One album to rule them all.....

MajestikMøøse

Membrum virile
Jul 28, 2003
Not Siberia
To everyone, there is one album out there... that is to you, the one best album there is in the world. If so, what is it and explain your REASON why, or if you feel ambitious, a mini review. Simply saying "because it rules" isn't good enough here. Also, I'm not asking for flame wars, just intelligent music discussion. Thank You.

For me, to the current extent of my musical knowledge, I would like to cite Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss as my favorite piece of music ever. Every moment of the album is full of tremendous emotion. The 4 songs on the album are epic and beautiful in their simplistic yet layered approach of scratchy guitars, keyboards, and Grishnackh's (Vikernes') own tremendously agonizing raspy shrieking vocals contribute to create an immense feeling of depressive grandeur. The Songs Det som en gang var, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Inn i alottet fra drommen, and Tomhet respectively translate to All that once was, If the light takes us, Into the Castle from the Dream, and Emptiness.

The album spans a great variety of the sounds that Grishnackh was capable of. For example Det som en gang var, perhaps the best known from the album, and is one of the best Black Metal songs ever created. It expresses sorrow in loss of all which once was and how it is gone forever. This is expressed through his command of his guitars, organ and drums. Conversely, on the other hand, he is able to express much tragedy and depression through a very simplistic 14 minute long keyboard piece, Tomhet. Ultimately, it is Grishnackh's great ability to deliver an agressive emotional piece of art that makes this the finest album I've ever listened to.

NicodemiX said:
To everyone, there is one album out there... that is to you, the one best album there is in the world. If so, what is it and explain your REASON why, or if you feel ambitious, a mini review. Simply saying "because it rules" isn't good enough here. Also, I'm not asking for flame wars, just intelligent music discussion. Thank You.

For me, to the current extent of my musical knowledge, I would like to cite Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss as my favorite piece of music ever. Every moment of the album is full of tremendous emotion. The 4 songs on the album are epic and beautiful in their simplistic yet layered approach of scratchy guitars, keyboards, and Grishnackh's (Vikernes') own tremendously agonizing raspy shrieking vocals contribute to create an immense feeling of depressive grandeur. The Songs Det som en gang var, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Inn i alottet fra drommen, and Tomhet respectively translate to All that once was, If the light takes us, Into the Castle from the Dream, and Emptiness.

The album spans a great variety of the sounds that Grishnackh was capable of. For example Det som en gang var, perhaps the best known from the album, and is one of the best Black Metal songs ever created. It expresses sorrow in loss of all which once was and how it is gone forever. This is expressed through his command of his guitars, organ and drums. Conversely, on the other hand, he is able to express much tragedy and depression through a very simplistic 14 minute long keyboard piece, Tomhet. Ultimately, it is Grishnackh's great ability to deliver an agressive emotional piece of art that makes this the finest album I've ever listened to.
love ya matty

:worship:

I dont know....this is a hard question..there are alot of records out there that rule over the lesser record masses...ill have to get back to you on that

what if i have more than one album? :D

so many albums have influenced me over the years, thats its really hard to point at "just one" it'd be so unfair.
i llisten to so many styles of music, and so many different kinds of Metal alone, that i can name only "few" that really influenced me and that i feel "close" with
one of those albums that if i want to be alone, and think, or just to be by myself (we all have those days) those will probably be in the background...

Anathema - Judgment / Alternative 4
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Sadus - a Vision of Misery
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Radiohead - OK computer

wow nico - this question is so hard- i have 10 other albums that i'd love to write here...
but i wont :)

Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait. sadly I seem to fail in any attempt at explaining why exactly. It's not flawless, but it's the best i've heard uptil now.

I have multiple ones.

Matthew Good Band - Beautiful Midnight
Sloan - Navy Blues
Ashley MacIsaac - Hi(tm) How Are You Today?

They've all been a favorite for years and years, I've never gotten tired of it.

Strapping Young Lad - City
The perfect music to listen to while pissed off, or depressed, or happy, or whatever. Absolutley headbangable.

84n44n said:
no it's not. It's the best EVARrrRRrrr!!!11one
:tickled: hmm...hard to choose the best album evah....actually i'd probably go with hendrix's "Are You Experienced?"...don't give me those funny looks! its a great album. an important album in the history of rock or metal influenced many people over time... including me..heh

Emperor - Prometheus.
It OWNS you.
Musical perfection throughout. Not a song too long, everything in perfect timing. Works in any mood.

For fucks sake, I blew up a car to this, how can you not love it?

Dead_Lioness said:
Sadus - a Vision of Misery

...That's exactly why I'm marrying you Karen :kickass:

Mine would be (in no particular order):
Kreator - Violent Revolution
Invocator - Excursion Demise
Sadus - A Vision of Misery
Overkill - Years of Decay
Exodus - Tempo of the Damned

Those albums both rule and own...

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh uuuuuuuuuuuuh

at the moment i would say Vehemence's God Was Created.... but thats just now.... to me that album is perfect..... Hellah brutal vocals, uber melodic music, acoustics, double bass up the wazoo.... and a story line that is actually pretty damn interesting once you take the time to read the lyrics and think about them, its not just "I rape you and hate jesus" music