NFL 2018

viewerfromnihil

Vein-Marbled Tower
May 29, 2008
Berlin, Germany
I've been a Dez defender all season, but I've given up on him at this point. I think one of the issues is with Romo he was a deep threat. With Dak, Garrett is simply not calling any deep balls. Dez was never hot with catches within 10 yards and now it's like he's psyching himself out.

Priorities in the next draft need to be putting some talent in the receiving corp and filling the holes in the offensive line. A new playbook would be nice too. Out with the vanilla. Bring the shots downfield back. Teams that depend wholly on their running back don't make championships.

I'm pretty happy with Dallas's moves in the off-season draft picks thus far. The defense was mostly solid last year except for when Lee wasn't in the line up. Hopefully Vander Esch can help to shore this up. I was hoping they would draft an offensive lineman high, but didn't think it was going to happen. Glad to see I was proven wrong. What are your thoughts on the draft thus far, @Dak ?

Sad to see Witten go (I don't think its official yet, but this isn't the first time the prospect of retiring this year has been brought up), but if he winds up in the announcer booth, I won't complain too much. Offensively and defensively, Dallas has suddenly become a pretty young team.

Reactions: Dak
I'm pretty happy with Dallas's moves in the off-season draft picks thus far. The defense was mostly solid last year except for when Lee wasn't in the line up. Hopefully Vander Esch can help to shore this up. I was hoping they would draft an offensive lineman high, but didn't think it was going to happen. Glad to see I was proven wrong. What are your thoughts on the draft thus far, @Dak ?

Sad to see Witten go (I don't think its official yet, but this isn't the first time the prospect of retiring this year has been brought up), but if he winds up in the announcer booth, I won't complain too much. Offensively and defensively, Dallas has suddenly become a pretty young team.

I'm a fan of most of the moves but at the same time I've been beaten down to significant cynicism by the non-roster related problems in Dallas and the league at large since the last CBA. On the upside, the sorts of gross roster mismanagement endemic to the post-JJohnson era seem to mostly be corrected at this point, with a caveat to the perplexing ongoing difficulty of developing a competent set of safeties and LB depth. If I had any issue with a roster move it was letting Hitchens walk. It seems that the Dallas FO is finally beyond the "sexy" draft mindset, and Jerry didn't even take his "wildcat" 2nd rounder this year. LB and G were positions of need. Still need S, LB, DT, and TE, for depth if nothing else. Churn churn. Oh, and cut fucking Chaz Green.

Witten might be my favorite Cowboy ever, but he needs to retire. His 5 yards and down on 3rd and 6 over the last couple of years just doesn't cut it, and his blocking was in decline. Time to make these young guys earn their money. The receiving corps may or may not be improved at this point, but I don't see them as worse without Bryant and Witten. It's 2018, not 2014. 4 years is an eternity in the NFL.

He seemed real excited about his old team being division champs. Not sure why you're so excited about a backup tight-end the Eagles spent two picks on.

Everyone tryna imitate Drew this year. It's amusing.

He seemed real excited about his old team being division champs. Not sure why you're so excited about a backup tight-end the Eagles spent two picks on.

There are no starting spots open on the Eagles' roster, so I have no problem with them taking a luxury pick and honestly, the team is so deep that it's gonna be hard for too many late round picks to make the team. As for the player, I can't say I've seen any South Dakota State games, but he looks like a good athlete. Peterson is super creative, so I'm sure he'll find ways to use Goedert to create mismatches.

Soooooo nada. I don't know if Dallas had Goedert pegged on their draft board or not, but I'm glad the Eagles burned two picks for someone I'm glad (at this point) Dallas didn't pick. There's only so many balls to go around, and under Garrett the TE is a blocker first, which is what the actual TE they selected (two rounds later) is good at. If there's anything I've ever been jealous about in regards to Eagle football (or just about any other team really) it's the use of screens. Dallas seems to be perpetually allergic to RB screens under any coach, no matter how effective they are in the sparse usage of them (eg @Pittsburgh 2016). Get Zeke the ball in space!!11!1!1!

Soooooo nada. I don't know if Dallas had Goedert pegged on their draft board or not, but I'm glad the Eagles burned two picks for someone I'm glad (at this point) Dallas didn't pick. There's only so many balls to go around, and under Garrett the TE is a blocker first, which is what the actual TE they selected (two rounds later) is good at. If there's anything I've ever been jealous about in regards to Eagle football (or just about any other team really) it's the use of screens. Dallas seems to be perpetually allergic to RB screens under any coach, no matter how effective they are in the sparse usage of them (eg @Pittsburgh 2016). Get Zeke the ball in space!!11!1!1!

Eh, I'm guessing you've seen as many South Dakota State games as me, and many experts had a high grade on Goedert. I feel good about the pick and could care less about the 5th rounder we traded to move up. I trust Howie Roseman's decision making and Doug Peterson's ability to use talent. Like any draft pick, it might not work out, but for now I feel good about adding another weapon at arguably the thinnest position on the roster.

Eh, I'm guessing you've seen as many South Dakota State games as me, and many experts had a high grade on Goedert. I feel good about the pick and could care less about the 5th rounder we traded to move up. I trust Howie Roseman's decision making and Doug Peterson's ability to use talent. Like any draft pick, it might not work out, but for now I feel good about adding another weapon at arguably the thinnest position on the roster.

Well I'll grant you Roseman and Peterson's abilities at this point, and the Eagles have earned some gloating capital about the SB. I just wouldn't be gloating about the draft day performance by Akers or the value of the pick. Akers bumbled the Pearson ripoff, it's a backup, and there's no evidence it screwed the DC board. As a lifelong hardcore DC fan, I'm not upset by the "leap" either. I'd rather a starter at LG than a situational player at TE.

What do you mean? The Cowboys fans got trolled by a kicker in hipster glasses in their own stadium. It was hilarious.

As for "it's a backup" like I said before, anyone the Eagles drafted would have been a backup. Realistically, there aren't any openings at starter. I believe the backup tight ends played something like 40% of the snaps last year, so Goedert has the potential to get plenty of snaps.

well, we got our 'QB' and I guess time will tell how good he is. They say he's a white Cam Newton so maybe that's why our Panthers staff liked him so much. Trade up wasnt bad but almost everyone claims Rosen is the better prospect now and the future. Jackson going 32 makes me wonder if we could have got him @ 22 and Edmunds @ 12. Edmunds is supposedly a beast and only 19 so that's exciting, and our LBs werent that awesome last year. But we got 2 late WRs picked and only Kerley in FA so I imagine this year is going to be rough to watch

I'll go on record saying that Kris Richard is both the FA pickup of the year and that he will probably be the near future DC. Sleeper: TE Schultz is going to be the starter at some point this season unless Rico just becomes amazazazing.

mes2xtikchshg9cgczhr.jpg

Isn't it beautiful?

Dallas lookin pretty shitty on O right now. Oline opening no holes and giving up sacks. DLine finally looking good only 2 and 4 years too late. Panthers having to blatantly hold almost every pass play. Pretty bad when Kalil is grabbing facemasks because he can't do anything else.

Go figure the weakness is turned into a strength right when the previous strength goes to weakness.