nyc 2/23 setlist

Hey, check it out! I have a small picture of the crowd while The Night and the Silent Water was being played:
:OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG:

Pretty cool, huh!

CladInDarkness said:
:erk:

Maybe I should sell my tickets. It is mediocre aside from The Night and the Silent Water. Still going with the new material, bleh. Oh well.

Did they cost you a lot of money? Why would you give up an experience to see Opeth?

Chasing Time said:
Just got back, absolutely outstanding show... Night and the Silent Water was a HUGE welcomed surprise. The Amen Corner and White Cluster were awesome too... but I have to admit overall I was kinda let down. The show was hyped as a Chronology 1994-2005 but it was really heavy on the last few albums. I was definitely expecting more classics. Nevertheless, the best Opeth show I've seen.

This is exactly how I feel, learning the setlist.

CladInDarkness said:
This is exactly how I feel, learning the setlist.

True, I was a little let down, but it's still Opeth in top form with a really strong setlist that just didn't happen to be what I was expecting. That's no reason whatsoever to not attend. Any Opeth show is an experience and I still had a GREAT time.

I've seen Opeth about 5 times, over the course of 7 years.So, I've seen them plenty of times. I'm quite diappointed, more than half of the material is from Deliverance up. 3 albums get 7 songs, when the rest of their back catalog gets less. I think they could have mixed it up a bit better. I mean this is suppose to be a special show, not just practically an average setlist.

deliverance said:
i think the show last night fucking ruled. it was my 6th opeth concert experience. i also got to meet a good online friend from da forum (a rofl nazi). i suppose my only qualms about the gig are what everyone else said..only 1 song (save DOTF) from the first 4 records. i was really hoping to see mist. with that said, i was very pleased with the show.

axe was excellent. i saw him with O in philly a few months back, and he's definetly improved over the last few months with the material. hats off to you martin!

the first 4 songs were fucking incredible. period. lol at people who think they got gyped of rare material because they played a couple of the songs over the last 2 months in other places...

Weeping Moon's middle section was great, nice buildup.

was pretty surprised to hear the TNATSW. thought they'd never perform that. lol mike said they never did it because he wasn't happy with the production of it (though they used to always play advent :scratches head: lol). but whatever, it was very very good. great song to keep in the set.

amen corner!?!? fuck. MAYH is my favorite album, so i was verrrrrry pleased to hear this or karma. i've been lucky to have seen AE/When at other gigs. brutallll.

highlight of the show --> white...fucking...cluster. WOW. such a powerful song. i was bashing my fist into the vacant seat in front of me, and headbanging (though i was doing this most of the gig anyhow). axe shined on this, and the guitar solos were nothing short of excellent. played flawlessly. it's a shame they're so low in the mix on the album.

leopard infinity. my favorite song from BWP..no complaints here. brutal song, fuckin love it. funny..as they moved on to each album, i for some reason decided to shout out requests lol. i shouted out LA and mike was like "..nope" then..they played it lol.

fair judgement is my fav song besides the title track from Deliv. incredible fingerpicking by mike, as well as some of the bands best guitar solos. the outro is fucking epic. love how they slow it down, sounds even more evil.

i've seen Deliv performed at every O show i've attended, and i'm still not sick of seeing it. definetly in my top3 favorite songs. absolutely PERFECT live song. should never leave their setlist. lol at the ballet dancing to the song before the show. bitches dancing is cool, but they should have been naked :erk:

windowpane/closure. not only my 2 fav songs from D1 were played, but my 2 fav from D2 as well! aweeeesome. seen both already, at the damnation gig, but the closure middle was even better here. they made it a lot more interesting. i like how they 'metal' it up a bit too, in the end. it's aight if there's a messup every now and then, it means they're human ('pane solo)

GoP was greattt, already seen Baying, and it was better this time around, kick ass song. TGC was probably the song i enjoyed least, seen it twice, and though i still love the song, and it is swell live. mike mentioned how there's a video for it and i shouted out that it blows :erk: ..cause it does lol.

props to whoever shouted "heavy metal machine" that was hilarious. lol that about 99% of the crowd was clueless at that. there was mad newbs there methinks.

i think that was my last O show for a while though (so i say...).

i'm glad i'm not the only leopard infiniti fan

I agree with deliverance. Last night's show was fantastic. I never thought I'd hear Night and Silent Water live, but there it was and it ruled, as did Under the Weeping Moon, which was also a first for me live. Looking forward to seeing them again early next week in London.

