Old School Metal Head Influences....

Started with the Beatles in my older sisters record collection. In pilfering it further, I found Hendrix, Deep Purple, Sabbath, etc. This is circa 1971-72 (I'm 45), Got into Kiss, Boston, and then in 1978, the debut Van Halen record blew me away. After that, NWOBHM bands thanks to Kerrang! magazine, especially Iron Maiden. In 1979, I heard my first frank zappa record all the way through, and my eyes were opened to a huge variety of music along with my metal mainstays. Haven't faltered yet, probably never will. As for guitar playing, I was first impressed with Randy Rhoads, Angus Young, and Eddie Van Halen. That list is now way too long to consider trying to write down.....

Never took a liking to harsh vocals, still don't care for them....

Thanks buddy. The reason I could not stay away here was because I had the feeling that most of the people here were a lot more cooler then me. Goes to show... ;)

Were the hell is ElectricWiz? He's into the heavy shit just like me! Ha ha.:headbang:

Sorry man, didn't mean to leave you flying solo there! Yes, I'm old and I'm heavy! haha. Well, I'm 38. In any case, i love tons of black/death, etc. Gorgoroth, Goatwhore....well, tons of stuff. I love classic hard rock too, of course, and straight up classic metal. But Immortal, Emporer, and even Darkthrone will blow your mind if you give them a chance. I love seeing people of my age (or more) who are still progressive in their tastes, and embracing newer metal styles and bands.

Well at nearly 52 I shouldnt have to say but Hendrix made me want to pick up the guitar and I was always loud and noisy. By mid 70's I found merit in softer guitar sounds too which some of that came from Hendrix as well, I just needed to grow up and hear it. In mid 70's I retired my hardrock albums and was turned onto fusion... then progressive stuff like Kansas and Crack the Sky. I missed the Kiss early AC/DC, VanHalen phase because I was into this other stuff. By mid 80's I was rockin and bluesin again, then I was turned onto bands like Maiden, Savatage, Fates Warning by some younger fellow musicians and I was already set up to appreaciate more progressive and aggressive music from all my past. Worked out good but metal is still not all Im into.

I could list my bands by periods of listening but most of the guys here have already heard all about it. To sum up the early years it was Jimi and Jimmy

HA HA HA.... I am still around. Now that Christmas has passes and my baby is getting a little older, I will be able to get on the board more often. I love all of you here like brothers and sisters, but fortunately, I have went down the "family man" path. Many regulars here do not have kids and that is great..... sometimes I wish I didn't, but one look in my Son and daughter's gleaming eyes quickly changes that.
We have to have a few of us metal-heads reproducing to maybe keep the gene pool going. Maybe Shaye and Urban will surprise us all one day as well......
Great to see you Henri. You are still the man. One day I am going to visit Europe and meet all of you face to face if you never make it to PPUSA.

Bryant

:lol: Good to hear from you ya ol' bastard!

Started with the Beatles in my older sisters record collection. In pilfering it further, I found Hendrix, Deep Purple, Sabbath, etc. This is circa 1971-72 (I'm 45), Got into Kiss, Boston, and then in 1978, the debut Van Halen record blew me away. After that, NWOBHM bands thanks to Kerrang! magazine, especially Iron Maiden. In 1979, I heard my first frank zappa record all the way through, and my eyes were opened to a huge variety of music along with my metal mainstays. Haven't faltered yet, probably never will. As for guitar playing, I was first impressed with Randy Rhoads, Angus Young, and Eddie Van Halen. That list is now way too long to consider trying to write down.....

Never took a liking to harsh vocals, still don't care for them....

You forgot to mention Blackfoot. Most Southern Rock never played a big part in my life, but Blackfoot and later Brother Cane (if you want to consider them Southern Rock) did. Blackfoot actually had their (excuse the pun) "foot" in heavy metal on many songs. Great band !! I am sure you are doing a great Homer imitation saying "doh!" while reading this. I know you are a big fan of them as well as I.

Bryant

Yeah, I totally Doh'ed! LOL!

That's what happens when I try to post stuff from work....;)

Add Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, Doc Holliday, The Outlaws, & the Allman Bros. I really miss Blackfoot. The current version while good, just doesn't do it for me....Need the OLD stuff! Happy New Year!

Depends on what the OP considers "youth". Since the 80's I kept up with most developments up until around 2002 but I've not pursued anything which much vigour since then.

Van Halen had a big influence as did Dio, Ozzy, Sabbath, WASP, Crue Twisted Sister & Accept. When I broke the US thrash bubble I really digged the German scene and really liked the black/thrash style. Then Death Metal kicked my butt and as much as the US stuff was great I was once again wowed by another Euro scene, Sweden & the original Stockholm brand of Death. Black Metal was next on the hit list and one of my favourites (like Hawk) was Absu who have recently reformed and released new material!

So to all people, and I know Hawk will be the first to back this up.
Me take offense to this... :yuk:

anyways as for me,I'm 37 1/2 and I got into metal around 1983-4 with Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Van Halen etc. then progressed to Ozzy,Sabbath, Maiden, Priest ,AC/DC and then progressed to Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer and other Thrash bands of the mid to late 80's. When Grunge broke and Metallica came out with their crappy Black album (oddly enough I like it if it wasn't Metallica)I stopped listening to metal for a long time...was disillusioned with the scene... then the 2000's hit and I got into the 2nd wave of Black Metal (Emperor, Darkthrone,Immortal etc.). From there I explored other BM (Bathory) and some DM (Bloodbath) bands as well as some Doom... the only metal i pretty much don't like is prog/power...

I was 8 y.o. back in 1973 my aunt played Paranoid and been a fan ever since...44 now...faves:

Black Sabbath and Heaven and Hell
Slayer
Crowbar
Death
Vader
Kreator
Testament
Krisiun
Judas Priest
Exciter
Anvil
Riot

:kickass::kickass::kickass:

I grew up listining to my dad's Alice Cooper, Richie Blackmore and Slade records in the middle 70's. He bought me Kiss Alive II in about 1979 and its been metal ever since.

The 80s had a mssive impact on me and still does - everything from Accept, Running Wild, Quensryche, Saxon, Ratt, Dokken, Black'n'Blue, Keel, Crue, WASP, Icon, Lizzy Borden through to Maiden, Metallica, Venom, Sodom etc

Nowdays I listen to it all - from My Dying Bride through to Behemoth. But those late to middle 80's will alwys have a real special spot. Bands like Kreator and Saxon have never sounded better than they do today...