Off-Topic

Eh, the poem's not too bad. It's listenable. But yeah, you'd think that being one of the best lyricists in the business, he could come up with something better than a bunch of second-rate goth poetry. I do think that having the members of the band each recite different parts was a cool idea though. I think the poem would have worked out okay if he had kept it around two or three minutes tops. Give us this stark interlude and then go back to overwhelming you with epicness.

Oceanborn remains my favorite Nightwish album. It's the most consistent in terms of quality and has plenty of great iconic pieces like Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean, The Pharaoh Sails to Orion, Walking in the Air, and Sleeping Sun, as well as awesome performances from Emppu and Tuomas - which sadly is something we don't get too much of these days. Whenever Emppu does something cool, I get all excited about it because he doesn't do it that often, and Tuomas even less so.

Second favorite would be a tie between Once and Dark Passion Play. Once isn't their strongest album musically, but man oh man, the VOCALS. Tarja just blows me away The vocals have always been one of the vital elements of Nightwish, but she really steals the show here. Once has one of the best performances by a singer ever - I can only think of three or four other albums that are on that level. Oh, and it has Ghost Love Score - AKA the most brilliant piece of symphonic metal ever produced. That song alone is more than worth the price of the whole album.

Dark Passion Play is essentially a more developed and diverse version of Once with a different singer, and it succeeds in that wonderfully. I don't love Annette as much as I do Tarja, but she's magnificent here nonetheless. It's s shame that a masterpiece like this had to be marred by the inclusion of some petty drama, because otherwise there's very little to dislike.

I would place Imaginaerum (anyone else think they should have kept the initial spelling?) third. Great quality, very consistent, and as Flesh&Blood pointed out, diverse. I would still consider it a metal album because that's mostly what we get here, but its cool that they're not afraid to delve into other genres. It never quite hits the high points the other three albums I listed do, but it's great nonetheless.

I only place Imaginaerum first because there aren't any songs that I dislike

I'd place Once second, Dark Passion Play third, Century Child fourth (though it and DPP are very close), Wishmaster and Oceanborn kind of tied for fifth, though I like Wishmaster a little better.

I have yet to hear Century Child all the way through. I tried giving it a listen years ago, but quit after a few songs because I just wasn't feeling it. My tastes have evolved significantly since then though, so I've been meaning to give it another go.

I find Century Child incredibly boring. There are a couple of really good songs, but that's it. Unlike Oceanborn, where every song is fantastic.

I only really disliked the 2-3 songs between Slaying the Dreamer and Phantom of the Opera. The first 5 tracks are incredible, and so are the closing 2 (Beauty of the Beast is one of my favorite Nightwish songs to date).

I'm not sure yet if I prefer DPP or Imaginaerum. I tend to agree with everyone's comments on the poem in Song Of Myself. I give it a pass because I consider the album somewhat of a soundtrack, so I take the content with a grain of salt. Previously I would have said DPP is my favorite Nightwish album, and I've been a fan since Oceanborn.

Dude, I am a shameless Tarja fanboy - she's my favorite singer of all time - but DPP would probably be my favorite Nightwish album if it weren't for Bye Bye Beautiful.

Dare I admit that I like Bye Bye Beautiful. I even think the 12 minute DJ Orkidea Remix is kind of cool. :)

I'd dislike that song even if I wasn't a Tarja fan - it's DPP's Wish I Had An Angel, which I detest. The only thing I like about it is that the opening reminds me of Live and Let Die. :)

To be fair though, it's not as bad as Wish I Had and Angel. I know a lot of people love that one but I think it's their worst song ever.

Haha...I guess I fall in that camp. I like Bye Bye Beautiful because it reminds me of Wish I Had An Angel, which I also like. :)

I need to try some more of Nightwish's music. I have heard many songs, all of which I like, but there are many I am still to hear.

I like a smattering of Nightwish songs from various albums, but I've never liked a whole album of theirs as much as Imaginaerum. Imaginaerum pretty much blew me away the first time I listened to it. Only parts I'm not into are the scream-ish thing in Ghost River and the "poetry" (note the irony with which I say the word) at the end of Song of Myself.

Ghost River is MUSICAL PERFECTION, including the screaming parts. I'm not always pleased when Marco does that, but there I feel it works well. Probably my favorite Nightwish song next to Ghost Love Score. Maybe they should do more songs that start with the word "ghost." :)

I was listening to Master Passion Greed today for the first time in a while and I was struck by how much parts of it resemble Storytime.

I'm not a huge fan of either Scaretale or Ghost River, they both seem as if they were written for very specific scenes of the film, and they just aren't too interesting for me.

DPP and Once are just about tied for my favorite albums, with Ghost Love Score easily being my favorite song.

Also, does Last Ride of the Day resemble Wishmaster to anyone else?

I think Imaginaerum is great. I bought the digibook with the instrumental version of the album as well, and I have to admit that I listen to that one much more than the normal version, Song of Myself being the main reason for that...

On the Tarja vs Anette debate :loco: : Tarja and Anette are both great at what they do, but Anette is much more all-round. Imagine Imaginaerum sung by Tarja? Nah... On DPP, Anette still has to fight off Tarja's legacy (not saying that was bad, but she made Nightwish' sound). On Imaginaerum, the match between music and singer is perfect.

I think Tarja was really great mainly on the last album she was in (can't remember what it was called)--slighty less throaty and operatic, but the same beautiful voice and vocal talent. Anette--meh...she just sounds like another pop singer. She's not bad, but she's not a starring role the way Tarja was.

I didn't have DPP yet, never bought it bc I didn't like it too much. This morning there was a library sale, however, selling DPP (+ DVD with bonus material) and Epica's Divine Conspiracy, for 0.50 each... Well, I still don't like DPP too much, but I like it more than 50 cents. :D

Crap...I would be all over Epica's stuff for .50. And DPP too. If only to have an extra copy to hand out.
DPP was my first Nightwish album I owned. Good memories...The Islander is the best ballad ever created.

I think Tarja was really great mainly on the last album she was in (can't remember what it was called)--slighty less throaty and operatic, but the same beautiful voice and vocal talent.

It's interesting how Tarja has developed over the years. She's always been great , but i wasn't until Once that she really came into her own. She hit the perfect middle-ground between operatic and rock vocals.

Anette--meh...she just sounds like another pop singer. She's not bad, but she's not a starring role the way Tarja was.

Once again, huge Tarja fanboy here, but Anette is an amazing singer. She may have started out a s pop singer, but she's more than proven her ability to do metal. In fact, I think she's one of the best female metal singers ever. The only ones I'd put ahead of her are Tarja, Liv Kristine (Leaves' Eyes), and Charlotte Wessels (Delain). Nightwish made a VERY smart move when they got her.

Honestly though, they're vastly different singers and if weren't for the Nightwish connection, people would hardly ever be comparing them.

Good memories...The Islander is the best ballad ever created.

I wish Marco would do a whole album with songs like the Islander. Even though I wasn't expecting it, I was still a tiny bit disappointed that there wasn't something similar on Imaginaerum.

Yeah, the islander is easily one of, if not my most favorite nightwish songs.

And now for something completely different....

I'm heading out for a week to lead a group of middle schoolers on a mission trip