need for anyone to validate him. He believes fully in what himself and what he is doing.

Because of his unique position, Jerry is always going to be just as good as the advice he gets, and that is also influenced by how much he trusts the people giving him that advice. All appearances are that he now has as much faith in his three key advisers, Garrett, Stephen, and McClay, as he has ever had in any subordinates.

This is what "anything" looks like

1. Mark Sanchez
2. Jake Locker
3. Brian Hoyer
4. Matt Moore
5. Ryan Mallett
6. Christian Ponder
7. Tarvaris Jackson
8. Shaun Hill
9. Michael Vick
10. Matt Hasselbeck
11. Colt McCoy