Old Katatonia..

theDarkLord

I lay naked in the rain..
Jun 11, 2001
Istanbul, Turkey..
Aren't there anybody who misses the Old Katatonia.. Everybody seems to be quite happy with the new form..
Well, as a start, the Revival was really cool.. It was a little of Black Metal sound and lyrics, but still succesful..
For funerals to come was also cool.. the Lyrics of the same song, just kills..

"Through the bleak window of my soul
In marble halls of falling snow
Winter touch the Earth undone
Embittered we embrace the funerals to come.."

Both had beautiful instrumentals, too.. They are not creating instrumantals any more..
Dance of December Souls is a supreme album.. I still insist, that the Lyrics are written by Mikael Akerfeldt.. I'm really sure of it, it is just his style.. the Vocals on some parts of the songs are incredible.. Like when he says the words ' Sorrow ' or ' Death ' or ' Die ' and that sort, his brutal goes so deep and sorrowful, like a dirge..
Brave Murder Day.. Everyone would join me, that it is a very well done album.. Mikael's vocals are marvelous as always.. I also like the lyrics of this album very much..
Sounds of Decay.. Again Mikael's vocals, and again a supreme album.. All three songs are beyond beauty.. Especially 'Nowhere' is extraordinary.. And also the lyrics of course..

' Everything is real, but I'm not here.. I've lost my strength, somewhere nowhere.. Used to care about weather.. Used to plan the days that came.. Used to try and watch you.. Used to know my name.. Someone said : ' Remember.. ', but I can't remember.. Anything at all.. anything at all.. '

And so, the New Katatonia starts here with Discouraged ones.. They are re-shaping, and going softer.. Like known examples of Anathema, or a better known --> Metallica..
With the new style, they created again beautiful songs, but there were a lot of crap, too.. Some songs with awful lyrics, and some songs with awful music.. And some with awful vocals..

Discouraged Ones, I cannot like though I listened a hundred of times.. ' Gone ' is special among others, it is really very very good.. and We can add one or two more average songs near that, the rest are all failure.. Lyrics, except ' Gone ' are crap..

Tonight's Decision.. Still it is lack of something.. ' Strained ', ' I'm nothing ', and ' a Darkness Coming ' are nice songs, but with one or two to be added, the album again is not above average.. the Lyrics are good this time.. At least better than discouraged ones..

And the last album.. I think it is the worst album of Katatonia.. the Only song I could like was ' the Future of Speech '.. ' the Passing Bird ' also is a little good, and all the others are all akind.. Similar to each other and lack of atmosphere..

Well for the reasons why Katatonia turned softer.. Of course it is the Financial status.. If they would stay hard, and continue on the Old Katatonia, they would be known less, and they would earn less.. As mentioned before, they followed the path of Metallica and Anathema..

So I miss old Katatonia.. At least I wanna hear it in the concerts.. Damn they are all playing from the New Katatonia !! Whatever.. Stay hard..

Jonas did vocals on dance of december souls. I'm sure he wrote the lyrics too...

I really dont' think katatonia or anathema are changing cuz of the cash situation. They are on peaceville, hardly a label that anyone is going to make a ton of cash on. I think they are just making music that they like. I don't either bands change of direction was unexpected. if anything, brave murder day was the album that changed everything for katatonia. they went very minimalistic on that album and had a healthy dose of jonas' clean vocals. I like the older katatonia a lot, but I don't think it touches the stuff they are doing now. their song writing has improved 1000 fold, the vocals are getting better each time and they still have that guitar tone that everyone loves. still simple riffs and great melodies stung together. its still katatonia. same with anathema. it still sounds like anathema. metalheads throw sell out around way too much. if they are making music they like, than that is what its all about. no reason to comform to somebody elses expectations when its your music. if they weren't doing what they wanted because a few fans were bitching and moning too much, that would be lame. that would be selling out. doing what you want to do, regardless of what others say, is staying true to yourself, and that is all that matters.

Well I didn't say Dance of December Souls vocals were not Jonas's.. But the lyrics are not his.. He is not that talented man.. It is Mikael's.. Someone that knows Opeth very well, could guess it in a second.. It is written on the album and on the site and everywhere that it is Jonas's but it's not..

And for the change, it did not begin in Brave Murder Day.. Also the vocals of Brave Murder Day are not Jonas's.. They are Mikael Akerfeldt's, from Opeth.. If you cannot recognize Jonas's brutals and the difference between Mikael's then I'm sorry for your music analyze..

