Nominate Albums for forthcoming Best of 2010-2020 Tourney

Dordeduh - Dar de duh (easy pick since it isn't on there yet, and it needs to be)
i wanna second this btw

it was a tough call between it and vemod but i ended up going with vemod but if i get 6 picks then this is it

Might be a bit late to the party, but here's my 5 albums:

1. VOLA - Applause of a Distant Crowd (2018)
This one caught me by surprise, big time. Fantastic album from start to finish, not to mention the fact that nestling into my top ever albums when I'm getting old and jaded is a pretty big feat as well. Think Porcupine Tree with a modern twist.

2. Immolation - Majesty and Decay (2010)
This is just death metal done right. Fantastic riffs, actual well written lyrics and a band that somehow just continues to churn out quality albums after over 30 years. Top 3 in their discography for me!

3. Anathema - Weather Systems (2012)
If this isn't my most played album in 2012, I do not know what is. Great songwriting, emotional and tunes that get stuck in your head for days.

4. Alcest - Écailles de Lune (2010)
I remember hearing Alcest for the first time and not getting it at all. Then one day something just clicked, and it was this album that did it for me. Incredible atmosphere and melodies on this one!

5. Nile - Vile Nilotic Rites (2019)
Being a huge Nile fan, but simultaneously disappointed in their previous two releases, VNR feels like a rejuvenated band (probably in part due to lineup changes). While it's not their best release (pretty difficult considering I'd rate most of their other albums very high), it's definitely a strong album, and a return to form.

If only Katatonia and Amorphis didn't release some of their best material to date in 2009!

I gave up on Anathema after Eternity I think. I'll be glad to listen to this album with open ears if it makes the competition. Also that Nile album seems pretty solid upon a quick inspection!

I gave up on Anathema after Eternity I think. I'll be glad to listen to this album with open ears if it makes the competition. Also that Nile album seems pretty solid upon a quick inspection!

I think everything up to Judgment is at least listenable, with Eternity being the weakest.

To me, they didnt get interesting again until We're Here Because We're Here and Weather Systems.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
i really cannot deal with new anathema (for me that means post-"judgement")

just a lil too high on the cheez scale and not enough bite. but i am willing to try again. weather systems seems to be one that people generally like.

also: välkommen hit, fler svenskjävlar är alltid bra att ha

I think everything up to Judgment is at least listenable, with Eternity being the weakest.

To me, they didnt get interesting again until We're Here Because We're Here and Weather Systems.

Fuck NO, Eternity is a gdlk album bruh. shit's brought me to tears in a drunken stupor. I lack a lot of emotion for things that would make others crumble, then theres certain things that inexplicably just tug at my soul. I balled my eyes out last time I viewed Its A Wonderful Life for ex. Anathema has the same power of me. Maaaaaaary.

Updated List. We're at 50 (55 when Henrikmain Chimes in)

Murkrat-Drudging the Mire
Minenwerfer-Alpenpasse
Black Magick SS -Spectral Ecstacy
Macabre Omen -Gods of War - At War
Ares Kingdom -By the Light of their Destruction
Ihsahn - Arktis.
Acid Witch - Evil Sound Screamers
Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere
Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry
Blood Incantation - Starspawn
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane
Spectral Lore - III
Obsequiae - Aria of Vernal Tombs
Mystras - Castles Conquered and Reclaimed
Ildra - Edelland
Borknagar - True North
Hällas - excerpts from a future past
Summoning- Old Mornings Dawn
Tribulation- The Children of the Night
Burzum-Belus
Kayo Dot - Hubardo
Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer I
Gris - À l'âme enflammée, l'âme constellée
Vaura - Selenelion
Between The Buried & Me - Parallax II: Future Sequence
Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
Leprous - Bilateral
Zebulon Pike - Nostalgia For The Unreal
Vemod-Venter på stormene
Ultra Silvam - the spearwoundsalvation
Inquisition-Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
MGLA-With Hearts Towards None
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - Mardom
Funeral Mist - Hekatomb
Ash Borer - The Irrepassable Gate
Hesychast - Ageless
Panegyrist - Hierurgy
Slechtvalk - A Forlorn Throne
Skald in Veum - Stridslysten
Hortor - Dharma Esencia de Impureza
Lake of Blood - Omnipotens Tyrannus
VOLA - Applause of aDistant Crowd
Immolation - Majesty and Decay
Anathema - WeatherSystems
Alcest - Écailles de Lune
Nile - Vile NiloticRites
Ludicra - TheTenant
Dordeduh - Dar de duh
Vektor-Outer Isolation
Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
Cultes des Ghoules - Coven, or Evil Ways Instead of Love
Wytch Hazel - II
StarGazer - A Merging tothe Boundless
Sabbat - Sabbatrinity
Ruins of beverast - Exuvia
Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
Archgoat - The ApocalypticTriumphator
Taake - Noregs Vaapen
Pathology - The Time of GreatPurification
Defeated Sanity - Passages Into Deformity
Ofermod -Thaumiel

Going to try and create a bracket where no user's nominees square off first two rds, and where no user squares off against another user's pick more than once to start. Seems like the fairest route. No fiddling of the books. Just 1st pick vs 1st pick yadda. We'll see how it plays...

Last edited:
Murkrat-Drudging the Mire
Macabre Omen -Gods of War - At War
Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere
Summoning- Old Mornings Dawn
Hesychast - Ageless
Panegyrist - Hierurgy
Lake of Blood - Omnipotens Tyrannus
Vaura - Selenelion

Ive already given these a serious listen. Some I knew already. My opinions are all over the place.

If you stopped listening after Eternity, you've missed the majority of their best stuff imo, like Alternative 4 and Judgement which are in my opinion Anathema at their peak! For sure check out the Nile album if you're into them, "The Imperishable Stars Are Sickened" is crazy good for example.

WHBWH is almost equally good to WS I'd say. They're both similar, yet quite different at the same time! I'd say the former has more of a "metal mentality" to it still, without it being metal at all, while the latter took a step further away from the metal aspects, while still being great.

Now, their latest albums are a bit bland to me though. Still some good stuff on there too!

i really cannot deal with new anathema (for me that means post-"judgement")

just a lil too high on the cheez scale and not enough bite. but i am willing to try again. weather systems seems to be one that people generally like.

also: välkommen hit, fler svenskjävlar är alltid bra att ha

Haha, I like cheese! I agree that some of the newer Anathema stuff is bordering on too cheesy at times, but it's still a very good mix of pop and more progressive music.

Tack! :kickass:

Gillar du bröst?

Rumpa > bröst, men jag spottar inte i glaset.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
Vektor - Outer Isolation/Terminal Redux (pick one)

One of these can replace my 5th option. Pick any one of them. I'd pick something else but these are probably the most accessible and the ones that others on the forum would generally dig. My tastes have changed over the past decade, heavily veering off from other's on RC.

Edit: Also, shouldn't this be 2010-2019?

Cultes des Ghoules - Coven, or Evil Ways Instead of Love
Wytch Hazel - II
StarGazer - A Merging to the Boundless
Sabbat - Sabbatrinity
Ruins of beverast - Exuvia

I spent so much of this decade not listening to much music that I don't really feel that strong about a lot of metal albums except these.