Nu Metal Cliches

Here's what I got so far:

This is a song called CHANGES

My voice, it deepens / my horniness increases
I know I can't get away/ so I hide away the pain
The changes in my body / the changes in me

gotta come up with more lyrics, but i'm pretty pleased with the music part so far. might get a rap in the middle there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad start! The kick is too tight and subdued, though, and as stated above, you need more tritones and minor seconds. Maybe a clean-ish intro or bridge with some crazy flanger sounds, too.

Write as many lyrics about "Falling" as you can. The more lines about "falling" the more nu metal it is. its insane how many times ive that word it in a nu metal song. also you need some synthesizers/strings/samples. that will really help the nu metal vibe. and you have to have some whispering in there somewhere in a quiet part right before everything EXPLODES into a heavy part with screams.

to make a parody work, you have to do it convincingly.

this? eh........

the hardest thing to pull of with nu metal is some of the production is insane. check out the credits list of chocolate starfish, its like a who's who of the top engineers.

+1. Parody is not an easy art. It's a fun idea but the execution doesn't come across. And wtf is it with the ezdrummer hihat? Why do people still use it?

I'm happy to tell you I've got something your trying to achieve. Me on vocals for starters and rapping and screaming linkin park style etc: http://soundcloud.com/clark-kent-job/sets/friends-and-enemies/

But this kind of music is NOT EASY. Would be easier to make parody of bass drops, blast beats and screaming without understanding the lyrics. ;)

^the ez drummer hats/cymbals totally blow asshole. i suck at drums so i just threw this up. my pal and i are really having fun with this, got another tune put together today and my aim is to do like an album's worth of material and then get a real drummer to come in and track. then it's troll time.

+1. Parody is not an easy art. It's a fun idea but the execution doesn't come across. And wtf is it with the ezdrummer hihat? Why do people still use it?

I'm happy to tell you I've got something your trying to achieve. Me on vocals for starters and rapping and screaming linkin park style etc: http://soundcloud.com/clark-kent-job/sets/friends-and-enemies/

But this kind of music is NOT EASY. Would be easier to make parody of bass drops, blast beats and screaming without understanding the lyrics. ;)

it'd be pretty boring if sloan was trying to achieve what you suggest, it's just a normal ass song

now, this... is a parody:

ymmv of course

Last edited by a moderator:
Sign with a major, make some sick music and sell lots of albums.

I find that most people seem confused when it comes to this genre. They label a lot of bands and music Nu Metal just because it was from a certain time period, when really it is anything but Nu Metal. Now, to me bands like Deftones (first few albums, Adrenaline and Around The Fur), Factory 81, Primer 55, Korn, 40 Below Summer, Hed Pe, and of course Rage Against The Machine define the genre Nu Metal.

Anyways, carry on with the fun. :D