Openers for 2013: who would you like to see?

all the bands I put on there are all local or around a drivable distance. Fact is that there isnt many good local acts. Most of the locals are bad death and black metal bands or very dorky thrash bands. These were the best from the area.

Fact is that there isnt many good local acts.

haters-gonna-hate-2.jpg

I like what I have heard from ASHBURY.
I dig the booking.

My point was that they fit because of being a "classic" band.
They aren't booked because they are a currently hip band with a new release to promote.
That too though is always a good choice for a festival as well.

I don't know where we got this "classic"/traditional reputation. Just look at the history. It has been a total mix of "classic"- no releases in 20+ years, consistent (or at least semi-consistent) releases, relatively new band, and completely new with no releases. 2013 is just the same way except with more sub-genres represented.

well certain folks are babies and saying they are too heavy.....but Morbid Saint sounds pretty much the same...oh yeah....they are a "classic band" so it is OK.

This must be directed at me. I'm sorry but I can't get into it. I listened to Nunslaughter after is took the top of the list on the poll and all three songs I listened too sounded exactly the same. Maybe if we had more time/more days, and could get 2 or 3, but just one would be totally out of place, 2 or 3 would take up too many spots. Maybe if we had an option for a 2nd stage that was big enough for a national band....but we don't.

I don't know where we got this "classic"/traditional reputation. Just look at the history. It has been a total mix of "classic"- no releases in 20+ years, consistent (or at least semi-consistent) releases, relatively new band, and completely new with no releases. 2013 is just the same way except with more sub-genres represented.

Well, look at the headliner / co-headliner each night......

Year #1 : Obsesssion / Skullview, Cage / Helstar
Year #2 : Virgin Steele / Pharaoh, Wizard / Brocas Helm

Sure, there has been a mix of other styles, which is great, but I think if you were to ask the random fan on the street how they viewed this fest, they would say it leans towards classic / trad metal (which isn't a bad thing).

This must be directed at me. I'm sorry but I can't get into it. I listened to Nunslaughter after is took the top of the list on the poll and all three songs I listened too sounded exactly the same. Maybe if we had more time/more days, and could get 2 or 3, but just one would be totally out of place, 2 or 3 would take up too many spots. Maybe if we had an option for a 2nd stage that was big enough for a national band....but we don't.

nope..not aimed at you. Just know how they draw and want to see this fest do good this year.

Sure, there has been a mix of other styles, which is great, but I think if you were to ask the random fan on the street how they viewed this fest, they would say it leans towards classic / trad metal (which isn't a bad thing).

Exactly. I view it as a traditonal metal fest because look who has played and specifically headlined

I agree completly. But if that is the case. 100 people should be the goal then. Anyone will say....a pure traditional fest doesnt draw well in the states....you have to add some flavor to it. This meaning by booking bands who sometimes fall out of the usual traditional genre. Sure booking Obituary isnt going to work but there is that undreground "Hells Headbangers" type stuff that draws well. MDF and Rites of Darkness book a lot of those bands. More and more bands are on that label. Why not tap into that to help. It isnt like most of us dont listen to more than one genre.

Ok, I am probably the biggest DM fan on this board, and I do like Nunslaughter, but the Ragnarokkr dude is right. They are very same-y. And I'm not really sure why they would be remotely considered an opener either.

MDF and Rites of Darkness book a lot of those bands. More and more bands are on that label. Why not tap into that to help. It isnt like most of us dont listen to more than one genre.

That would work for locals but it wouldn't help for out-of-towners, especially being so close to MDF. Anyone who would be drawn by only those bands and fly in would just look at the Ragnarokkr lineup, see two death/black bands, and then look at the MDF lineup and see 4 days worth. Pretty easy decision as a fan.

Plus let's assume a NWN band is booked....how many locals are going to pay the $25-$30 to see the one band play for under an hour? Not many, if any, especially now that Chicago has its own fest for that kind of stuff (Cathedral of the Black Goat fest).

That would work for locals but it wouldn't help for out-of-towners, especially being so close to MDF. Anyone who would be drawn by only those bands and fly in would just look at the Ragnarokkr lineup, see two death/black bands, and then look at the MDF lineup and see 4 days worth. Pretty easy decision as a fan.

EXACTLY!!! I made this very same point to someone a few days ago

Good!!!! I am all for NO death or black metal.
That's not a slam to the genres. There's just already enough of it in Chicago as it is, and enough fests that cater to it.

We need to book more bands so we can all do this in the pit!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

HMMM. I look at this and don't see the same thing. Maybe I'm confused by the mostly subjective sub-genres but if someone asked me (and I didn't know anything about the fest) I'd say, if anything, it leans toward power metal.....not traditional. Also, I don't understand the use of the word classic. Unless you mean it is of timeless quality or a standard/model, and not age. It doesn't matter. I think you're reaching because you have some need to classify this. Then that is used for arguments about if a band "fits" (which there are way too many of). There is no fit. This was meant to be a diverse METAL fest. It is just a hard thing to do when it HAS to start late and end early. Yes, maybe I'm particular to a few sub-genres and they more represented than others, but I ask bands and some play. It is purely coincidental. A lot of the bands I've asked for a headliner are thrash, but none of them ever agree to come. Don't be confused by the headliners. I beg 20 bands to come and 4 agree. Those 4 are the headliners (or less and Pharaoh gets to be one).

Back to sub-genres. Take you, me, and Bob as examples. (Don't argue with this. I'm not in your houses looking at your CD collections. It's merely a generalization to make a point) So, we all like our particular sub-genres, but then there are ones that one of us like that the others don't. Jason, you seem to like doom a lot. Bob likes these death metal bands. I like catchy power metal jams. We all dig traditional metal, along with the core fan base already built, and all the bands like it too (this helps with cost). Because of it's general appeal, it gets represented well. I blow everything I make all year on this so you can expect plenty of what Bob calls "generic" power metal. All the other types can't be ignored, and they won't be. If no one has noticed by my comments, I like diversity....one of the most important factors in my mind. That's how I try to book and that's how I try to arrange the order. I'm not trying to build an exclusive cult festival. That was never the intention and never will be. There is no "fit"

On a side note...I've been laughing at this thing the whole time: :bah:
That is me 90% of the time.

I was wondering how long it was going to take for you to make this recommendation. These guys are good.

There are barely any bands I like that were formed in the past five years, and Noble Beast is one of them. I think they'd be perfect for the fest. They even have a song about Ragnarok:

Last edited by a moderator: