Non-metal folk recommendations

Fantastic swedish folk music, with the swedish bagpipe playing a prominent role http://www.myspace.com/draam -- "Fransosen" would be a good track to start with

It has a great melancholic touch which I really like, it feels like it captures the mood with must have been pretty widespread a few hundred years ago in the great silent forests here in the North; it's far to the next cottage, your only company are the cows that you are set out to watch for and the girl you love is far away...

Oh, and it seems they're coming to the States ;)

Oct 24-25 Dusty Strings Harp Symposium, Seattle, US
Nov 1 Concert, Sylvia Woods Harp Center, Glendale, US
Nov 8 Festival of Harps, Rohnert Park, US

Of The Wand & The Moon
Sol Invictus

These 2 are probably relatively obvious though. I don't listen to much folk out of whats made by metal bands myself (I should.). Going to check out the stuff in this thread!

Fantastic swedish folk music, with the swedish bagpipe playing a prominent role http://www.myspace.com/draam -- "Fransosen" would be a good track to start with

It has a great melancholic touch which I really like, it feels like it captures the mood with must have been pretty widespread a few hundred years ago in the great silent forests here in the North; it's far to the next cottage, your only company are the cows that you are set out to watch for and the girl you love is far away...

Oh, and it seems they're coming to the States ;)

Oct 24-25 Dusty Strings Harp Symposium, Seattle, US
Nov 1 Concert, Sylvia Woods Harp Center, Glendale, US
Nov 8 Festival of Harps, Rohnert Park, US

This stuff reminds me of the folk sections on the first three Vintersorg releases, especially "Fransosen". Enjoyable.

Yea the Dråm is good stuff spaffe. The rebec (violin like instrument) really shines in the first and forth tracks. "trilltrall" is probably my favorite track, as the melodies are wonderfully melancholic. Sucks they're only touring on the west coast :mad: