NIGHTWISH 2007 USA TOUR

I had no issues with the crowd. Keep in mind that the Nightwish show was sold out, and now we already have another date scheduled for next year. Therion's tour probably isn't drawing nearly as well, and now we hear rumblings of them not returning to the U.S. So take your pick... A sold out show with a few bad elements walking around, or a miniscule crowd featuring you, a few friends and some fellowe forumers, but maybe that band does'nt come back due to poor ticket sales.

My main point that is being missed is that the crowd is that I dont mind crowded shows...it is th fact that when a band gets larger...more and more people show up who normally would never go to a metal show or if they do it is because it is a novelty for them to do so, so behavior at the show is different. Of course Therions tour isnt doing Nightwish numbers. I am really curious to see the next tour this May and see how it does in Chicago since it is at the Pearl Room who does zero advertising and is way out in the farmlands. If someone came to ProgPower acting the same way there would be a million post about how we need to keep these people under control.

Funny, I am not a yuppie fan myself but Ive never seen anyone like that ever get kicked out of a show for anything. All of those that I have seen kicked out for things like smacking a bottom(not their own!!), elbowing, fighting, throwing beer, standing when they should be sitting and being total assholes about it and in one instance smacking a young kid(not there own either) have been drunk adult metal heads. I've also never seen someone dancing so much/largely? at a show that it annoys someone else. That would be the people moshing beating the crap out of the front row. Mabye its an area thing versus a band thing....

There really weren't too many yuppie-types at Nightwish. Though there were two teenage girls in front of Al and I that were there with their parents, none of whom listened to any metal outside of Nightwish. But the girls weren't idiots, they were there to enjoy the show, and they had a good time. And I chatted with them about horses. :D

Hmm, maybe you guys were still worn out from the Therion show? :) In addition to the three mentioned above, they played "Ever Dream", "Dark Chest of Wonders", and "Sleeping Sun". So, six pre-DPP songs, which is probably as many as any band has ever played when touring on a new album with a new singer.

They might have even played one or two of the other ones mentioned ("She Is My Sin", "Slaying the Dreamer"), but I've ignored Nightwish between 'Oceanborn' and 'Once', so I don't really remember. And if they did cut them from the normal setlist, it was probably so they could make it in under the Chicago curfew (which is also the reason that Paradise Lost played most of their set while I was still outside waiting in line).

Neil

I was definitely tired, I did work all day (8 am - 7 pm). I do remember Dark Chest of Wonders and maybe Ever Dream. They definitely didn't play Slaying the Dreamer I love that song and would have remembered for sure!

You could be totally right on the curfew thing - I sure wish bands would quit doing all ages shows so they can play longer. I don't like my show getting cut short so that minors can get home on time. It's just plain weird to have a show end so early!

orbweaver said:
There really weren't too many yuppie-types at Nightwish.

Were you on the floor? Around the bar, there were tons of the yuppie-types. I am not saying that you have to have long hair and wear a black t-shirt to attend a metal show but there is definitely a difference between normal metal show attendees and these folks I'm referring to. Kind of like the difference between "bikers" and the new suburban "harley owners". Many of these folks have just heard the new "pop" songs and don't even like metal. By and large, they are also kind of rude, hugely arrogant and pompous.
There was a couple near us (left side behind the sound board just next to the giant pole) and it seemed that the guy knew the band, and brought his girlfriend. She danced to the new pop songs, but was completely pissed off at the guy standing next to her that was headbanging. Her expression was priceless - like "What IS that?".

It definitely seems to me that Nightwish is going more pop and that's cool for them, they'll probably make a lot more money, but in my personal opinion, I consider that pretty much selling out. It's too bad for me, because I used to really like them.

I think it's kinda neat for parents & kids to be at a show together. Sure you might get a few snickers, or if you're the kid and your parent is there for supervision, it could be embarrassing. But I saw what looked like at least one family at the Worcester show where both generations were there for the bands and that's cool. I've tried to get my dad into metal and took him to one show (DT) but so far have not had much success. Families who have this kind of common ground between parents and kids seems like a good thing to me.

