off-topic..... football....

sixxswine said:
It's in the blood...
My oldest son shares this love an passion for football, like me.
He has played the game for the first time this year, he has studied the game, he knows stats that I can't even recall or know...
He's well on his way to becoming a full blown football fanatic!
It's nothing that is forced on him, but am I glad he loves it?!
Hell yes! He came home this evening with the AFL kick off magazine, can't wait to read it! Maybe this heavy music thing will grow on him?!
Who knows....
That's a good thing bro!!! There's so many bad things for kids to be in to today (Drugs, gangs, etc...) that if he ends up a full blown football crazy you'll be better off!!! And liking heavy music will more than likely grow on him as well.

Anyone paying any attention to the hype (or lack of) for the Super Bowl???
It seems like even most of the experts deem this to be a one way Steeler beating of the Seahawks....Usually they try to at least make it sound even, but from what I've been seeing on ESPN, NFL Network and reading online most everyone is pretty sure the Steelers will win big....Which Is the right call (IMO)

sixxswine said:
There's hype where I'm watching and Listening, but ME personally?
I'm not amped about the game...
It's gonna be a one sided win I think....
I can go either way, with Defense....
USC is well represented!
They're talking about the game...But they're not really hyping it.

I guess what I mean is, If The Pats were in it it would be "Can The Patriots be the first team to ever win three in a row...And what can Seattle do to stop it??" Or if The Broncos made it it would be something like "Holmgren vs. Shanahan II!!! Can Holmgren avenge that loss??" I guess hype's not the word I'm looking for, but there just seems to be no story to this Super Bowl other than the road The Steelers took to get here, Bettis' last game, etc...
I mean I personally believe it's going to suck!!! I see a one way ass stomping
administered by The Steelers with little or no chance for Seattle.. And even though New England has been there a bunch of times recently at least all of their S.B.'s were exciting games.. I'll watch (I have no choice, if I try to resist my head will blow off my shoulders:D ) ButI'm already looking foward to next years AFC Championship Game because I know my team will be one of the two.

Dodens Grav said:
When one's team isn't in the "Big Game," things don't seem to be as hyped, I've noticed. I'm seeing plenty of coverage, namely with Jerome Bettis, which I think is a tremendous story; in fact, one of the best in Superbowl History.
Dude you're missing the point entirely....It has nothing to do with N.E. not being there and everything to do with Seattle being flat and boring!! There's no personality from them at all!! Everyone knows the Steeler story...And it's awesome, beating Cincy, Indy & Denver on the road deserves respect...But at least they have Bettis, Polamalu, & Porter...three characters who make for great interviews....The only Seahawk I've seen interviewed (minus Holmgren) is Alexander and he's a weak interview! As much as I'm hoping (expecting) a Steeler win I'm going to start hoping for at least a competitive game.

And just to make one thing clear....I'm not bitter or resentful about The Patriots not being in the Bowl....Denver was the better team that night and beat them fair..

Dodens Grav said:
When one's team isn't in the "Big Game," things don't seem to be as hyped, I've noticed. I'm seeing plenty of coverage, namely with Jerome Bettis, which I think is a tremendous story; in fact, one of the best in Superbowl History.
I disagree, games have been "hyped." The Falcons have only played in "one" so to say that when one;'s teams isn't playing there's no hype isn't accurate...
I'm sick of Bettis. I'm not a Hawks fan, but I'd really like him getting sent home packing without a ring! The guy gets the ball on 3rd and inches plays...
He's not all that! I mean, I could do what he's doing!!!! Give me the ball when it's 2nd, 3rd and and inch! I bet I could get the first down...
And how about the speech he gave his team mates?! About "getting him to Detroit?!" It's all about "him." What a self centered prick! I changed my mind! I'm amped, I want a Seahawks win, if nothing for getting Bettis a loss....

Dodens Grav said:
I think you're going to be surprised at how close the game will be. After all, they did beat the Panthers, regardless of injuries. Their offense played very well and they all but stifled Steve Smith. I believe you're criminally underrating the team. Yes, they had one of the easiest season schedules, but here they are in the Super Bowl. They certainly didn't prance into Detroit.
They came as close to prancing in as a team could!! Beating Carolina once Goings went down was a moot point...The Panthers weren't going to win with their 4th string RB...That's alot to ask of any team playing on the road in the conference championship game!! Shutting down Steve Smith the Panthers only option at that point was elementary...If it didn't happen the Seahawks Defensive Coodinator would be out of work....I want to see them stop the Steeler 3 headed monster at RB!!!! And if they focus all their attn on Hines Ward...Heath Miller & Randle El will torch them.....I'm honestly a little shocked and surprised to be saying this to a "Steelers Fan" I figured it's more or less obvious....I don't know maybe you're trying to build it up in your mind to make it a little more exciting...I don't know.....But when the Steeler "D" scores it's 2nd TD you'll be able to breath easy seeing it's gonna be a one sided blowout.

