Nominate Albums for forthcoming Best of 2010-2020 Tourney

Inquisition-Obscure Verses for the Multiverse vs MGLA- With Hearts Towards None

I'm partial to Mgła at their best but imo the middle part of their discography (Groza/WHTN) contains by far the least interesting material, which, combined with its already gimmicky nature, makes for a not too pretty picture, a 5/10 album at best.

On the other hand, Inquisition never did anything for me and boy, upon being chastised full-length by this here album, it's not about to change... I won't even tone down the dislike with arguments like "at least it's well-written" because it's not. It's disjointed, very very bland "esoteric" BM with only a few catchy moments all lodged in the parts that most resemble Jean-Pascal Fournier era Immortal.

It's not even a close call in mediocrity I'm afraid.

Verdict: Mgła 90% - Inquisition 10%

Inquisition-Obscure Verses for the Multiverse vs MGLA- With Hearts Towards None

I'm partial to Mgła at their best but imo the middle part of their discography (Groza/WHTN) contains by far the least interesting material, which, combined with its already gimmicky nature, makes for a not too pretty picture, a 5/10 album at best.

On the other hand, Inquisition never did anything for me and boy, upon being chastised full-length by this here album, it's not about to change... I won't even tone down the dislike with arguments like "at least it's well-written" because it's not. It's disjointed, very very bland "esoteric" BM with only a few catchy moments all lodged in the parts that most resemble Jean-Pascal Fournier era Immortal.

It's not even a close call in mediocrity I'm afraid.

Verdict: Mgła 90% - Inquisition 10%
damn

you're not holding back

i like it

Serious question: did Inquisition forget to tune for this album?

EDIT: I am enjoying the album, just trying to figure out if this is "microtonal aesthetic" or "drunk during a show" because I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

Last edited:
I love that Inquisition album up for vote. I have always known the name but never checked 'em out as I haven't necessarily gravitated toward that stuff for a while now but now that I have, I dig it muchly.

I love all the little flairs he throws in with his playing. It's riff after riff that I wouldn't call "disjointed." Some of you fuckers are too used to being hit over the head with the same unimaginative bullshit for 5 minutes straight.

0965fadd1e3ffb20638b278656c3c744.jpg

Mgła didn't really grab me until the last song but dang, that's some neato shit deserving of immediate repeat.

I'm just going to Dorian Review my way through this entire process apparently.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Ildra-Edelland vs Dordeduh-Dar de Duh

Ildra is my first genuine discovery of the tournament so I was curious and whoever recommended it deserves a brotherly pat on the back. The album has an excellent grasp of the type of pagan/Arthurian epicness it aims for. Forays into trad heavy doom are cool and don't overstay their welcome. Pity it had to go up against (and logically bow to) Dordeduh. I would have had a tough time deciding between Ildra and Havukruunu for instance.

Vredict: Ildra 30% - Dordeduh 70%

I still fucking hate ICS Vortex's'x vocals. Every time he joins a band I stop buying their albums.

Ildra-Edelland vs Dordeduh-Dar de Duh

Ildra is my first genuine discovery of the tournament so I was curious and whoever recommended it deserves a brotherly pat on the back. The album has an excellent grasp of the type of pagan/Arthurian epicness it aims for. Forays into trad heavy doom are cool and don't overstay their welcome. Pity it had to go up against (and logically bow to) Dordeduh. I would have had a tough time deciding between Ildra and Havukruunu for instance.

Vredict: Ildra 30% - Dordeduh 70%

Cheers. Ildra just feels so damn authentic and organic.

Edit: I would prefer a hard slap on the butt

Last edited:
I still fucking hate ICS Vortex's'x vocals. Every time he joins a band I stop buying their albums.

Im the complete opposite. Love his solo work and he's infinitely better than Garm in Arcturus. Him replacing Vintersorg (who I never cared for) in Borknagar was an improvement.

FWIW, he shares vocal duties in Borknagar with the Solefald dude.

I'm iffy on that Lamented Souls album, though.

I don't even know why I can't stand his voice, the sound just grates on my very being. Always has, no matter the context.

But! I really want to like new era Borknagar, so I'm going to use this as an exercise. The proverbial college try, as it were.

Once they announced Vintersorg had left the band, I got excited for a Bork album for the 1st time since Quintessence. And they didnt disappoint.

Not that I really go by internets reviews, but apparently Im not alone.

btw, I dont hate Vintersorg at all. In fact, he killed it on Empiricism

DSO and Blut Aus Nord, both overhyped bands that are all flash and no substance imo.

Ive owned albums by both, and they never clicked. bunch of try-hards