Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

How about some Scooby Doo music?

The guy from Ghost is a genius in so many ways. Nice catchy music + good marketing.

Anyway new (and old) Borknagar rocks. And also, pretty much everything with Vortex involved, rocks too.

Ran into this guy’s YouTube channel last night. Simon Smith. Does black/death guitar tutorials and... acoustic black metal covers. He’s really good.

Reactions: A88
The guy from Ghost is a genius in so many ways. Nice catchy music + good marketing.
Is there “the guy from ghost”? I thought they all wore masks and rotated in and out. Just like what my mom used to say about Blue Man Group.

Wow... that's one hell of a journey.

Valediction was meh. Generic track from One For Sorrow. I really liked Heart Like a Grave, it has this Autumn vibe, starting with beautiful acoustic intro. It unfolds into really nice track with typical Insomnium clean vocal/growl chorus, but what I really like about it is the temp shift near 2/3 of the song. Kind of reminds me Gojira's Explosia - pretty much basic stuff, which later on reveals to be a gem. Never really thought of it as a "safe song" as you guys did, but I think I understand the criticism. Also, I'm a big fan of brutal growls from Niilo, so perhaps that's what bought me in the end. Anyway, that one hit me hard.

And now they release this masterpiece with visually astonishing music video, leaving me speechless. I can't even make heads or tails of it, I only know it hits all the right spots for me. Sensational work, tops everything I've heard this year.

Reactions: A88 and eochaid
...and it's great.

@Insomnium

Much better. Valediction was too simple and forced as a single (inferior version of already mediocre Ephemeral). Heart Like a Grave was OK, except that middle section ripping of songs from the previous albums. Pale Morning Star is a full blown melodeath song. The only slightly annoying thing are those OG melodies. Not a big fan of Insomnium emulating a lesser band.

So how's your season goes so far @DE4life ? Are you guys gonna make it to Premier League or what? :D

Better than expected so far to be honest. The summer transfer window seemed like a disaster and we lost our first two games. The on the last day of the window we shipped out one of our poorer players and brought in a top quality left back. Since then we've been doing a lot better. I don't think we'll get promoted but I don't think we have to worry about relegation this season either. I'm more amused seeing Stoke and Huddersfield struggling at the bottom of the table. Huddersfield only just got relegated from the Premier League and are bottom of the table with only 1 point. Stoke were relegated two seasons ago but have a lot of money and a high paid squad, so they shouldn't be struggling, but they only have 2 points and just keep losing.

What's the news from Turkey? Anything interesting happening?

Better than expected so far to be honest. The summer transfer window seemed like a disaster and we lost our first two games. The on the last day of the window we shipped out one of our poorer players and brought in a top quality left back. Since then we've been doing a lot better. I don't think we'll get promoted but I don't think we have to worry about relegation this season either. I'm more amused seeing Stoke and Huddersfield struggling at the bottom of the table. Huddersfield only just got relegated from the Premier League and are bottom of the table with only 1 point. Stoke were relegated two seasons ago but have a lot of money and a high paid squad, so they shouldn't be struggling, but they only have 2 points and just keep losing.

What's the news from Turkey? Anything interesting happening?

Transfer season was good for us, we even got Luiz Gustavo from Marseille which I think was a good transfer cause we're not even on Europa League. :D It's been 5 weeks into the league and we're on the second place right now. And today we have a derby match with Galatasaray. It will be good one, you might wanna check it. :D

And also we're dealing with a lot of earthquakes lately in Istanbul which is kinda frightening. I hope we return to normal soon :D

...and it's great.

@Insomnium

Much better. Valediction was too simple and forced as a single (inferior version of already mediocre Ephemeral). Heart Like a Grave was OK, except that middle section ripping of songs from the previous albums. Pale Morning Star is a full blown melodeath song. The only slightly annoying thing are those OG melodies. Not a big fan of Insomnium emulating a lesser band.

Yep, definitely the best one out of the three singles. VIdeo was kinda cheesy and when the slide with the girl came on I kinda cringed a bit but these lyrics videos are always shit anyway. Song is pretty good, it's quite long and I need to listen to it a bunch of times in order to dissect and analyze it but that can wait. The black metal vibe in the intro with the staccato picking was kind of fresh for them. Melodies are better than usual on their new stuff but I agree, OG melodies are a step down no matter how you spin it. I also like how vocals are a bit higher in the mix, they are usually buried too low.
Saw band's social media post today where Niilo said that basically all the people who interviewed him agreed that this new song is the best one on the album, which kind of worries me a bit.

New In Mourning also drops on October 4th, same day as Insomnium's album.

Wish I could comment on the EPL but I only follow Italian football closely.

The black metal vibe in the intro with the staccato picking was kind of fresh for them.
What really caught my attention in this song was the black metal vibe in the beginning but then also the trve black metal part at 2:25.

When the second (or third?) guitar channel kicks in at 2:33, the song is just so powerful!! Invokes strong Emperor vibes for sure.

I still have trouble getting into Insomnium but this song would possibly be my gateway.

In Mourning just never took off after thefirst two (good) albums. I can tolerate them, but their music never excites me.

As for Insomnium... I've read a few reviews and it's all fanboy-ism or more realistic: playing it safe with 2-3 standout song.

So... The album will probably be decent, but nothing special.

From the new song, my highlight is the female chorus (or something similar) in the bridge that joins the intro with the first verses. Though I like it all.

Yeah, Monolith is peak In Mourning for me. Last album was pretty kickass, except the fact that Dan Swano somehow completely fucked up the production, it doesn't fit the music at all, nor does it objectively sound good as a mix.

Did anyone check out the latest October Tide?

Probably better off in the Cyhra thread bro :D but I am a bit surprised/concerned by Jake being primary songwriter.