Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

I originally started listening to hip hop ironically, but then it turned out I genuinely did like some of it.

As for music tastes being critiqued, I certainly know where you're coming from bro, as mine has been regularly bashed on here over the years :D music elitism in any format is bullshit it all depends on perception. To me Cannibal Corpse sounds like a toilet being flushed at high speed. To many metalheads it's the peak of music. I don't get it but whatever, these guys also can't understand why I like Amaranthe or NWA so it's not something I'm going to spend time worrying about.

I get why you and some others like Amaranthe. It's still trash. Nothing wrong with enjoying trash however. I like a lot of shitty music too, it's not the end of the world.

Siren Charms & Battles are significantly worse than anything Amaranthe has put out tbh. As are the Clayman rerecordings.

Reactions: The Grayfox
Without Jake, Amaranthe is dead... to me.

Just kidding, I don’t follow them nor do I care for Jake.

Amaranthe. They are also better than Insomnium, Kalmah, Amon Amarth and pre-1990s Metallica.

I see you very specifically did not list Coal Chamber, Mudvayne, or Otep. So I’m not triggered at all.

I would never disrespect the holy American metal trinity. Speaking of which.

If you aren't jumping around and dancing to this metal classic then there is no hope for you.

I would never disrespect the holy American metal trinity. Speaking of which.

If you aren't jumping around and dancing to this metal classic then there is no hope for you.

Hard truth. If you don’t start twerking at 1:37 you probably have a mental illness.

Hard truth. If you don’t start twerking at 1:37 you probably have a mental illness.

@eochaid has already confirmed to me privately he has thrown his back out dancing to this masterpiece. Fortunately he didn't require any painkillers, just more Amaranthe to heal his darkened soul.

TIL my all time favourite Finnish band Altaria have gotten their golden era lineup back together to record an album which should be coming out at some point this year :cool: and they've also rereleased a remastered version of Divinity, my favourite album of theirs. I literally love every single song on that record, it's perfect. There are very few albums where I can say I love every song from start to finish, but this is one of them.

It may be ultra gay, but sometimes that's just how I like it. Also Taage Laiho is legit one of my favourite singers in any genre.

Their original line-up included Emppu Vuorinen from Nightwish and Jani Liimatainen who founded Sonata Arctica and now plays in Insomnium. Different vocalist as well. That line up only lasted for one album though, Invitation, which is actually really good and doesn't sound like Nightwish or Sonata Arctica.

These bros are a hidden gem of melodic metal, for sure. Can't wait for their new album. Altaria revival is a rare win for 2020.

Last edited:
TIL my all time favourite Finnish band Altaria have gotten their golden era lineup back together to record an album which should be coming out at some point this year :cool: and they've also rereleased a remastered version of Divinity, my favourite album of theirs. I literally love every single song on that record, it's perfect. There are very few albums where I can say I love every song from start to finish, but this is one of them.

It may be ultra gay, but sometimes that's just how I like it. Also Taage Laiho is legit one of my favourite singers in any genre.

Their original line-up included Emppu Vuorinen from Nightwish and Jani Liimatainen who founded Sonata Arctica and now plays in Insomnium. Different vocalist as well. That line up only lasted for one album though, Invitation, which is actually really good and doesn't sound like Nightwish or Sonata Arctica.

These bros are a hidden gem of melodic metal, for sure. Can't wait for their new album. Altaria revival is a rare win for 2020.

Downloaded Divinity yesterday and listened about once through while working. I’ll listen again today.

I think maybe Divine is my favorite? Reminds me of the songs on the Dream Evil “Dragonslayer” album. Something about the vocals on that song are much more in that vein than the others.

Last edited:
Downloaded Revival yesterday and listened about once through while working. I’ll listen again today.

I think maybe Revive is my favorite? Reminds me of the songs on the Dream Evil “Dragonslayer” album. Something about the vocals on that song are much more in that vein than the others.

Sorry bro I am confused :D is Revival a band or an album? Is it linked to Altaria?

Dragonslayer was one of the first PM albums I bought (alongside Valley of the Damned by Dragonforce) and still one of my favourites. That and Evilized have a lot of great songs on them, PM with a distinct heavy metal edge.

Sorry bro I am confused :D is Revival a band or an album? Is it linked to Altaria?

Dragonslayer was one of the first PM albums I bought (alongside Valley of the Damned by Dragonforce) and still one of my favourites. That and Evilized have a lot of great songs on them, PM with a distinct heavy metal edge.
Lol, I totally switched Divinity/Revival and Divine/Revive. Hope I don’t have dementia.

Lol, I totally switched Divinity/Revival and Divine/Revive. Hope I don’t have dementia.

OK, now it makes sense :D I thought Altaria had released some other album I wasn't even aware of for a second.

It's really hard to even try to name my favourites off Divinity. Every song has something about it I love. I hadn't really considered any connection to Dream Evil but now that you mention it there is a simiarlity between Taage's vocals and how Niklas sounds. Dream Evil is generally more hard rock/heavy metal tinged than Altaria, though. Both great bands though who I've listened to for a long time.

This song blew my mind as a youngster, when I was first discovering metal. I still really like it. This one and Warriors/Land of Light by Freedom Call are basically what got me hooked on non-extreme metal.

Btw I would recommend downloading Invitation by Altaria as well - there's a bit more guitar, a little less keyboard and a different vocalist, but it's still a really good album.

Their other good album is Fallen Empire which came out after Divinity in 2006, but for me that doesn't have so many great songs on it. Jani Liimatainen had left the band by that point and it's clear that something special went with him. Even worse that he ditched Altaria to focus on Sonata Arctica, who were on the brink of a downward spiral as far as being a decent metal band was concerned.

They released Unholy in 2009 but Taage Laiho had left and they changed their sound to more of a hard rock style... I didn't like it and evidently not many other people did either, as the band died pretty soon after that.

Last edited: