Openers for 2013: who would you like to see?

Being a Chicago based festival, I would like to see the opening slot go to a local band each night:
WINTERHAWK
SUPERCHRIST
ZUUL
BIBLE OF THE DEVIL
RAVENSTHORNE
RIVAL
SEPTER

(For the record, I am not necessarily a fan of all the above bands, just threw some out that came to mind)

my picks....

Wolfbait from Detroit...they put on a fun live show and have some good catchy songs plus the singer looks a tad like Mike (Odin)

Unity...up in coming band from Iowa. Just put out a full length....Steel and Fire Records are selling it.

Ravensthorne....local Chicago band who seem never to get a good break

Lorenguard from Indiana....

Lurking Corpses....lots of catchy songs and a lot of fun live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Septer isnt together anymore Jason, geez learn someting about the scene ;)

No surprise given how many shows JUDAS BEAST play each month.
I never really considered SEPTER a "scene" band anyways.
More of a "Wow, they are still together" band whenever you see they are playing a gig!

The problem is there really is no true scene. It's completely divided.

This festival could help bring that back, which is why I think it would be cool to see the opening slot go to a Chicago band.

I can't believe Bob isn't pushing BONES in this thread! :)

well certain folks are babies and saying they are too heavy.....but Morbid Saint sounds pretty much the same...oh yeah....they are a "classic band" so it is OK.

I wouldn't have a problem with an opening slot going to BONES.

Morbid Saint sound more "Euro thrash" than anything.

But to your point, I do agree that bands will get a slide simply for being "classic" Isn't that part of the mission statement though?

I thought that was obvious with the ASHBURY booking.

But to your point, I do agree that bands will get a slide simply for being "classic" Isn't that part of the mission statement though?

if that is the case....mike should book a "classic" death metal band to headline because that would draw then. People couldnt complain because it was "classic". right?

Honestly though, openers really should come from the local scene. It keeps costs down and can potentially draw in more local attendees. There are certainly enough good bands in that area to choose from.

You guys kill me with this shit :puke:. How about I just tell you the reason each band is on there and you can get back to the point
Morbid Saint: they asked to come and I couldn't argue with the price
Ashbury: I like them. Plain and simple. No other reason.

I like what I have heard from ASHBURY.
I dig the booking.

My point was that they fit because of being a "classic" band.
They aren't booked because they are a currently hip band with a new release to promote.
That too though is always a good choice for a festival as well.

if that is the case....mike should book a "classic" death metal band to headline because that would draw then. People couldnt complain because it was "classic". right?

My only complaint is that you can see death metal in the midwest or anywhere else in America any night of the week.

Sure, there are many great DM bands I suppose which would appeal to lots of folks.

I think the biggest issue here (Well, it's not really an issue, just a discussion point between all of us, which is what the forum is for), is that we all have our own opinions of what the mission statement band wise is for the fest.