Official video game thread - what are you playing?!

Uncharted was a Tomb Raider clone first. And TR does everything better.

Uncharted was a Tomb Raider "clone" only in the sense that you actually went to tombs and shot things - but Uncharted's gameplay is more like Ico (in the exploring/climbing/puzzle segments) meets Gears of War. It's pretty different from Tomb Raider aside from the aesthetics. Tomb Raider was much more about platforming and there was much less emphasis on the shooting in comparison. The NEW Tomb Raider game on the hand, is almost exactly like Uncharted but has even LESS exploration than Uncharted.

I'll disagree with the last point. While it is largely a linear experience, there is a bit more room to explore in Tomb Raider, with the optional tombs and being able to fast travel back to previous areas to pick up whatever junk you missed/couldn't access before.

That being said, the optional tombs are pretty weak. Here's a puzzle. You've solved it? Good, you win.

Otherwise, I agree. Tomb Raider was more about exploring and solving puzzles than the shooty-shooty. Tomb Raider 2013 is the other way around, a third person cover shooter first, exploration second. Ironic, considering it is supposed to be the beginnings of Lara Croft.

Just picked up my D3 Reaper of Souls copy. Can't wait to crack into Act 5!

Loot 2.0 made the game a lot better. As did annihilating the AH.

Just picked up my D3 Reaper of Souls copy. Can't wait to crack into Act 5!

Loot 2.0 made the game a lot better. As did annihilating the AH.

Just bought D3, and the expansion, I took advantage of the extra exp weekend to get to 30, now I just have to drag my ass from DotA2 to finish DIII and try to play it on hard with some friends. I'm really getting into DotA2, it's held my attention pretty continuously since Halloween.

-J

I got bit by the MMO bug again, but since I'm cheap I went f2p and started playing Rift. I'm quite enjoying it so far.

I also bought Chrono Trigger on PSN when it was on sale for $5, so I'm playing that yet again as well. God what a brilliant game that is.

My recent activities:

Finished Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger last week. It is OK, but other than some novel storytelling bits it doesn't really do anything new.

Started Ico on my PS3. Initial impression is that the controls haven't aged well (Triangle for the jump button? Really?), but it should be an interesting experience.

Also recently picked up Ironclad Tactics on Steam, the latest game from SpaceChem developer Zachtronics. So far, interesting.

Started Ico on my PS3. Initial impression is that the controls haven't aged well (Triangle for the jump button? Really?), but it should be an interesting

I'm assuming you're playing the HD version right? I played that one a couple of years ago, and I do agree that the control scheme is kind of dated - but it's still super fun. I missed out on it when it came out, and I really regret that. The game is like something you'd get from Nintendo EAD - not Sony Studio Japan. Modern classic.

I haven't been playing to many games lately, but back in April, I finally finished that Ys : Memories of Celceta on my PS Vita and started playing Bravely Default on my 3DS. In fact, I went and purchased a 3DS XL because I wanted the larger screen, plus the larger size of the unit was actually more comfortable for me to hold and play (I felt too cramped with the smaller unit, especially with my somewhat large hands). So, now I got a spare 3DS that I may either sell or end up giving to my nephew (provided my brother lets him play video games).

Oof. Had to restore my PC due to issues, re-downloaded Civ 5, and discovered several new Civs made available in the last month or so.

Goodbye, folks, see you in a couple weeks.

I haven't been playing to many games lately, but back in April, I finally finished that Ys : Memories of Celceta on my PS Vita and started playing Bravely Default on my 3DS. In fact, I went and purchased a 3DS XL because I wanted the larger screen, plus the larger size of the unit was actually more comfortable for me to hold and play (I felt too cramped with the smaller unit, especially with my somewhat large hands). So, now I got a spare 3DS that I may either sell or end up giving to my nephew (provided my brother lets him play video games).

The XL is pretty nice. I'm still working my way though Project X Zone, which isn't the greatest game in the world, but the fan service is quite silly.

On PS3, I've been playing Red Dead Redemption. This was one of those games I really wish was on PC because 1) it would look better and 2) I hate trying to aim with the controller. I really miss having keyboard/mouse for this game.

On PS3, I've been playing Red Dead Redemption. This was one of those games I really wish was on PC because 1) it would look better and 2) I hate trying to aim with the controller. I really miss having keyboard/mouse for this game.

Oh yeah. Red Dead Redemption is an awesome game. I was playing that back when it first came out, but never got around to finishing it. I may have to go dig it back out and see if I can finish it. There were too many times when I just wanted to hop on a horse and go out and explore the desert in that game.

However, just last night, I went and picked up Mario Kart 8 for my Wii U. Another bonus is that when I went and registered it on Club Nintendo, I got a download code for a free game, so I went and downloaded Pikmen 3 as well, which I wanted to get anyway. I've had not had a chance to play it yet, though.