Official video game thread - what are you playing?!

Finished Bioshock Infinite, started on Dishonored at the strong suggestion of a couple friends. Getting stuck/frustrated fairly regularly because I have never been any good at stealth...

I usually HATE FPSs, but I just broke down and bought Bioshock Infinite because it was cheap on Steam, and because I know something about the story, and it's supposed to be amazing. How is the gameplay, for someone who doesn't play (and is terrible at) first-person shooters? If nothing else, can I set in on "super easy" in order to plow through the action sequences and get to the plot, or am I going to have a shitty time with this game?

Taking a break from AC 4. Well, the shitty mini-game in which you're infiltrating the server (2nd time). Enjoying Knack though!

I think those hacking minigames are pretty cool, if rather easy.

Returned to AC4. The camera angle during the second observatory sequence is quite irritating. Almost done though.

I almost got nauseous during that sequence. I get that the camera wants to sort of help you figure out where to go... but dammit, I'm a grown-ass man, I can figure it out myself.

This might be the first time a new Assassin's Creed game has, for me, NOT been better overall than the previous game in the series. The story is forgettable, the gameplay has nice new elements but I keep finding myself wanting to go kill ships rather than advance the main story, and the "signature" AC gameplay (running around the city) is more irritating in this incarnation. The new "modern day" story is pretty cool, but the clumsy first-person gameplay has to go; it's terrible.

I usually HATE FPSs, but I just broke down and bought Bioshock Infinite because it was cheap on Steam, and because I know something about the story, and it's supposed to be amazing. How is the gameplay, for someone who doesn't play (and is terrible at) first-person shooters? If nothing else, can I set in on "super easy" in order to plow through the action sequences and get to the plot, or am I going to have a shitty time with this game?

I put it on easy (because I'm one of those people who'd rather get on with the storyline than mess with tactics) and I had no problems at all. The end battle took a couple of tries, but nothing too frustrating.

I bought Spelunky on Steam, because it was obviously a modernized version of Spelunker (a 30 yr old game for the Atari). What I didn't realize is that not only does the game maintain the insane difficulty of running/jumping/dodging, but every time you die, it generates an entirely new level, so if you blow it, you don't get to redo it. (I had been under the assumption that each level was randomly generated as you *reached* it, which would have been fine.)

I'm working on Knack and Lego Marvel right now.. in AC4 - I got to a point leading into one of the last DNA sequences and stopped playing the storyline to go and finish up the Templar quests, and I'm working on the Legendary Ships battles.. those are tough.

I too needed a break from Assassin's Creed (which is the first time that has ever happened), so I started messing around with Starbound, the new sandbox game from some of the devs of Terraria. It's still an early-access version on Steam, and it's extremely rough around the edges (nearly unplayable for me because the controls are not yet able to be remapped), but I can see where they're going with it, and I like it a lot. It's truly a sci-fi-based remake of Terraria, but with more immediate variety in surroundings, more tasks, and more story.

Starbound is cool. It's Terraria in space with a lot of UI improvements. It's pretty rough still, like you said. And the end game isn't quite figured out. It's also more grindy feeling than its predecessor.

Anyone listen to games podcasts? I've been getting bored with my music playlists at the gym so lately I've been listening to video games podcasts instead. Big fan of the Giant Bombcast and IGN's Podcast Beyond (their playstation editorial staff's podcast). The team that localizes a bunch of Japanese games, including Fire Emblem, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, etc etc does a podcast called 8-4 Play that's cool too.

I don't. I used to read Kotaku religiously, but then Crecente left, it fell to usual Gawker standards, and I gave up on it completely. Around that time a kid also entered the picture so I cut game news out completely. Since I'm working from home now, though, I've considered trying to keep up with the industry again, but since I have so little real play time I'm not sure. I don't even have a next gen system in mind for 2014 right now, not even a Wii U.

I occasionally listen to The Indoor Kids, but mostly when they have a guest I'm interested in, and it's more because I'm a fan of Kumail Nanjiani as a comedian than because I want to hear them talk about console games I will likely never play.

However, I recently began doing the nerdiest thing possible: I started listening to a board game podcast (The Dice Tower). That's right; I started listening to an audio podcast for what is a 99.9% visual and tactile hobby. :lol:

I beat the first Golden Sun the weekend before last while camping out overnight in the Charlotte airport. Was a great game. I've started on the second one, but I find that the music is noticeably crappier. I want the first one's soundtrack back. Isaac's battle theme is awesome! Felix's is lame.

I beat the first Golden Sun the weekend before last while camping out overnight in the Charlotte airport. Was a great game. I've started on the second one, but I find that the music is noticeably crappier. I want the first one's soundtrack back. Isaac's battle theme is awesome! Felix's is lame.

I have Golden Sun: Dark Dawn in my backlog.

Just bought the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow deluxe edition for the PS3. That ought to keep me busy for a while.

Yes, yes it will.

As for what I've played, I finished of Mark Of The Ninja on PC. One of the better stealth games I've played.

Sitting on the fence about buying the current Humble Bundle Sid Meir pack.... I loved the original Civilization back in the day and could easily get into the newer versions and the price is right. Does anyone know if one Steam account can be used on 2 different machines? I know my wife would enjoy these as well.

Sitting on the fence about buying the current Humble Bundle Sid Meir pack.... I loved the original Civilization back in the day and could easily get into the newer versions and the price is right. Does anyone know if one Steam account can be used on 2 different machines? I know my wife would enjoy these as well.

Yes, but not at the same time. If you exited your Steam client, she could launch hers (same account) and you'd both be able to play that way, but not simultaneously. I bought that bundle the other day, as chance would have it.

Civ V is a veritable time vortex.

You also possibly could activate different versions on different accounts, tho I don't know how well that works with their new activation system.