I think it's kinda neat for parents & kids to be at a show together. Sure you might get a few snickers, or if you're the kid and your parent is there for supervision, it could be embarrassing. But I saw what looked like at least one family at the Worcester show where both generations were there for the bands and that's cool. I've tried to get my dad into metal and took him to one show (DT) but so far have not had much success. Families who have this kind of common ground between parents and kids seems like a good thing to me.
Works for me! :headbang:
I took my son two Euro festivals this year; Bang Your Head in Germany and Tuska in Finland. We had a BLAST!
We also went to the Nighwish show in Worcester for his home-coming celebration. I have to say, I never have more fun at a show then when I'm with Ben. His enthusiasm is contagious and I end up acting half my age - a very GOOD thing. :Smokin::p

I saw what appeared to be a father & son at the Detroit Symphony X show this summer, and from their expressions it looked like a true bonding experience :)

Man, that sounded way sappier than I intended

Works for me! :headbang:
I took my son two Euro festivals this year; Bang Your Head in Germany and Tuska in Finland. We had a BLAST!
We also went to the Nighwish show in Worcester for his home-coming celebration. I have to say, I never have more fun at a show then when I'm with Ben. His enthusiasm is contagious and I end up acting half my age - a very GOOD thing. :Smokin::p

I don't disagree at all. I've been going to concerts with my parents my whole life. I don't know how curfew works exactly. I thought if you were accompanied by a parent then you could be out past curfew, but maybe I'm wrong. Prog Power was an all ages show and it didn't force it to end at 10:30 to accommodate curfew. That's my only gripe - I've been hearing all over the Chicago area that shows have to end early to accommodate curfew for all ages shows.

I saw what appeared to be a father & son at the Detroit Symphony X show this summer, and from their expressions it looked like a true bonding experience :)

Man, that sounded way sappier than I intended

I go to EVERY show with at least one of my sons. Our first show together was DT in March of 2000. He was 12. When they came back in August he and his 6 year old brother went too.

Those guys are now 19 and 14 and the shows we have seen together:
*SX - yes us too.
*DT - several more times
*Rush - several times
*Kamelot
*Sonata Arctica - twice
*Therion
*Dragonforce - several times
*TSO - a family affair. Everybody - wife and 5 kids - goes.

Of course we will be at Nightwish in Dallas, along with at least one of my daughters; and maybe, if I can convince them, the whole family.

Yes, it is a great experience going to the shows with my kids. We usually have a blast....

I go to EVERY show with at least one of my sons. Our first show together was DT in March of 2000. He was 12. When they came back in August he and his 6 year old brother went too.

Those guys are now 19 and 14 and the shows we have seen together:
*SX - yes us too.
*DT - several more times
*Rush - several times
*Kamelot
*Sonata Arctica - twice
*Therion
*Dragonforce - several times
*TSO - a family affair. Everybody - wife and 5 kids - goes.

Of course we will be at Nightwish in Dallas, along with at least one of my daughters; and maybe, if I can convince them, the whole family.

Yes, it is a great experience going to the shows with my kids. We usually have a blast....

How could I forget Blind Guardian in Houston? Long drive from Dallas to Houston. We got home at 4:45AM.....

I know one thing that pissed me off at the Worcester show was this pair of girls up by the sound board, which is where I was since I got in too late to be able to get near the rail and I'm too short to be anywhere on the floor that isn't right near the railing and still see. They were sitting down near the sound board, and while one of them glanced at the stage every now and again, the other one didn't look up from her phone ONCE the entire evening. She was texting the whole time. Seriously, who pays for a concert to text the whole time?

I know if I'm at a show and it's inbetween bands, or during a band I don't like, I'll text back and forth with a friend or two if I don't have anyone to talk to, but Nightwish was headlining. If you don't like them, why were you still there?

I don't know how curfew works exactly.

It depends on the curfew law. As far as I know, Chicago is the only city in the area to have such a law; the suburbs aren't affected. And I don't know how many other places in the country have curfew laws, but it's probably not a lot (unsurprisingly, they regularly get challenged in court). Anyway, the law in Chicago states that kids under 17 have to be home by 10:30 on weekdays, and 11:30 on weekends. They're exempt if accompanied by a parent, but in general, music venues doing all-ages shows just require the shows to be done sometime before the curfew.

I had been thinking that the weekend curfew time was earlier than it actually is, so maybe the Nightwish show wasn't especially affected by it (I don't really know what time it finished). I know that weekday all-ages shows at Metro shoot to be done before 10pm though.

I was actually expecting the crowd to be a lot younger than it was (especially after seeing that myspace-views info), but beyond that, it seemed like a perfectly normal crowd to me....?

Neil