Only Metal?

Neurotic said:
yeh obvious in a metal board lol cuz thats far from true.

i do agree that metal has a lot of freadom, you can throw in there whatever you want, if it has distorted guitars, agression or whatever it becomes metal.

but on the other side, imo the source of the influences , the bands of other styles that metal takes elements are most of the time better.

for instance, prog metal, you got the obvious dream theater, 70's prog rock bands which they ripp off constantly, are way better( this aplies to most prog metal i've heard).

symphonic metal, well dont even need to compare classical to metal...

what i would like to hear is metal with a different structure, not so dependent of the riff (now you all say metal is about the riff), but metal compositions that flow perfectly, not depended of chorus/verse , etc.. structure, music that progresses naturaly and doesnt sound sound like a bunch of riffs alligned in a pre-conceaved manner.

maybe theres metal bands like these, i just haven't listen to them yet.

The metal is better than everything else comment was a joke. I can't tell if you got it or not... :p

I am listening to Metal most of the time but i have grown very interrested in classical music (Beethoven's fifth and sixth on a cd of mine have grown one of my favorite "albums"), ambient, noise (though here it mostly stays "interrest" - i don't get much out of it though i am somehow intrigued and attracted), and singular albums of Rock bands (so far Marillion and Pink Floyd).

In general I think Metalheads are a group of people who get most fixed on their "main-genre"...
That was also the case with me for a long time and i still have to say that i would never listen to anything that i don't consider artistic if it is not Metal (which i can also enjoy at least a bit if it is just party-music).

Heh if you listen to metal only, you´re narrow-minded as hell.
my list:
NINE INCH NAILS
Sympho BM(Emperor,Limbonic Art, Anorexia Nervosa, Dimmu Borgir i CoF).
Industrial/Electro-Metal(Mortiis,Dominion III, Diablerie, Dimension F3H, Aborym, And Oceans....)
Avantgarde(Arcturus, Peccatum, Ensomph...)
Black Metal(Immortal, Mayhem...)
EBM (Skinny Puppy, Hocico, Front Line Assembly)
Progressive(Opeth....)
Rock(Tool, RATM, Soundgarden, Autolux, Placebo, Deftones, Audioslave,NIRVANA,The Smashing Pumkins, The Mars Volta, Jimi Hendrix....)
Death Metal(Nile, In Flames, Hypocrisy...)
Breakbeat, Tekkno, Tribal, Dance a Electro(The Prodigy, UNDERWORLD, DjTiesto, Paul Oakenfold...)
(Apocalyptica, Antonín Dvorak...)
BRITNEY SPEARS!

i listen to such obscure shit that is only available in extremely limited quantities on forced exposure or exlipse records, or perfect sound forever, i'm like exponentially cooler than you for just knowing it exists :cool:

Fredy_Brown said:
my list:
NINE INCH NAILS
Industrial/Electro-Metal(Mortiis,Dominion III, Diablerie, Dimension F3H, Aborym, And Oceans....)
Progressive(Opeth....)
Rock(Tool, RATM, Soundgarden, Autolux, Placebo, Deftones, Audioslave,NIRVANA,The Smashing Pumkins, The Mars Volta, Jimi Hendrix....)
Breakbeat, Tekkno, Tribal, Dance a Electro(The Prodigy, UNDERWORLD, DjTiesto, Paul Oakenfold...)
BRITNEY SPEARS!

Elipses are bad for you health.

I like metal the most because i'm an alternative rebel going against the grain since a young lad!!!. I remembering being 12 knowing this is it. METTUULLLL MELTDOWN

I WON'T COMFORM TO YOUR NORMS, FUCKS.

Is listening to metal make us narrow minded? No. Metal is so diverse and mix with so many genres that, on the opposite, we're opening ourselves to a lot of new music styles.

AsModEe said:
Is listening to metal make us narrow minded? No. Metal is so diverse and mix with so many genres that, on the opposite, we're opening ourselves to a lot of new music styles.
it does open yourself to other styles of music if you have interest in doing that, i know a lot of metalheads and most of them dont listen to anything other than metal, and they enjoy folk,prog,all those kinds of mixed metal genres....

well, that is a start. If you don't like pur folk or rock-prog because it doesn't fit your taste, why would you listen to it? I won't listen to music I don't like so people don't see me as close minded. And to be honest, I think people who only listen to radio music are even more narrow-minded than those who listen only to metal.

Fredy_Brown said:
my list:
NINE INCH NAILS
Progressive(Opeth....)
BRITNEY SPEARS!

Hmmm... I'm curious--- Why do Britney Spears and the Nine Inch Nails contain their own genres in your list? Is Britney just that unique?

AsModEe said:
well, that is a start. If you don't like pur folk or rock-prog because it doesn't fit your taste, why would you listen to it? I won't listen to music I don't like so people don't see me as close minded. And to be honest, I think people who only listen to radio music are even more narrow-minded than those who listen only to metal.

Theres alot of good folk music out there. I didnt really get into untill a couple of years ago. Any one like funk?

Vital Remains said:
Theres alot of good folk music out there. I didnt really get into untill a couple of years ago. Any one like funk?

Actually from someone who has been in a folk band and played folk music I feel like I should let you in on a little secret...

On second thought, nevermind. You go have your fun.

Neurotic said:
it does open yourself to other styles of music if you have interest in doing that, i know a lot of metalheads and most of them dont listen to anything other than metal, and they enjoy folk,prog,all those kinds of mixed metal genres....
of course, you should only listen to what you like.
but its a bit strange if someone like folk metal and doesn not like folk, its like it has to have distorted guitars to be music lol anyway to each their own...

Metal is the music that has the most passion, energy and intensity. I love it, aswell as some classical and heavy rock which to quote Blackie Lawless (from WASP) "really hits the spot!"
It's shocking that anyone could also like jazz and hiphop. Incomprehensible.