You can like the new ones, but it's not the same Katatonia..

As we do nowadays..

Do you listen to Metallica ?
- yeah, the old stuff..

Do you listen to Katatonia ?
- yeah, the old stuff..

The clean vocals on brave murder day are by Jonas. Look at your liner notes. Or on the site. Or listen to them, they sound nothing like akerfeldts.

I think Jonas is very talented. He wrote the lyrics on the dance of december souls. They would of credited akerfeldt if he wrote them. anyway. katatonia and metallica are nowhere in the same realm. all katatonia is well written well done music from the heart. metallica's comes off as crapola. they sound like they don't care anymore. katatonia comes off the complete opposite.

whatever. these conversations are a waste of time.

Well, I cared the brutal vocals of BMD, and they were from Mikael..

And DoDC's lyrics are Mikael's.. Why not credited, because Mikael was just a friend of them those days, not in his fame of now.. I hope someone from Katatonia will announce this one day..

If it is wasting time in here, I like wasting it..

Hey man do not say it
YOU did not speak with them HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT THEY HAVE changed BUT I DID
you said that you did not like the lyrics of discouraged ones
"Who is painting my life in sorrow blue?"
"i can't do what you do i'm just able to teat it down yeah ....you can't do what i do i'm just able to ruin you yeah .... in your eyes
you're alive but in my eyes you're a lie"
" when i was thinking this was something permanent you were already thinking of going away"
"the weakness of hope
is the strength of decline
remember what's past ways
and what i've become
the joy of not being
something i need
i'm only weather
but only to me"

are the bad are not they depressive and do not say KATA is like anathema hey listen to me when Anathema was here they were at music shop they are giving their signature i wanted to take too but they draw me an ASS and laugh they are fool I hate them I wanted to talked them but whta did they do THEY WERE fucking ROCK STARS
But what about "Kata" they are not METALHEAD do you think that every thing is metal music
Did you ever listen Tea Party?
But you like fucked heavy metal groups
I don't what is this it is just "GRRR GRRR heyyt" "We are THe BROTHERS OF METAL" what are these shits?
DO you think that the fucked black metal groups saying "SATAN every where he is in me etc." do you think they are sincere about their feelings THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY like fucking Cradle of FÝLTH
Nowadays TREND IS BLACK OR HEAVY metal and "kata" is playing neither heavy nor black cause they are not trend hey man think twice there were only 150 people on friday and less than 100 on saturday
But If DARK funeral or Marduk come here there will be more than 300 people at concert
I love the old songs too I want to listen them too but i don't hate the ones I love them too
I asked Frederik about it why don't they playing like "brave" why they have changed their STYLE OF PLAYING he said to me now i can not compose that riffs now i can compose what i have played
(They like what they played cause the new music is some part of them as the old ones)
and Let's talk about changing
DÝD NOT THEY CHANGED when they did "Dance..." Do dance like "Jvha.."?
Or do "Dance.." like "Brave.."
if you are talking about a change these are changes too
But you are a little bit right they changed their logos like Immortal
Rotting Christ and Metallica also Sepultura etc.. but think twice look at the lyrics the Last album may include "She has got black hair she has got a black dress" ý don't like these lyrics but you said this song is a good song it looks like fucking love bands how can you love it?
how can't you love "How could this go so very wrong?"
They are still depressive cause they are depressive they don't say "SATAN SATAN" or "Carpe diem baby!" their path is depression not heavy metal
and i don't know haw can you bang your HEAD with Kata's music They are depressive
Did they ever said "FOREVER wilt i bleed for thee forever wilt i praise thy dreaded name forever wilt i serve thee Thou shalt forever prevail" and changed their mind like EMPEROR?
And I won't stay hard i will stay depressive cause these fucking fanatical hard groups changed their way but "kata" did not
ALL albums perfect especially "Brave.." "Sounds.." and "Tonight.."

If they have wanted to gain money they would have been doing black metal
And now if you say that i hate the new songs then WHAT ARE YOU DOING here? Visit the Dark funeral (fucking liars; their music is very good but they are not sincere)
Do you think that is Katatonia as famous as Emperor or Satyricon or Dark Funeral i say "nope" They begin to be more Endustiral but they are still less famous than Emperor Can you say anything about that?