sixxswine said:
I'm sick of Bettis. I'm not a Hawks fan, but I'd really like him getting sent home packing without a ring! The guy gets the ball on 3rd and inches plays...
That's Jerome now....This guy has had a great career and been an incredible workhorse through his time in the NFL and he deserves this moment.
(I'm not a Steeler fan mind you..)

One more thing, I've never seen you in person and I don't know you from a hole in the wall....But I'm willing to bet that you can't do what Bettis does on 3rd and short

T_man357 said:
One more thing, I've never seen you in person and I don't know you from a hole in the wall....But I'm willing to bet that you can't do what Bettis does on 3rd and short
Wanna bet?! It's like having Mike Tyson softening a boxer for 11 rounds and having me step in for the last minute or two of the fight...
Bettis is "good" there have been more people that have done what he has, but haven't been on good teams. Remember Craig "Ironhead" Heyward?!
In fact he's a notch higher because he didn't let the understudy take all the hits then step in for the glory, he ran the whole game...:D

sixxswine said:
Wanna bet?! It's like having Mike Tyson softening a boxer for 11 rounds and having me step in for the last minute or two of the fight...
Are you out of your mind??? I've boxed over 7 years (It's what I do) And Tyson could get a one way beating for 11 rounds from Holyfield no less and you still wouldn't want to go out for the final round of that (And God rest your soul if you did) It's like all these clowns who tell me they'd get in the ring with Tyson take one and fall down to collect a million dollars...My advice is always the same Get in the ring with me...Let me lay a straight right hand to the dome...It'll hurt....Amplify that time 1000 and that's a Tyson right hand..That was kind of a stupid comment and yes...If there was a way to enforce and prove that I would bet in a second.
sixxswine said:
Bettis is "good" there have been more people that have done what he has, but haven't been on good teams. Remember Craig "Ironhead" Heyward?!
In fact he's a notch higher because he didn't let the understudy take all the hits then step in for the glory, he ran the whole game...:D
I have much love for Ironhead....But I don't agree...Bettis is better than he was....Like I said get your mind past these last few year and go back to the beginning (w/ The Rams) and work your way foward....I think you'll be surprised.

Dodens Grav said:
Only because you've been wrong about a lot of things from the Conference finals. I'm just suggesting that, regardless of all the statistics that you have as support, there is so much more to the game. The Seahawks are a damn good team, despite what you may think. I'm not "building up" the opposition in my mind to make the game seem arbitrarily more entertaining; it's just a simply fact. Shitty teams to not make it to the Super Bowl, despite what you may believe. The Seahawks won without their running back the week before in a very decisive and impressive victory. They all but completely shut down the Panthers both offensively and defensively. And yet you don't give them any credit. You don't give Mike Holmgren any credit. But we'll see who's right on Sunday. I'd prefer it if you were right. You can't predict how a team will play on any given day, however.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Right.....Dude,I could go off on this post ALL DAY!! But what's the point of you trying to read it with your eyes closed....Sunday will set the record straight and anwser all questions..

Dodens Grav said:
There is a reason, after all, that he is in the top ten all time for rushing yards and touchdowns scored. He's also one of the nicest and most respectable guys in the league.
Without a doubt!!! And that's why some of his mortal enemies (Patriots Fans)
want to see him get his ring.....He deserves it.

You guys are getting a visit from Terrell Owens today.....Should you hear anything on your local news about him possibly signing with Denver a post on the board....I'm curious as to what Shanahan thinks he can get out of such an obvious headcase..

sixxswine said:
He's not all that! I mean, I could do what he's doing!!!! Give me the ball when it's 2nd, 3rd and and inch! I bet I could get the first down...
And how about the speech he gave his team mates?! About "getting him to Detroit?!" It's all about "him." What a self centered prick! I changed my mind! I'm amped, I want a Seahawks win, if nothing for getting Bettis a loss....