Kusanagi said:
They have... look here. It's the setlist for the Raleigh, NC show that was Feb. 15

And personally, I would have LOVED to see this show... and it saddens me a bit that we didn't actually get it at the Raleigh show (which in the end, I don't really care, that show was an excellent show regardless!). I hope they do this again in the future... but really I don't care in the end... Just as long as in the future I get to witness in the future the magic that is Opeth live.
You win again!

I'm kinda curious though....have Opeth ever performed Still Day Beneath the sun, or Patterns in the Ivy II live? i would love to hear still day live.

or into the frost of winter for the matter...because i would be interested in acually HEARING that song...not just a jumble of noise :p

atrocity said:
GoP, Amen Corner, TNATSW, Under the weeping moon (<- this was played in Europe tour only,right?)
There you go 4 songs they never played in US soil before.

The Chicago show will be my fifth time seeing them and hearing four songs never played to me live before is a treat in itself.

CladInDarkness said:
I've seen Opeth about 5 times, over the course of 7 years.So, I've seen them plenty of times. I'm quite diappointed, more than half of the material is from Deliverance up. 3 albums get 7 songs, when the rest of their back catalog gets less. I think they could have mixed it up a bit better. I mean this is suppose to be a special show, not just practically an average setlist.

Agreed with this 100%

First, before I say anything else, let me acknowledge that I did not, nor would I ever, expect a band to "read my mind" and cater directly to me. All I can do is express my own personal approval or disappointment, nothing more, nothing less. I have been a staunch Opeth supporter and fanboy since "Morningrise" and have very rarely expressed my displeasure with anything the band has ever done. Most were happy with the set, so obviously my opinion is in the minority and I freely acknowledge that. I do not, nor will I ever, complain for the sake of complaining or be negative just to be negative.

That said, the bottom line is that there were only 3 songs out of every other song chosen that were exclusive to the NYC show based on what Opeth has played on the current tour:

The Night and the Silent Water
A Fair Judgment
Windowpane

And those three songs are supposed to satisfy what the show was billed to be? I'm sorry, but this was the night where Opeth should've had the autonomy to pick any song they wanted without worrying about catering to Roadrunner or about playing "familiar" or "fan favorite" type songs. So what if they made mistakes, 3/4 of the fans wouldn't even notice, and I doubt the other 1/4 would've cared.

So, what could they directly have done to make this show meet my expectations? (again acknowledging that my personal expectations are of no importance whatsoever): Take out at least five or six of the songs they've been playing on the current tour (or ones they've played frequently, like Deliverance, Demon of the Fall, 1 Damnation track, The Baying of the Hounds and The Grand Conjuration) and replace them with any five or six of the following songs to give the "Special Chronology Show" a greater blance of older to newer songs, or at the very least, exclusivity to the Chronology show:

In Mist She Was Standing
Forest of October
The Twilight Is My Robe
The Apostle In Triumph
Nectar
Black Rose Immortal
Benighted
Moonlapse Vertigo
Dirge for November
The Funeral Portrait
Harvest
Wreath
By the Pain I See In Others
Beneath the Mire
Atonement
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
Hours of Weatlh
The Isolation Years

That's 20 songs right there that they could've chosen from to make make the show feel more exclusive, special or at the very least, more balanced between older and newer songs. I would've been satisfied with five or six.

Look, obviously many disagree and were completely satisfied and happy with what was presented - I think that's great and I have absolutely no problem with it. It worked for you and I'm not going to flame you in any way for having a positive opinion about it. Perhaps it was indeed overhyped, but it just wasn't what I personally had been hoping for. Once again, of course the band doesn't have to cater to me in any way shape or form. Let them do whatever they want and the fans will judge them individually. And again, it certainly seems like there are far more people happy than disappointed with the show so that's still a positive reflection on the band, which is certainly a good thing.