How can you say anything about JONAS?
Do you have 4 (tne ones you love) big album
Did you composed an album like "Dance..." or "Sounds" or "Brave.." or "Jvha.."
Did you make any other efforts except listening music?
Please listen their last 3 albums AND READ THEIR LYRICS please
And do not say anything till you have band like "katatonia"

"My life is not dark if it had been i would not have seen the life(that depresses me)"

PS:The Wanderer our nicks are same :)

well,i don't think the lyrics on DODS vocal's are Åkerfeldts......his lyrics are let's say romantic in someway......the DoDS lyrics are awesome,but well this "romantic"element is somehow missing.......

and after all if it was really Mikael's lyrics they would have written it somewhere.......why not?

To Melancholia :

Again I didn't say Dance of December's vocals are Mikael's..

For that romantic part look at the lyrics of Gateways of Bereavement..
There you'll find

' I love you '

part which Mikael is influenced by Camel.. He uses it in Nectar also, saying ' I'll always love you ' and so.. the Only song he didn't write there is Without God, which was taken from the Revival album.. It is something he cannot write :) But the others are his.. I'm sure.. Someone, maybe the operator here can ask this to Katatonia or Mikael.. It was before Opeth had any albums, so Mikael's name was not written.. Instead he was just a friend who helped them with the album.. You know they are long friends..

to Wanderer:

Well, I'm not saying that Katatonia is no longer Depressive or no longer good.. I'm saying that I miss the old stuff.. I liked them more than these..

As you say, you don't like Passing Bird's lyrics and the song, right ? that's the part I wanna catch on.. the New albums have many songs not to be liked.. But the older ones' songs are all masterpieces..

For the passing bird, I don't have their lyrics, and none of the new album, maybe you could send'em to my mail.. But musically it comes the second for me after ' the Future of Speech '..

For Anathema part, I don't care if they painted you an ass or so, but the way Katatonia and Anathema follow is the same..

There were more than 200 on Saturday.. And not half of them were satisfied after the concert.. I watched many bands here, and no concert was this pale.. Even the last Timat concert had so many action and satisfication..

No, I'm talking about a big change.. New Logo, new tones, new vocals, and new atmosphere.. How can Katatonia have a song called ' Sweet Nurse ' or that kind.. Where is that atmosphere, and where is this ?

You passed the part of the instrumentals in the first post.. They were marvelous.. Why no more instrumentals ?

I'm not defending Black Metal here, why are you asking me about Dark Funeral or Emperor ? I don't care about them, they can do whatever they can..

And again I didn't say I hated the new songs.. I sad they are all below average, only some songs can maintain the previous masterpieces..

Staying hard is not listening to black metal or worshipping Satan.. Staying hard is not changing all over.. Everything changes, but why don't accept the before ?

Why doesn't Katatonia play just a song from their previous albums ? Did you ever think of this ? Were they sins ? Were they awful ? No.. But they have changed, and they erased their past.. Even Metallica, the band you curse at, is playing songs from their first albums.. Why not Katatonia ?

I can say anything about Jonas, about Katatonia, about the band I like most or I hate most.. They are my choices.. I listened to the albums enough, I have their records, and I went to the concert.. I can't do something more, sorry..

Whatever.. I still miss Old Katatonia..

theDarkLord, I really don´t get it. I mean, almost every second word I find in your posts is "Mikael". Mr. Akerfeldt was (and still is) a friend, not a bandmember, and I believe it was a good choice to let Jonas perform all vocals since he has the quality to add a subtle scent of melancholy and depression to simple words.
I also like the "old stuff" with Mikael´s growls, but it´s never too early to change, I think.
Otherwise I´d be afraid to see Katatonia running round in musical circles sooner or later.
And you didn´t compare Katatonia with Metallica...no you didn´t do that! Nooooo...! Ahhhh...sometimes repression is salvation :rolleyes:

to My Dying Groom:

Well, Mikael's name is always there because we're discussing on two things here.. Katatonia's change and Dance of December Soul's lyrics whether Mikael's or not..

Of course it is the best thing for Jonas to sing, Mikael is just a close friend, sometimes co-operating sometimes singing and so..

And to this Metallica thing, it is an example of the way Katatonia is following.. Why does everybody understand it as a compare between Katatonia and Metallica ? What similarities do they have ? Can there be something to compared between them, of course no..

Forget about the examples, Anathema or Metallica, everybody speaks about these..

Hey, slow down and don't say this shit about Anathema ! They drew ass to you because they are not posers: "Oh shit how much we're depressive! You can't emagine, how much we're depressive !" They enjoy life and laugh without thinkin' "What ppl will say?" . I don't think that they ignored you , you just wanted to see KATATONIA, and you didn't care 'bout others !!!

Allright, you won´t have to tell me what this discussion is about, I just don´t disapprove of this "change" as strictly as you.

"No, I'm talking about a big change.."
This is questionable. I think the band still has some of these "old vibes" in their new style of songwriting, just listen to those guitars, these tones carry the "old atmosphere" with them.
It´s at least no prob for me listening to "DoDS" and putting the "Teargas EP" into the player afterwards.
The "biggest" change lies in the sole use of clean vocals, which, as already mentioned, was a wise decision in my eyes.
Another aspect could be that Katatonia nowadays has more money to spend on the album sound so that it might sound too "clean" to some guys who still have the (nevertheless great) "Brave..."- sound in mind, for example.

Hmm... kinda fruitless discussion about different "atmospheres".
Anyway - stay hard, too

Every songwriter has to learn. Jonas obviously has decided not to reply to this either 1. cos he can't be fucked or 2. because it's quite harsh.

When I first started to write lyrics I copied others, eg. Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins who I aspired to a lot. but I have now formed my own style. Thats not to say my old songs were written by Billy Corgan. Anyone can copy somewones style, this is not a bad thing, it's all part of growing up in music.

Every songwriter I have listened to has inspired me, not to write like them but to try and write a song with meaning, the same way they would put their meaning into it I put my meaning into it and let it come out however i want.

To understand this you have to really be a songwriter, fighting over lyrics is pointless, maybe Jonas never wrote the lyrics, maybe his mum did, for now however you have to believe that he did otherwise it's pointless.

To Anthony:

Sorry friend the discussion should have not spread to Metallica and Anathema, that was my fault..

To My Dying Groom:

Well, we cannot make it to the end about the change theorem.. But some questions for you..

Wouldn't you like it, if Katatonia had two instrumentals, two songs like brave, gateways of breavement, and the rest is as it is now in their new album.. Wouldn't that be a more divine and better project..

And wouldn't you want them see alive, playing Murder, In Silence Enshrined, or Northern Palace.. or Midwinter Gates as the Epilogue.. or etc..

To Fakespace

I also write, but that's not something about it.. Every close Opeth and Katatonia fan, would understand the difference in the lyrics.. None of the Katatonia albums has that of Dance of December Souls' style.. And all of Opeth albums have.. All the words used in the album and the flow and more are all to Mikael..

I'll give some examples again, but don't want them to be talked more than the subject itself :) Here it is

Slow...
Descending from a silent sky
Death comes to take me away
And from the gateways you hear me
Cry...

...I love you...

Come on this is not Jonas.. This is truely Mikael.. and..

Tearful my face borders the path
Sleeping, dreaming of my bride
And freezing my soul is praying
"Take me the way through the night"

Here he uses the same style of his, giving this speech at the end of the lines.. I'm sure any Opeth fan can understand me.. Well at least they can try.. :) and..

Putrid faces engulfs the path
To the shore of no hope, a bridge
Blackened roses in the cradle of sleep
Whispers: "Our death is eternal"

This is just Mikael.. That last part ' Whispers: " Our death is eternal " '.. Noone can reject this.. Here is an example to this of his own work from Morningrise, the Night and the Silent Water..

Devoid of death
The aura poises amidst (the storm)
In solid tears I linger
A parlour glade, moonlit sorrow
Lonely resting pools
Relics of the moon-dogged lake
Whisper: "All your words are miss given"

Can't you see ? Why do you all keep rejecting this ? It is not something of shame.. When the album was made, there was no Opeth, and Mikael was still a very close friend to them.. And he could do the songwriting.. And they gave him no credit.. That's all.. and a last example..

Silently the nightbirds fly
Their last scream my eternal dirge
Under the fullmoon a funeral
In the forest

the Forest and the other themes are all Mikael's.. Jonas is not into the Nature thing that much.. Also that 'dirge' word and many other words including ' bereavement ', ' bleak ' etc are to Mikael..

I hope Mikael or Jonas or someone official from the bands can tell the way I'm wrong and right..

Being 9 years old when Dance of December Souls was released is surely takes a big mouth to claim completely wrong facts about the past. It's pretty easy, if you were around those days you'd never write this post because you would KNOW the situation. If you try to imagine, there was a also a SCENE back there as well, when we played only JEM and DODS songs in every concert, or when we played FFTC and BMD songs all over Europe. So what did all the people who bitch about the old stuff do at the time? 9 years old? Would you have gone to the concert anwyay with that age?!?

If you weren't part of the scene back then, then please don't bitch about the past. NEVER DO THAT!

So here's some facts to add to your lack of knowledge:

Jonas wrote all the lyrics on every Katatonia album, except for me, writing a few where credited.

Mikael Akerfeldt sang on BMD and SOD, co-produced the vocals on DO and TD, and played session live guitar/vocals on a handful of gigs. Nothing more, nothing less.

To the Dark LORD:
obviously i was refering to the lyrics,though accidentally i added the word "vocal" somewhere........
and btw....since i am an old Katatonia and Opeth fan*posing now* i can distinct Mikael's from Jonas vocals.. hehe

hhhmmmm,I hope Anders' reply "added some facts to your lack of knowledge":

"Jonas wrote all the lyrics on every Katatonia album, except for me, writing a few where credited.

Mikael Akerfeldt sang on BMD and SOD, co-produced the vocals on DO and TD, and played session live guitar/vocals on a handful of gigs. Nothing more, nothing less. "

and btw......."I love you"....hmmmmmmm not so romantic.....compare Opeth lyrics (especially Morningrise,MAYH and Still Life) to DoDS's lyrics and you'll understand what i mean....

I have to admit that if the most important thing on everyones mind about the music is "who wrote this" is pointless. The main thing now is that Katatonia have there own style, they have been working at it now for sometime and it's an important example to every band, that you must never give up. The change on BMD began to define them. On "Discouraged Ones" the songs were very emotional, possibly though it was the producton that lacked quality. Tonights Decision is unquestionably their best in terms of written material, so well structured. LFDGD is a great album but there was just some abnout TD that spread a darkness around you.

Whats my point? If they are doing great stuff now, fuck the past!

"Wouldn't you like it, if Katatonia had two instrumentals, two songs like brave, gateways of breavement, and the rest is as it is now in their new album.. Wouldn't that be a more divine and better project..
And wouldn't you want them see alive, playing Murder, In Silence Enshrined, or Northern Palace.. or Midwinter Gates as the Epilogue.. or etc.. "

Well, of course it would be nice to see Katatonia playing their old stuff live, but, as Anders already outlined, just because I was too young (20 years) at the release dates of Kata´s old masterpieces I cannot punish the band by forcing them to perform the same old story at their live shows over and over again.
It´s sad but true - I understand the band´s urge to develop. And the band surely isn´t ignoring their former work, as "Endtime" showed up on recent setlists.

To Anders..

Well I don't think it's an age problem.. And I can't believe you think that so.. Do your young fans have to listen every time the new stuff ? Why don't you play just a song from the old albums ?Instead playing 5 from Tonight's Decision and 5 from Discouraged Ones, why not just one from the others ? Well whatever, of course you'll show up the new ones, but I know many who just dies to listen the old stuff.. Is it needed to be over 20 years old to see you live in a concert 5 years ago or so ?.. Oh, no..

And for the Mikael part, If you say so, there is nothing more to say.. It's not my lack of knowladge, I still believe the lyrics except for Without God in that album belong to Mikael, gave many examples and can give more, too.. Whatever, no more to be discussed..

And tnx for the reply, we needed an official mouth..

To Melancholia..

Now we're better in understanding..

For the Dance of December Souls lyrics' lack of romance, don't forget it is before Orchid, and nearly a black metal album.. You can't see on any other black metal album ' I love you ' part.. Except there is a Satan attached to the end.. And for the Orchid lyrics, they were not so romantic either..

Anders told us it was not Mikael.. Let's not discuss over it more.. Let it stay only as my thought..

to Fakespace..

Not pointless but.. Well no longer discussed any more..

Yes, I also appreicate Katatonia for that course..

For the new albums, I'm thinking a way different.. Of course they are marvelous stuff when compared to other bands, but I believe Katatonia have more potential.. That's why I yearn for more..

My point is, do not forget your past.. :)

to My Dying Groom..

Well it's not the same old story.. Do you think after 5 more album releases, Katatonia won't play from Discouraged ones or Tonight's Decision again ? No, they will.. But they will again ignore the old ones, the old Katatonia..

Well, Are you just satisfied with Endtime.. No, I'm not.. 1 song from 5 albums is not enough..