Non-gay bro thread a.k.a. Random offtopic stuff.

Random note, 'Another Day' is apparently quite a popular metal song title :D in my collection alone I've got:

Dagoba - Another Day
Dream Theatre - Another Day
Freedom Call - Another Day
Godgory - Another Day
Hypocrisy - Another Day
Reviver - Another Day
Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Another Day
Winterstrain - Another Day

There were a few more that had 'Another Day' included also... clearly a phrase beloved by the metal community.

Going on an MDM binge targeting the following bands:

Aephanemer
Bloodred Hourglass
Callenish Circle
Divercia
Jotnar
Lunarsea
Parius
Silent Descent

Never heard of any of them, but have seen them recommended in various places.

Have you compared the lyrics from the songs to check if there are similarities?

Mors Principium Est posted a new single, they are basically putting out a re-recorded compilation of tracks from their demo and first 3 albums with the original lineup.

Now Iron Maiden are promoting bullfights as an "ancient but emotive profession". I'm done with those guys.

Never seen it tbh. I've been rewatching Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes recently, because I'm cool like that.

You should check out Red Letter Media's stuff on everything that's Star Trek. I don't care about Picard, but it's funny listening to them trashing it.

Lol yeah, I've listened to their stuff and it's pretty good. Fist season of Picard was so bad I gave up on the 5th episode. Second season is somewhat improved but still not what I'd consider ST. From what I've watched my order of decency goes:

Next Gen
DS9
TOS
Voyager
Enterprise
Discovery
Picard

The current writers just don't 'get' Star Trek. They just want to turn it into every other dark sci-fi series that's been done to death. Discovery and Picard both suffer from this issue. Even visually everything is dark, whereas in the old series everything is bright.

I was a lot into the original series and Next Generation. Picard... Aside from being too dark, it looks way too cheap for these days. Like artificially cheap.

Deep Space 9 is really good as well. Like TNG it takes a few seasons to really get into its groove, but when it does it's up there with the best ST series.

Picard |Season 1 - supporting characters suck, Picard as a character is terrible. Storylines not interesting. Season 2 supporting characters still suck, Picard himself slightly improved, Q being added in a definite plus, storyline somewhat better. We'll see if they can keep it going.

Reactions: eochaid
After a COVID-induced delay one of my favourite bands, Altaria, is releasing a new album on July 8th called 'Wisdom'. 13 years since they last released an album, and 16 years since they last had Taage Laiho, one of my favourite vocalists, as part of the band. Looking forward to it. Their 'Divinity' album from 2004 is one of those where I legitimately love every song.

Dat melodic guitar opening :cool: no wah pedal in sight. Awesome lyrics too.

Great rhythm throughout the entire song, top-tier chorus, sweet solo.

Probably their most famous song by far, Altaria's OFTW. 02:08 - 03:07 is just

carl-chef-kiss.gif

Perfection. The way the melodic guitar builds to a crescendo between 02:28 and 02:49 is just amazing.

According to the tracklist they're also rerecording 'History of Times to Come' from their first album, Invitation. They had a different vocalist back then and the album in general is more in the vein of traditional power metal than melodic metal, as their later albums were, so I'm very interested to hear the Taage's take on it. Am sure it'll be better than the fucking Clayman rerecordings.

02:48 - 03:08, more incredible guitar work :cool:

I actually really like Invitation as an album, although the vocals are probably an acquired taste. I much prefer Taage, but Johan Mattjus has a pretty unique voice as well. He came back 14 years later for Altaria's farewell (at the time) show, and sounded just as good live as he did on the album.

Probably not to anybody's taste here, but fuck it, I'm excited :D

And now their first new song is released.

Mmmm... I'm so-so on it. Taage still sounds great, as good as he did back in the 2000s. The song itself is good and I do like it, but it lacks oomph. There are parts where it should sound more epic, but the overall presentation is a little anaemic to my ears. It sounds very much like mid-2000s Altaria though, so they seem to be sticking to that sound which is nice. 7/10, hoping there will be some tracks that add a little more complexity and power.

Yeah, I agree... first time I heard the lyrics I was kind of surprised at how bland they were. Not that Altaria have ever been lyrical geniuses, but this is very basic. Still Shakespeare compared to the lyrics on Battles, though.