Nominate Albums for forthcoming Best of 2010-2020 Tourney

Really digging this Hesychast album.

Havent hated anything Ive listened to thus far. I will say that all the albums on the weak side of spectrum have been the ones most heavily lauded outside of RC circles. (DSO, MGLA, CDG)

Though even DSO surprised me in that I didnt hate it. Better than the rest of their masturbatory horse shit.

Reactions: SonOfNun
That DSO didnt leave an impression. Just bland.

Arch Matheos just aint my thang. Ive never been into the whole prog metal stuff.

Ludicra isnt bad, I guess. The vocals feel off though

the inquisition isnt horrible. it makes for decent background music. havent listened to mmmmglah yet.

the inquisition guy definitely wants to be abbath

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Ildra definitely has its moments. The penultimate song Swa Cawad se Eardstapa is pretty stunning. I've spun this album about 4/5 times in a row now, I need to speed up.

Reactions: J.
Ildra definitely has its moments. The penultimate song Swa Cawad se Eardstapa is pretty stunning. I've spun this album about 4/5 times in a row now, I need to speed up.

That one and song #2 are my faves. Great emotive stuff going on

I still fucking hate ICS Vortex's'x vocals. Every time he joins a band I stop buying their albums.
i agree. well "fucking hate" is going too far, but i'm not a fan.

he just really freaking oversings, too many frills and weird acrobatics

that said, i probably like vintersorg even less, at least in the borknagar context

Reactions: Krilons Resa
"The Archaic Course" is a brilliant album that simply couldn't have been the same with Vortex. All of the performances are so 100% genuine and raw that I think his effortless vocal wankery really fits the bill. It's a shame how this album is constantly overlooked as the stepping stone between Garm and the over-produced prog/viking stuff that they're known for now. It's easily my favorite Bork album. Also just for the record, "Quintessence" is one of the worst sounding records of all time. A mixing and mastering nightmare.

I don't really care for any newer Vortex stuff (Arcturus, later Borknagar, etc.) because it sounds like he's trying way too hard. Vintersorg didn't truly begin the obnoxious over-singing until "Visions From the Spiral Generator" and "Empiricism". Those are great albums, but I can see how his style would be fatiguing for most ears.

His EP all of the way through "Cosmic Genesis" though? Come on... classic.

I like 5 minutes of ICS Vortex per album

So you favor Dimmu Borgir then?

"The Archaic Course" is a brilliant album that simply couldn't have been the same with Vortex. All of the performances are so 100% genuine and raw that I think his effortless vocal wankery really fits the bill. It's a shame how this album is constantly overlooked as the stepping stone between Garm and the over-produced prog/viking stuff that they're known for now. It's easily my favorite Bork album. Also just for the record, "Quintessence" is one of the worst sounding records of all time. A mixing and mastering nightmare.

I don't really care for any newer Vortex stuff (Arcturus, later Borknagar, etc.) because it sounds like he's trying way too hard. Vintersorg didn't truly begin the obnoxious over-singing until "Visions From the Spiral Generator" and "Empiricism". Those are great albums, but I can see how his style would be fatiguing for most ears.

His EP all of the way through "Cosmic Genesis" though? Come on... classic.

That's true about Quintessence and I largely agree about Archaic Course (though I don't think it's my favorite). I always had a soft spot for Empiricism, but I have really been loving the last few Borknagar albums (particularly Winter Thrice). It's kind of a fanboy dream from 15+ years ago come true to have Vintersorg and Vortex singing on the same album.

Vintersorg's best vocal performance is Cosmic Genesis. It's fuller and manlier than the whine he adopted later, but not as over the top as the first two records.

I am revisiting The Archaic Course today and he sounds fine on there. Maybe I just hate it when he's mixed all the way up front?

Either way:

first Borknagar album >>>>>> the rest (yes even The Olden Domain)

I love Quintessence! And the first two. I'm indifferent to Archaic Course. Post Empiricism with Vintersorg does little for me. Those albums Urd, Universal and Epic are forgettable. They finally got interesting again with Winter Thrice. Vintersorg left, and they hit a home run with True North.

Ive actually never investigated any Vintersorg all the way through except the EP and Cosmic Genesis, both which are very good. But I can only take so much vocal drama

Moving beyond my irrational distaste for Vortex, y'all are right. This here Borknagar album is pretty fookin' solid. I swear there is a tinge of country/western in it as well, do they wear cowboy hats like Sólstafir for this one?