NIGHTWISH 2007 USA TOUR

I've never been to a show that was affected by a curfew. The only show I've been to that had to end at a specific time was Opeth in 2006, because on a few days of the week, like Saturday (which was the day of the show) the venue (Lupo's) turned into a club at I think 11.

Fair enough, but blasting someone for skipping? MOVING too "pop?" ... It just seems rediculious.

Man. Are you just trolling or what? I didn't "blast" them. I was just trying to give my impressions and trying to identify what about her performance didn't do it for me. In fact, I said, about her skipping thing, "which is cool." Therefore, I was NOT blasting her, just commenting on my impression of it. Lighten up man.

I've never been to a show that was affected by a curfew.

A few years ago we saw Iced Earth at The Metro in Chicago. This was with Jag Panzer and Evergrey opening for them. The Metro actually shut off the power to the band while they were playing.

One of the bartenders at The Pearl Room said something about everybody had to be out by 11:30 due to curfew and it being an all ages show.

I know one thing that pissed me off at the Worcester show was this pair of girls up by the sound board, which is where I was since I got in too late to be able to get near the rail and I'm too short to be anywhere on the floor that isn't right near the railing and still see. They were sitting down near the sound board, and while one of them glanced at the stage every now and again, the other one didn't look up from her phone ONCE the entire evening. She was texting the whole time. Seriously, who pays for a concert to text the whole time?

I was standing on that level in front of the soundboard (next to the garbage can) for all of NW and if I remember correctly the girls you're referring to would have been toward the left (when facing the stage). I didn't notice any gross texting although it would definitely be annoying if the texting people were blocking the view of people who wanted to watch the stage. I was stuck behind some tall people so I had a hard time seeing, but it wasn't too bad. There were a few irritating things going on by me, but nothing serious.

In fact, I said, about her skipping thing, "which is cool." Therefore, I was NOT blasting her, just commenting on my impression of it. Lighten up man.

Really? I guess I misread it then. I could have sworn you said it was too "pop". Which, I'm sorry, but I didn't realise there was a way to move more metally than most that was accepted at shows.

I found it to be a rediculious statement is all. I'm giving my critique of your impression of the show. Lighten up. :p

I
Were you on the floor? Around the bar, there were tons of the yuppie-types. I am not saying that you have to have long hair and wear a black t-shirt to attend a metal show but there is definitely a difference between normal metal show attendees and these folks I'm referring to. Kind of like the difference between "bikers" and the new suburban "harley owners". Many of these folks have just heard the new "pop" songs and don't even like metal. By and large, they are also kind of rude, hugely arrogant and pompous.
There was a couple near us (left side behind the sound board just next to the giant pole) and it seemed that the guy knew the band, and brought his girlfriend. She danced to the new pop songs, but was completely pissed off at the guy standing next to her that was headbanging. Her expression was priceless - like "What IS that?".

We were not on the floor. I refused to be on the floor because people like to mosh at nightwish. However, none of that happened at this show. But I digress...I was by the bar stage left.

We were not on the floor. I refused to be on the floor because people like to mosh at nightwish. However, none of that happened at this show. But I digress...I was by the bar stage left.

A major reason I can't wait to see them at The Chance in Poughkeepsie.

It was a good show...setlist was a bit short, but I didn't mind the crowd like most people. It's a good thing when the venue can sell out and Nightwish doesn't have to, imo.

Only problem was that any concert after Therion seems lame :erk:

It depends on the curfew law. As far as I know, Chicago is the only city in the area to have such a law; the suburbs aren't affected. And I don't know how many other places in the country have curfew laws, but it's probably not a lot (unsurprisingly, they regularly get challenged in court). Anyway, the law in Chicago states that kids under 17 have to be home by 10:30 on weekdays, and 11:30 on weekends. They're exempt if accompanied by a parent, but in general, music venues doing all-ages shows just require the shows to be done sometime before the curfew.

Both Minneapolis & St Paul have curfews. All age shows have to be over by 10:00pm. 18+ or 21+ shows can go until bar close. Sometimes the early shows are welcome during the work week.

