Nostalgia: second wave black metal (list-making included)

Jan 14, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I was reading a post on another forum about the first Graveland EP (The Celtic Winter), and it got me to reminiscing about the glory days of black metal and all of the amazing releases from the early and mid 90s that blew my mind when I was first discovering metal and continue to do so to this day, still having lost none of their initial impact. That was when black metal really meant something, and it meant something serious. That earnestness of intent and ideology really shined through in the compositions present on the landmark releases of the period.

It's refreshing to see that there are still people that seem to be interested in early-mid 90s BM. Most of the fucks I talk to these days are beginning to forget, or have already completely forgotten, the good ol' days. Granted, there are a lot of great newer bands that I go nuts for (Drudkh, Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord, Glorior Belli, Negura Bunget), but none of them, with the exception of Drudkh, hold a candle to the old classics.

The second-wave bands, and not only the Scandinavian ones but also Polish bands like Graveland, Veles, and a few of the ultra-hyped and oft-scalped French Black Legions releases, captured a feeling in their recordings that is becoming increasingly elusive, perhaps even never again attainable. The classic albums are other-worldly, as if they had been beamed in from another, older dimension. They were ancient-sounding. They were frightening in their austerity. They were genuinely atmospheric, and they were genuinely genuine. Nothing else can compare. As I said, Drudkh, sometimes Xasthur, are the only newer groups that have properly evoked the same emotions in me since the early-mid 90s bands, and I have an aching feeling in the pit of my stomach that they may be the last to do so.

I may be beating a long-dead horse here, but it's an elusive godhead that those bands touched. It bothers me a great deal when I see the memory, the understanding of these bands or, in the case of groups like Mayhem, these bands' older material, fading. Hopefully it's merely a case of wrong-place, wrong-time on my part. Somebody prove me wrong. Please.

While we're at it:

Not one of us can deny our love of making lists of our favorite albums. It's a shameful addiction that few of us can shake. So, let's. This list isn't necessarily meant to be a rundown of the best black metal albums, or the most "kvlt," but rather the records, preferably second-wave but potentially otherwise, that truly capture and are most representative of that elusive atmosphere of which I spoke, the ones that are the most capable of really transporting the listener. You know the one. I'm doing one album per band, except for Mayhem and Darkthrone because I can't make up my mind. There may be a lot of debuts in this one, which is understandable.

Mayhem - Live In Leipzig
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
Emperor/Enslaved - Emperor/Hordane's Land (!)
Burzum - Burzum
Borknagar - The Olden Domain
Immortal - Battles in the North
Vlad Tepes - War Funeral March
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Gehenna - Seen through the Veils of Darkness
Carpathian Forest - Through Chasm, Caves, and Titan Woods
Veles - Night on the Bare Mountain
Graveland - Carpathian Wolves
Beherit - The Oath of Black Blood
Moonblood - Blut und Krieg
Marduk - Those of the Unlight
Mutiilation - Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul
Belketre - their half of March to the Black Holocaust
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp
Ulver - Bergtatt
Morbid - December Moon
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
Gorgoroth - Pentagram
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Xasthur - Nocturnal Poisoning

So, lots of Scandinavian debuts. But honestly, can you blame me? I'm interested to see what the rest of you feel are theatmospheric albums.

The Olden Domain? Xasthur? Dissection? Marduk? Carpathian Forest? etc... Your list has some good stuff on it, but there are many releases that easily surpass those forgettables.

The Olden Domain? Xasthur? Dissection? Marduk? Carpathian Forest? etc... Your list has some good stuff on it, but there are many releases that easily surpass those forgettables.

And as kvlt as it may be to favour the demos and debuts, my preference from the second wave tends to be the subsequent albums where the energy and atmosphere were more developed. Bergtatt being an example.

Great post, and I wholeheartedly agree. A few years back I listened to a lot of - and unfortunately wasted a lot of money on - modern Black Metal releases. I then realised that although some of these releases were aesthetically pleasing, the vast majority utterly lacked the spirit and conviction of the early bands. Of course there are exceptions, but the late 80s to mid 90s will always be Black Metal's peak (same story with Death Metal).

Here's my contribution to the list (not repeating any the OP listed, and mostly consisting of lesser known groups who released material aeons better than the shit being passed off as Black Metal nowadays). Those in bold come with my highest of recommendations.

Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)
Absurd - Facta Loquntuur
Abysmal - The Pillorian Age
Arckanum - Fran Marder
Barathrum - Eerie
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Bethlehem - Dark Metal
Branikald - Stormheit
Countess - The Return of the Horned One
Falkenbach - En Their Medh Riki Fara
Forgotten Woods - As the Wolves Gather
Graveland - Thousand Swords
Hades - Dawn of the Dying Sun
Helheim - Jormundgand

Holy Death - Triumph of Evil
Ildjarn - Det Frysende Nordariket
Impaled Nazarene - Ugra Karma
Isvind - Dark Waters Stir
Kvist - For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike
Kyprian's Circle - Noitatulen Vartija

Legion of Doom - Kingdom of Endless Darkness
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane
Maniac Butcher - Barbarians
Martyrium - Lux Occulta
Master's Hammer - Ritual
Mock - Vinterlandet
Mortuary Drape - Secret Sudaria
Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood

Mysticum - In the Streams of Inferno
Nåstrond - Toteslaut & Age of Fire
Necromantia - Crossing the Fiery Path
Necromass - Mysteria Mystica Zothyriana
Nefandus - The Nightwinds Carried Our Names
Nifelheim - Nifelheim
Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft
Octinomos - On the Demiurge
Ragnarok - Nattferd
Root - Hell Symphony
Rotting Christ - Thy Mighty Contract
Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
Sacrilegium - Wicher
Sorhin - I Det Glimrande Mörkrets Djup
Suffering - Sowing the Seeds of Suffering
Thornium - Dominions of the Eclipse
Throne of Ahaz - Nifelheim
Tulus - Pure Black Energy
Ungod - Circle of the Seven Infernal Pacts
Vintersemestre - Jääverisaatana

Hail! :kickass:

Good post, haggardbastard. I share some of your sentiments and a lot of what you said are reasons why I don't have much interest in a lot of post-1996 black metal. I'll make an exception for the first Drudkh album and some other ones I can't recall at the moment. Black metal is, in my eyes, being largely co-opted by people with a hipster, scarf-wearing aesthete mentality. On the other hand there are the purists who attempt to recapture the old essence of black metal by copying a certain riffing style, employing certain production values, and using certain lyrical themes. But these people fail because they miss the fucking point too. And then we have these emofaggot suicidal black metal bands which are pretty annoying as well. Black metal is a fucking joke now as far as I'm concerned.

Countess - The Return of the Horned One
Ungod - Circle of the Seven Infernal Pacts

1) Countess has two rerecordings of Return... tracks on his newest album, namely Bloed In De Sneeuw and Aleidis. Both are very well done. It's interesting to hear these tracks with improved production, dynamics, and playing.

2) Have you heard the Ungod/Baxaxaxa demos split release? I think I prefer the Ungod demo to Circle...

1) Countess has two rerecordings of Return... tracks on his newest album, namely Bloed In De Sneeuw and Aleidis. Both are very well done. It's interesting to hear these tracks with improved production, dynamics, and playing.

2) Have you heard the Ungod/Baxaxaxa demos split release? I think I prefer the Ungod demo to Circle...

Cool, 'Bloed In De Sneew' was always one of my favourites by Countess. The live version on Heilig Vuur is fucking great. I'll check out the re-recordings. I also haven't heard the demo split with Baxaxaxa, I'll get onto that too.

MalignParadigm:
Now that is a fucking list! Thanks for (inadvertently?) providing me with recommendations!

Perdition's Light/Alter:
Yes, I supposed that "technically" and despite Dead's appearance on vox, Morbid were a death metal band. However, the were in possession of a sort of blackened aura that, still after all these years, I find reminiscent of the black metal groups proper. I would have included them, based on December Moon alone, even had Dead not been in the band.

Cythraul:
Well put! Though I do like Xasthur, I agree with you whole-heartedly and furthermore hate hipster scarf-wearers and emofaggots.

BurningWitch:
First and foremost, I love the name. Second and aftermost, I included the bands that I did not necessarily because the albums that I cited are the "best," but because they evoke most efficiently and most purely, moreso than any others that I could think of at the moment, the "true" (as much as I hate using the term) spirit of second wave black metal, the era which I furthermore consider to be the most representative and expressive of the genre. For example, I obsess over Marduk even though I know full well that there's a lot of better stuff out there. They, and some of the other groups like Dissection, evoke in me: 1.) memories of the period during my life when I was first discovering black and extreme metal; and, 2.) The Genuine, Bonafide Black Metal "Feeling." ThatFeeling. The You-Don't-Hear-This-Much-These-Days Feeling. For another example, I like Emperor's Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk better than 90% of the stuff on the list I made, but I didn't include it (although I certainly could have) because the mood, the aura that conjures when it spins just isn't the same. While I do like considerably the bands that you cited (Beherit and Carpathian Forest are some of my all-time favs), it wasn't a list of the best albums per se, but rather the most atmospheric (which is, granted, also an indicator of bestness). I'd also like to see your list, given your comments: what albums would you add/subtract that I didn't/did include, apart from the bands you already mentioned?

Necuratul:
Thank you. I plan to.

Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Enslaved - Hordanes Land
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

Ok, I wasn't going to make a list but I just can't help myself. Here are the albums that "transport my imagination to a land of spiritual refreshment."

Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger
Dawn - Nær Solen Gar Nider For Evogher
Dawn - Sorgh på Svarte Vingar Fløgh
Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
Enslaved - Frost
Forest - Like a Blaze Above the Ashes
Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Kvist - For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike
Lugubrum - Winterstones
Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun

Early to Mid '90's BM, oh so many classics...

Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symphonia
Behemoth - Sventevith (Storming Near the Baltic)
Borknagar - Borknagar
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Enslaved - Hordanes Land
Immortal - Diabolic Fullmoon Mysticism
Limbonic Art - Moon in the Scorpio
Mysticum - In the Streams of Inferno
Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry