nyc 2/23 setlist

did anyone notice that when mike was playing the solo riff in closure (the fast acoustic one) axe was rolling on the cymbals wayyy too fast...

No he didnt say that.

And I thought Axe was awesome during the intro to Closure so.... maybe thats just me though.

Also, found a shitty video from the NYC show if anyone was interested in getting an idea of what it was like.

EDIT: Myself, just realized that bootlegs arent allowed on the forum. My bad Moonlapse :D

Dark One said:
the bottom line is that there were only 3 songs out of every other song chosen that were exclusive to the NYC show based on what Opeth has played on the current tour:

The Night and the Silent Water
A Fair Judgment
Windowpane

And those three songs are supposed to satisfy what the show was billed to be?

I plan on this being the last time I post in this thread regarding this issue because it's tiring but....

1. Read Mikael's first post in this thread again. Actually, I'll quote him...

I hear complaints about the setlist, that we didn't own up to the 4 songs never played in US before...well: Ghost of perdition, Under the weeping moon, The night and the silent water, The amen corner are those songs, that's around 45-50 minutes of material NEVER played there before. And we hadn't played Windowpane, Fair judgement, White cluster, Leper affinity.

and, please pay close attention now....

2. Nowhere on the official site did it say that the songs that "never have been played on American soil" are to be "exclusive" to the NYC show or any of the other chronology shows for that matter. The shows were never "billed" (as you put it) to be that way in the first place. So basically, you are "making up" a discrepancy.

What it did state was that there will be four songs that were never played in the U.S. before and that statement is accurate!!!!

It seems like some people here are trying to falsify what has been advertised for the show but truth of the matter is..... what you wanted to hear vs. what was said to be heard are two different things.

Mirrored Ghost said:
What it did state was that there will be four songs that were never played in the U.S. before and that statement is accurate!!!!

NO IT'S NOT. Under the Weeping Moon and GoP WERE played in the US before this concert. It's as simple as that. It's fucking black and white.

TheApostle said:
No he didnt say that.

And I thought Axe was awesome during the intro to Closure so.... maybe thats just me though.

Also, found a shitty video from the NYC show if anyone was interested in getting an idea of what it was like.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=398611569348631&q=opeth
thanks for the vid...asfar as axe...i dunno during closure he didnt have much groove, he rolled on the cymbals like a robot, way too fast...i guess i might pick up on that quicker because im a drummer :erk:

chef0069 said:
...I've seen Zappa, ELP, Genesis, Yes, Mclaughlin, Gentle Giant, Kansas, Dream Theater, Spocks Beard, Santana, the Dead, Return to Forever.
You would compare OPETH to spock's beard?!
Whatever...;)
Now don't blow a gasket, it's just that spock's beard is not that great, IMO.

A Fair Judgment said:
With all of this bitching and moaning, I want to know something. If everyone who has posted on this thread that went to the show knew exactly what was going to be played beforehand, would you still have paid whatever price you paid for the ticket and would you still have gone or would you not have gone at all, knowing you would just leave the show disappointed and that it wouldn't be worth it? I'm completely serious! I want to know from all of you!
<<

I didn't go to this performance, but I was at Towson last week , and before that at Jaxx in November '05 and before that at the 9:30 Club in Jan. of 04.
My complaint isn't so much the setlist as it is no Martin Lopez. Axe is able, and certainly a good drummer, but he is no Lopez and IMO Lopez is an integral member of the band. So no, if I had known Lopez wasn't going to perform last week -- and that was a well kept secret as no one knew until their first show in the states -- I would not have purchased tickets, especially since there was only a slight variation of the songs that they played in November. AND Recher Theatre is the shittiest venue I've ever been to.
I thought it was completely beneath them, this setting. Unless you were with the first ten bodies deep, it wasn't loud at all, and I could hear people having conversations all around me. I don't like conversation with my Opeth. I don't understand why they didn't book 9:30 club again. <shrug>

Sanzen said:
NO IT'S NOT. Under the Weeping Moon and GoP WERE played in the US before this concert. It's as simple as that. It's fucking black and white.

You need to go back and read what I said in the beginning of my #2 point.

This is where I stop posting on the subject. No need for the cursing.

Mirrored Ghost said:
It's not black and white, which is why you need to go back and read what I said in the beginning of my #2 point.

This is where I stop posting on the subject. No need for the cursing.
No, i've read what you said on the matter, and I just don't agree with you. When you say you're going to perform songs that haven't been played in the US before....do it! Don't try to justify it with tricky wordplay. GoP and UTWM were played for the first time in the US on February 15th....NOT the 23rd.

Also, fuck. balls. shit.:headbang:

Sanzen said:
No, i've read what you said on the matter, and I just don't agree with you. When you say you're going to perform songs that haven't been played in the US before....do it! Don't try to justify it with tricky wordplay. GoP and UTWM were played for the first time in the US on February 15th....NOT the 23rd.

i didnt find it tricky wordplay...i found it quite obvious.

Sanzen said:

lol @ tricky wordplay. I was repeating someone else's words (Dark One) and saying "no, that's not what it reads" to him. Blame him for the tricky word play.

Jude said:
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what happened to your prior-to-2005 join date and the O on top of the A in your last name... (I know nothing about Swedish)
:\
When he's using an american computer, without the swedish characters (ÅÄÖ), it's easier for him to just use another account without the Å.

Stilgar said:
When he's using an american computer, without the swedish characters (&#197;&#196;&#214;), it's easier for him to just use another account without the &#197;.

There is an easier way...

Copy n paste from the member list then add password...

Logged in, hehe.