I'll say this as well, they did indeed play for 2 and 1/2 hours. That is a lot of effort and is indeed special. From that standpoint the band is to be commended and I certainly appreciate the work involved in putting a performance of that magnitude together.

Jason

Two days later, and the show is still ringing in my head. The performance of "Deliverance" was one of the most intense concert experiences of my life. And I've seen Zappa, ELP, Genesis, Yes, Mclaughlin, Gentle Giant, Kansas, Dream Theater, Spocks Beard, Santana, the Dead, Return to Forever. Thanks guys!!

^Probably the most well-thought out disappointment reply yet, Dark One

However, if the band chose BRI, how many of the other songs you'd have liked to see would get bumped off because of time limitations? Further, some of those songs just don't work so well live as others, not that they aren't great songs. I really don't think band played the set they did to appeal to their label. Granted, they're going to play at least 2 songs off the new album seeing how they as a band would want to promote it. They're going to play Deliverance & Demon because they just always do, it's tradition... So the rest of the set is up for grabs, and I think the choices they made were fitting. Certainly some songs could be switched with others to create an equally awesome set.

Mikael Akerfeldt said:
Cool, no I'm not upset at all. I think the setlist was a good one and there's no way to please everyone unless we play every fucking song we ever recorded I guess.
Indeed I fucked the 1st Windowpane solo up and I felt awful! Don't know what happened.

On the last US tour we played a very different setlist from this one, in fact there's only Deliverance + 2 new ones left as far as I remember. Demon we never expected to play last night so it was a heat of the moment desicion backstage.

Some are saying it was too short. 2 and a half hours of death metal is a world record for crying out loud! We we're fucking tired after it I can tell ya that!

Well, well, next time we'll come back doing silent pantomimes and shadow boxing maybe some will think it was "cool"!?

Cheers
Mike

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what happened to your prior-to-2005 join date and the O on top of the A in your last name... (I know nothing about Swedish)

:\

Kenneth R. said:
^Probably the most well-thought out disappointment reply yet, Dark One

Thanks. It's certainly easier once time passes to be a bit more constructive in the reflections, even though I never meant to be an attack-dog or troll-like in the first place. Apologies if it came across that way.

Kenneth R. said:
However, if the band chose BRI, how many of the other songs you'd have liked to see would get bumped off because of time limitations?

For BRI? Any.

Kenneth said:
Further, some of those songs just don't work so well live as others, not that they aren't great songs.

Perhaps, but if any night was the night to find out, this was it.

Kenneth R. said:
I really don't think band played the set they did to appeal to their label. Granted, they're going to play at least 2 songs off the new album seeing how they as a band would want to promote it.

I hear what you're saying, but I never meant that the whole set was aimed at appealing or catering to Roadrunner, just the songs off GR. And believe me, I do understand that both the band and the label want to promote the new album, that makes complete and perfect sense from a business standpoint. It's just that on THIS night, that shouldn't really be a concern. The regular tour shows? Absolutely. And I also don't mean they should ignore GR or anything, just perhaps attempt some different songs off it.

Kenneth R. said:
They're going to play Deliverance & Demon because they just always do, it's tradition...

Boom. That's precisely the reason I would've stayed as far away from those songs as possible. They're fantastic songs, no question, but ones you will practically always have a chance to hear live.

Kenneth R. said:
So the rest of the set is up for grabs, and I think the choices they made were fitting. Certainly some songs could be switched with others to create an equally awesome set.

Absolutely a fair enough assessment here. They are indeed playing songs on this tour that are not staples of their live set and that also sound great live. Again, I was just hoping (greedily perhaps) that many of the songs chosen for this particular set, would've been either exclusive to this set or at the very least more balanced between the older and newer albums.

Jason

How often do they play Deliverance AND Demon of The Fall on the same setlist? Cause looking at the internet posted setlists thus far, I havent seen it yet. I saw one setlist, but I think it was later rebuked.