Openers for 2013: who would you like to see?

just so you all know....I am not even a fan of Nunslaughter....I used them as an example. I saw them, Acid Witch and Bones last summer to a packed Beat Kitchen. Even though these bands play death / black metal they have a very "cult" status and have touches of classic / traditional metal in thier music. It is funny....everyone is going crazy and applauding MDF for adding some doom bands....but you even suggest adding something a tad heavier and faster to Ragnarokkr all hell breaks loose.

The reason I suggested this is that these bands are cheap and draw. It isnt like Mike's pockets are full of money. The idea was to still get cultish bands who draw to play and bring in fans of that stuff along with the 80 people who are into the traditional / classic / power metal stuff. The goal is to get the place packed.....if there isnt a huge name headliner it isnt going to be that so the next best thing is to get a variety of bands to play bringing in people from all over.

The difference is that MDF has the money and resources to do just fine even without doom/heavy bands but they're adding em anyway....

With Ragnarokkr, like you said, pockets aren't full of money. So when you're looking to draw outside your core fanbase (that being heavy/trad/power) you wanna make sure ever $$ counts. A underground death/black band that would draw locals to pay the door price for one band only and/or draw out-of-towners to fly in for one band only three weeks before MDF would have to be a very rare appearance and probably equal to or more than the headliner's budget. It would definitely be cool to see a band like Behexen but all things considered, RMA isn't the fest for them.

you have to remember....Chicago is a huge black / death metal city. This is nt about bringing in the MDF crowd. There are enough locals into this stuff to help bring them in. That being said....just because someone is a fan of the heavier stuff doesnt mean they are not fans of the power / classic stuff as well. Two bands of this stuff could help bring a bunch of locals who may not be that interested in coming now interested.....

perfect example....Jason has an interest in MDF. Why? really 3 bands....Pagan Alter, Pentagram and Manilla Raod. All 3 bands have really no reason to be at MDF. But hey, they are expanding thier show. Sure they have more slots and more stages but you say this isnt the same but it is.

I am not talking about adding pure black metal or death. Stuff that has a merge with classic / traditional styles.

you have to remember....Chicago is a huge black / death metal city. This is nt about bringing in the MDF crowd. There are enough locals into this stuff to help bring them in. That being said....just because someone is a fan of the heavier stuff doesnt mean they are not fans of the power / classic stuff as well. Two bands of this stuff could help bring a bunch of locals who may not be that interested in coming now interested.....

perfect example....Jason has an interest in MDF. Why? really 3 bands....Pagan Alter, Pentagram and Manilla Raod. All 3 bands have really no reason to be at MDF. But hey, they are expanding thier show. Sure they have more slots and more stages but you say this isnt the same but it is.

I am not talking about adding pure black metal or death. Stuff that has a merge with classic / traditional styles.

Right but if they're fans of the power/classic stuff, they wouldn't need a heavier band to bring them in. If you're talking a band just to diversify the lineup for existing attendees then yeah, I agree with you, but if you're looking for a heavier band to bring in potential new guys who wouldn't otherwise go, you've gotta make the deal really really sweet to make someone pay a good bit of cash to watch one opening band.

perfect example....Jason has an interest in MDF. Why? really 3 bands....Pagan Alter, Pentagram and Manilla Raod. All 3 bands have really no reason to be at MDF. But hey, they are expanding thier show.

Yes but they are expanding the show with bands that draw and draw big.
These are big budget bands. There is a difference. Anyhow as I said above I am all for diversity if it's a band that would generate interest. Morbid Saint is a great pick since there is buzz around them again and I do believe people may come just for them.

Yes but they are expanding the show with bands that draw and draw big.
These are big budget bands. There is a difference. Anyhow as I said above I am all for diversity if it's a band that would generate interest. Morbid Saint is a great pick since there is buzz around them again and I do believe people may come just for them.

Morbid Saint are playing a lot of shows though too. Also around the fest as well.

So, I'm Sir Robert from Noble Beast and I was told someone was plugging my band on this forum. That's awesome! I didn't even know we had fans in the Chicago area. We'd love to play here sometime.

I would also like to call attention to a sweet-ass Madison band called Lords of the Trident. They're full of energy and charisma, and would be great to play a show like this. http://www.facebook.com/lordsofthetrident

So, I'm Sir Robert from Noble Beast and I was told someone was plugging my band on this forum. That's awesome! I didn't even know we had fans in the Chicago area. We'd love to play here sometime.

I would also like to call attention to a sweet-ass Madison band called Lords of the Trident. They're full of energy and charisma, and would be great to play a show like this. http://www.facebook.com/lordsofthetrident

Lords of the Trident would be a fun addition for sure.

Hail, Sir Robert! Is the Noble Beast album going to be released soon? I hardly ever buy new albums but I've been anxiously awaiting this one.