You have lost your freaking marbles dude !! Jerome Bettis did not become the fifth leading rusher of all time by just getting the ball on third and inches. True, he is the Steelers short yardage back, but he is also the back-up running back. He spells Parker when he needs a breather and it is his job to be the number one guy if Parker goes down. Bettis was the starter for about half of the season last year due to Staley's inability to stay healthy and Bettis had 947 seven yards, just 53 shy of his ninth 1000 yard season last season in just six games or so as the starter. He didn't have 947 3rd and short last year either, I can tell you that. If you don't like the guy that is fine by me. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but don't get your facts wrong. Bettis is a future hall of famer and there is no other power back in the top-ten, much less the top-five in career rushing. Bettis has amassed 13,653 yards in his career and he carried that Steeler offense for years and even took pay cuts more than once to remain a Steeler so they could keep other players and stay under the cap and competitive. Sounds like a real self-centered prick to me !?!? Bettis has more rushing yards than all of these players: Erric Dickerson, Tony Dorsett, Jim Brown, Marcus Allen, Marshall Faulk, Franco Harris, Thurman Thomas, John Riggins, O.J. Simpson, Ricky Watters, Eddie George, Corey Dillon, Ottis Anderson, Earl Campbell, Edgerrin James........ and the list goes on and on.
Jerome Bettis is one of the most selfless players in the NFL. He was one play away all season from being the number one back for The Steelers and despite being a shoe in for the HoF, he makes less money than some kickers and has taken a pounding on his body for 13 years in the NFL running up the middle of defenses.
He took the long road to the SB and I for one am happy he is there. He got there the hard way and I can't think of ANY NFL current player more deserving than he to be in the SB. I don't understand your post at all, unless you are THAT ignorant about his career in the NFL.

Bryant

T_man357 said:
I want to see them stop the Steeler 3 headed monster at RB!!!! And if they focus all their attn on Hines Ward...Heath Miller & Randle El will torch them.....I'm honestly a little shocked and surprised to be saying this to a "Steelers Fan" I figured it's more or less obvious....I don't know maybe you're trying to build it up in your mind to make it a little more exciting...I don't know.....But when the Steeler "D" scores it's 2nd TD you'll be able to breath easy seeing it's gonna be a one sided blowout.

I don't know T-man I think if The Steelers go balls out like they did against Denver and pressure Seattle early in the game much like they did Denver, it could be a blow-out, but Seattle isn't bad if The Steelers don't make them one-dimensional early. They have no super star receivers, but they can throw the ball to six or seven different guys that can make plays. The Steelers will also have to commit a DB to stop S. Alexander. He may be too elusive for even The Steeler LBs. SA doesn't like contact though, so a faster guy can force him out of bounds or back inside for little gain. Seattle also has some of the most underrated LBs in the league. They lead the league in sacks and they are very active. I think the Steelers will dominate the LoS on offense and defense which is 95% of the time a win, but aside from the proven commodities, the receivers and LBs of Seattle are wildcards. Less Jax, I honestly think any of the AFC play-off teams would beat Seattle, but who knows.....

Bryant

Bryant said:
I don't know T-man I think if The Steelers go balls out like they did against Denver and pressure Seattle early in the game much like they did Denver, it could be a blow-out, but Seattle isn't bad if The Steelers don't make them one-dimensional early. They have no super star receivers, but they can throw the ball to six or seven different guys that can make plays. The Steelers will also have to commit a DB to stop S. Alexander. He may be too elusive for even The Steeler LBs. SA doesn't like contact though, so a faster guy can force him out of bounds or back inside for little gain. Seattle also has some of the most underrated LBs in the league. They lead the league in sacks and they are very active. I think the Steelers will dominate the LoS on offense and defense which is 95% of the time a win, but aside from the proven commodities, the receivers and LBs of Seattle are wildcards. Less Jax, I honestly think any of the AFC play-off teams would beat Seattle, but who knows.....

Bryant
Your post makes the most sense out of any pertaining to this topic. I like you believe that the win will be on the strength of the Steeler "D"...Seattle has proven that they can't compete with the teams that bring a strong dominating defense (The Jags "D" is very similiar to The Steelers and they couldn't hang with them) Washington just collapsed in the playoff game...It had nothing to do with The Seahawks they just didn't execute...I mean hell The Redskins forced 3 turn overs and didn't win....If Pittsburgh gets 3 or more t/o's (Like I'm expecting) turn out the lights the parties over..

Watch for Polamalu to shadow Alexander all game long...Seattle doesn't match up well on either side of the ball....One post was saying to "Ignore the stats" and "Bad teams don't make the Super Bowl" the sad thing is both those statements are pure bullshit!! I mean ignore the stats??? That doesn't even deserve a response..But for the other I'll take the blow to myself...in 1985 the best team in the AFC was Miami (They gave the bears their only loss of that year) and yet somehow The Pats managed to win that playoff game and got humiliated in the Super Bowl....You're looking at the same scenario here....The Panthers would've had the best chance injuries eliminated them and now we have to sit through this on Sunday.

I agree with you 100% that any of the AFC Playoff teams (Including the Jags since they own a win over Seattle already) would've beaten The Seahawks and won the Bowl....This is probably going to be one of the weakest S.B.'s in a long time.

T_man357 said:
Watch for Polamalu to shadow Alexander all game long...Seattle doesn't match up well on either side of the ball....

I agree to a point. Polamalu is one of the few sure tacklers that does it with a hit and that may scare Alexander. However, that becomes a little predictable to do all of the time and forces Troy to stay close to the middle of the field not knowing if the run is to the left or right. Another option is play some nickel and have Townsend playing the NB position, which he played most of his career with the Steelers anyway. Townsend doesn't play the run well against bruisers (obviously one reason is he is a corner) but he is a good blitzer and sheds blocks well for a smaller guy and wraps up very well tackling. He is quite good in run support against the small backs. SA isn't small, but as I said, he avoids contact.

Your post makes the most sense out of any pertaining to this topic. I like you believe that the win will be on the strength of the Steeler "D".

The Steelers have had really good defenses through the whole Cowher era. Unfortunately, when they had Dwayne Washington and Chad Scott as corners, they had some problems in pass defense, but the biggest difference between the Cowher era Steelers of the last 13 years and this one is really the offense. They have a viable passing attack with Ward, Miller, Randle El and Cedric Wilson and last but not least Roethlisberger. Look out for this small school rookie Nate Washington too. He was awesome in pre-season and had a catch last week against the Broncs. I don't put too much faith in what I see in pre-season, but there is something about that kid....

I agree with you 100% that any of the AFC Playoff teams (Including the Jags since they own a win over Seattle already) would've beaten The Seahawks and won the Bowl....This is probably going to be one of the weakest S.B.'s in a long time.

The AFC has won 6 of the last 8 Super Bowls. Where we disagree with Seattle is not that I feel they aren't a quality team. They ARE a quality team in the NFC. As of right now, the AFC is simply a much stronger conference. I think the NFC is making some strides to even it out, but it's not there yet. The power is in the AFC right now.

Bryant

Did you play?? Or are you just an excellent student of the game..:worship:
Again I agree with just about everything except your closing statements..
They're were much better teams in the NFC than Seattle...Most of them played in competitive divisions making their wins and losses a little more normal than the 6-0 that Seattle pulled off in their own division alone....
Alot of those teams suffered crushing injuries in the last weeks of the playoff hunt whereas besides the pushovers Seattle played they didn't have to try too hard for. Seahawks came off there bye week and closed the season with
Cardinals, Rams, 49ers, Giants, Eagles, 49ers, Titans, Colts, Packers.
The Giants gave Seattle that game (Anyone who saw it or remembers it knows that) Injuries and T.O. killed The Eagles this year, The Colts had no reason to win and benched everyone...and the rest of those teams aren't exactly "Murders Row" So those are pretty much that's my primary reason for having no respect for Seattle they played pushovers for most of their schedule now they're in the Bowl and people are going to try and tell me how they earned it and will be competitive....Sorry not buying it, that's just me though...

On a totally unrelated note Bryant, A buddy of mine inherited a Card Shop
(It's a long story that I don't even know all of) but anyway I'm going through this massive mountain of cards and I came up on a mint 1969 L.C. Greenwood Rookie Card and it really got me thinking about all the quality defenders they've had through the years (We talked about a few of them before) and I just want to give Rod Woodson praise!! Him along with the guys we spoke about before (Lloyd, Carter, etc...) was a great player..

T_man357 said:
You guys are getting a visit from Terrell Owens today.....Should you hear anything on your local news about him possibly signing with Denver a post on the board....I'm curious as to what Shanahan thinks he can get out of such an obvious headcase..

He was in yesterday. There hasn't been anything but speculation in the media. He's got some hefty bonus money coming his way on March 1. That would make a trade for him pretty difficult to fit under the cap. There's also talk that the Broncs are interested in trading for Ricky Williams. Ya know, just when I thought things were headed in a good direction for my Broncs they start pulling this crap. If Owens makes a return trip I may just have to find a grassy knoll near the airport for me and my ought six. :D Just kidding. I don't have an ought six. My aim ain't bad though if'n I had a loaner and a little time to get used to the kick. Ain't much worse than a 12 guage, is it?