Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

But you need a vinyl player, it's a hassle to store them, they are fragile, and I assume they deteroirate as you use them.

Going back to spotify a bit, I checked out the Discovery section, and it suggested Tool's newest release based on my liking of NIN. Now, I have never listened to Tool before, so I have to ask: what the fuck is this? A 10 minutes long track, that builds up to... nothing, really. Is this supposed to be good? Cuz if we are in 10 minutes long tracks territory, then you have to compare it to Stairway to Heaven, which is actually a great song, and even if you don't like it, you have to admit that it tried, it had a purpose, and it built up to something.

Sure, my hipster side is itching to talk mad shit about Tool based on this new song alone, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

I find Tool incredibly boring to be honest. I tried to like them but nope, just not my thing. There was only one track of theirs I liked, because it was fairly short for them and kind of catchy:

But yeah, that's it, the only Tool song I like.

But you need a vinyl player, it's a hassle to store them, they are fragile, and I assume they deteroirate as you use them.

Going back to spotify a bit, I checked out the Discovery section, and it suggested Tool's newest release based on my liking of NIN. Now, I have never listened to Tool before, so I have to ask: what the fuck is this? A 10 minutes long track, that builds up to... nothing, really. Is this supposed to be good? Cuz if we are in 10 minutes long tracks territory, then you have to compare it to Stairway to Heaven, which is actually a great song, and even if you don't like it, you have to admit that it tried, it had a purpose, and it built up to something.

Sure, my hipster side is itching to talk mad shit about Tool based on this new song alone, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise.
No. They're not. They're far better than they used to be and now you can plug them to any computer.

Happy Freedom Call new album release day to everyone :cool: the world's most flower-power metal band have released another album, which is of course a great event for all of us. I don't need to explain to the likes of @eochaid and @A88 as they already know and love these lads, but for all you lurkers out there who are asking yourselves 'who are Freedom Call and why should I care about them?' - here are a selection of my favourite tracks. And if you don't like any of these I'm sorry to report that you suck.

The title says non gay stuff...

Anyway, here's new Insomnium.

Yeah, well it's Insomnium. What's not to like?

Decent video (a bit of Sentenced here and there), solid if somewhat unspectacular song.

Not really a big fan of clean singing and their pronunciation of English language.

I think the director was the sentence guy, cannot remember the nsme now. The onw that's directing videoclips.

Oh yeah, that would make sense.

Not really sure about the new guitar player. He is good and can write nice songs, but his style is too happy for Insomnium.

The title says non gay stuff...

Anyway, here's new Insomnium.

Ehhh, this is one of the blandest songs they have ever written, up there with Ephemeral and Unsung.
Entire song sounds like an Omnium Gatherum b-side reject track, to the point that there is very little Insomnium sound to it.
Clean verses sound too happy and almost cringe-inducing, like if you took one of the recent Amorphis verses and pitch-shifted it up for two octaves. In which case I would like it, here it's just very ill-fitting. In general I really don't understand their increasing fascination with clean vocals - melodies aren't strong enough, they drench everything with 10 different harmonies just to make it sound pleasing, and live it sounds like a wet fart when you only have a single singing line without the backups, and they can't even deliver that one voice without going out of key.
Then there is the breakdown/second half of the song top string Aeolian wankery with pull offs which they have done so many times already.

The band needs to broaden their vocabulary, they used to be so diverse in terms of different parts they used in songs, now it's super streamlined to 3 or 4 different templates that they just readjust around as needed. Also, really not a fan of the production they've had for two or three albums now, guitars sound drenched in too much reverb, it sounds forced and doesn't have any oomph or balls to it.

Oh yeah, that would make sense.

Not really sure about the new guitar player. He is good and can write nice songs, but his style is too happy for Insomnium.
They decided to add him because he's the offical replacement during tours. And he can sing live. I don't know how much influence he'll have in the songwritting though.

Ehhh, this is one of the blandest songs they have ever written, up there with Ephemeral and Unsung.
Entire song sounds like an Omnium Gatherum b-side reject track, to the point that there is very little Insomnium sound to it.
Clean verses sound too happy and almost cringe-inducing, like if you took one of the recent Amorphis verses and pitch-shifted it up for two octaves. In which case I would like it, here it's just very ill-fitting. In general I really don't understand their increasing fascination with clean vocals - melodies aren't strong enough, they drench everything with 10 different harmonies just to make it sound pleasing, and live it sounds like a wet fart when you only have a single singing line without the backups, and they can't even deliver that one voice without going out of key.
Then there is the breakdown/second half of the song top string Aeolian wankery with pull offs which they have done so many times already.

The band needs to broaden their vocabulary, they used to be so diverse in terms of different parts they used in songs, now it's super streamlined to 3 or 4 different templates that they just readjust around as needed. Also, really not a fan of the production they've had for two or three albums now, guitars sound drenched in too much reverb, it sounds forced and doesn't have any oomph or balls to it.
I don't see much a difference between this song and while we sleep. Unsung is a great song.

Like I said, they keep ripping themselves off and writing the same songs over and over. This time it's literally a copy of Weighed Down With Sorrow, with some extra bells and whistles. Disappointing but you might differ in opinion.

It's a better song than Valediction, but I agree it's pretty much a WDWS ripoff. That melodic part before the final solo sounds like something from last few Amorphis albums. Decent solo, decent acoustics, no riffs worth mentioning, decent growls, weak cleans, decent production... So far, quite mediocre sounding album.

I am very annoyed by the fact they now have 3 guitar players involved, but always choose the most obvious melodic solutions and there are no riff driven songs. I've liked Winter Gate as a concept and a brave decision after popular Shadows of... but the only area the band progressed in the last few years is soloing. New songs from Alcest and Borknagar are much more exciting/enjoyable/convincing than this.

Winters gate was a great album. This, so far, sounds like a lesser version of shadows of the dying sun. And still people loves these songs. And I mean it. Look at all the positive comments. I think that people likes bands playing on safe ground these days.

Didn’t realize new Borknagar is coming out soon.

Just listened to Up North and it sounds great. The clean singing caught me off guard in a good way. I love Vintersorg (too bad about his health issues due to the fall) but ICS Vortex is probably the best Borknagar vocalist overall. Can’t wait for the full album to drop.

Mixed feelings about the 4:55 part. It sounds epic as hell. But that was totally written for Mr. V. It’s like a call back to Till Fjalls.