Works for me! :headbang:
I took my son two Euro festivals this year; Bang Your Head in Germany and Tuska in Finland. We had a BLAST!
We also went to the Nighwish show in Worcester for his home-coming celebration. I have to say, I never have more fun at a show then when I'm with Ben. His enthusiasm is contagious and I end up acting half my age - a very GOOD thing. :Smokin::p

My 19 and 16 year old daughters are more stoked for this show than I am, if that is possible. It is on a school night, but fuck it--they will not remember the classes on any given day, but I hope they remember the NW concert forever.

Plus, you cannot have a new audience of PP fans unless the old audience helps them along!

Both Minneapolis & St Paul have curfews. All age shows have to be over by 10:00pm. 18+ or 21+ shows can go until bar close. Sometimes the early shows are welcome during the work week.

Which is why I love when acts like Satch or Vai come through Chicago. They'll do two shows back to back, one of them an all ages and the other a 21+. Not sure that Nightwish could do that sorta thing, but all ages shows can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.

James and I will be there!!! Tess and her mom might be coming down and staying with us and going, too!!!! (now you have to, girl, since I just announced it!! :heh:)
BAHAHAHA!!!! I will be there Miss Lady! :headbang: Can't wait! Welllll, actually I CAN wait because being there means I am "home" from Denmark. :cry: I am VERY much looking forward to seeing NW again, though. It's been toooooo long.

Orbweaver bought my ticket for the show (same as with Therion. No, I'm not a cheap-ass! I've paid for both of us for a lot of shows since we started dating, including ProgPower and the travel costs that came with it). I thought I would like Nightwish more now that Annette is on vocals, and I was right. I thought Annette handled the older material very well, with only a few mishaps. The new material was dead on. One surprise for me was that Marco's vocals didn't annoy me nearly as much as they do on the albums. He sounded much cleaner on stage.

I understand what Yippee is saying about the pop element that Annette brings to the songs. However, I would argue that the pop element was always in the music in the first place. The only reason a lot of people didn't notice it was because of Tarja's (in my opinion) out-of-place vocals. I just think that it makes sense that the songs translate the way they do with Annette on vocals. When I hear the older material with Annette, I hear it the way I would envision it if I wrote it.

Some would say that this new sound is attracting a new crowd. I say it's just the effect that a band's growing popularity has. As Kamelot and Sonata Arctica grew more popular, more goth and emo kids starting attending their shows. As Dream Theater grew more popular, more Abercrombie assholes started attending their shows. As Iced Earth and Blind Guardian became more popular, more death metal moshers started to appear at their shows. It comes with the territory.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

However, I would argue that the pop element was always in the music in the first place. The only reason a lot of people didn't notice it was because of Tarja's (in my opinion) out-of-place vocals. I just think that it makes sense that the songs translate the way they do with Annette on vocals. When I hear the older material with Annette, I hear it the way I would envision it if I wrote it.

Met-Al
Well, said! That's it! And Tuomas has alluded to that in many interviews. Tarja was an amazing voice but it was "odd" in the mix, most noticeably live. Kill me Tarja fans, but it was a juxtaposition of classic vocals to rock/metal compositions that, while intriguing at first, got a bit strange to many people. So, is it a sell out to change the vocals or just a natural progression? Well, that will be debated, without resolution, forever, but as much as I grew to appreciate the odd mix of Tarja's vocals, Anette's are so much more in tune with Tuomas's music. And it just feels so damn good. [/opinon mode off]

Well, said! That's it! And Tuomas has alluded to that in many interviews. Tarja was an amazing voice but it was "odd" in the mix, most noticeably live. Kill me Tarja fans, but it was a juxtaposition of classic vocals to rock/metal compositions that, while intriguing at first, got a bit strange to many people. So, is it a sell out to change the vocals or just a natural progression? Well, that will be debated, without resolution, forever, but as much as I grew to appreciate the odd mix of Tarja's vocals, Anette's are so much more in tune with Tuomas's music. And it just feels so damn good. [/opinon mode off]

Definitely keep that opinion mode on lady! Very interesting thoughts by you and my friend Met-Al both. I'll have to chew on that a bit.