Opeth Announcement: Opeth Live Videos For You All!

Originally posted by Oyo
If you set the transfer limit higher, then people would finish faster and another spot in line would openup faster, is that right or am I not making sense? Just a suggestion :p

If bandwidth were free, believe me, I'd raise the rate limit per connection. The problem here is that this site is currently sustaining just under 2Mbit/s. There's no doubt that people will hammer it for quite some time, and it's preferable to stick to the 2Mbit/s rather than the 8Mbit/s when it initially opened. (I didn't expect so many broadband users to jump right on it. Silly me.) If anything, I'd like to keep a relatively high number of open slots with a 1(or 2) slot-per-host limit. yes, it'd take a while per person, but it'd allow a fair amount of people to background some transfers while at school, asleep, etc.

(If you're on a timed connection, I'd /really/ suggest CD-R trades instead.)

While this machine has decent connectivity to the rest of the Net through various transit providers, I need to make sure that this site doesn't put any one of those upstreams at their saturation points.

If traffic ever seems to die down, I may try to tweak the configs to guarantee at least 8KB/s per transfer with possibility to burst up to a total of 2.5Mbit/s across all existing transfers. (ie: if only 4 people are downloading, they'd be able to burst at ~80KB/s)

Not to sound like a prick or anything (these videos sound like they're great and I'm sure a lot of effort was put into the setup) but why are the videos so big? MPG format? If you convert/ compress them into a DivX AVI file I'm sure you can get them down to at least a third the size (the utils for doing this are free on the web I'm sure).

As you can probably guess I've only got a crappy 56k connection, but I'm sure this would be helpful to broadband users too. It's just a suggestion - like I said, not trying to hang shit on the videos, they sound awesome -, so keep up the good work.

And Telstra, bring out some fucking affordable broadband in my area... bunch of wankers. :mad:

If there any Australians interested in the Culture Room concert, I downloaded that the other day, and its pretty good.

Email me and I'm sure we can come to an arrangement (kommandantklink@hotmail.com).

WOW!! great! :D
cant wait to get it.. just to bad i only have ISDN :bah:

but luckily i have a friend that are on a 100Mbit line! :D

and I can ask him to put it on his public FTP, even I get fast speed there :)

Originally posted by TravestyOfMan
Not to sound like a prick or anything (these videos sound like they're great and I'm sure a lot of effort was put into the setup) but why are the videos so big? MPG format? If you convert/ compress them into a DivX AVI file I'm sure you can get them down to at least a third the size (the utils for doing this are free on the web I'm sure).

Because some people might want to make for example VCD's (or perhaps DVD's) out of them. If they are in MPEG, I am telling you... it is way better.

Originally posted by cyanopsis

Because some people might want to make for example VCD's (or perhaps DVD's) out of them. If they are in MPEG, I am telling you... it is way better.

I make VCD's out of AVI files all the time, and I just use demo/sharewae/freeware programs. If they're DivX, you can simply convert them to MPG. The VCD burning program I use (which I download a demo of for free) does this automatically, but there are also freeware utils available to do this. DivX AVI's would be much easier for people to download, I am telling you... it is way better. ;)

Originally posted by TravestyOfMan

I make VCD's out of AVI files all the time, and I just use demo/sharewae/freeware programs. If they're DivX, you can simply convert them to MPG. The VCD burning program I use (which I download a demo of for free) does this automatically, but there are also freeware utils available to do this. DivX AVI's would be much easier for people to download, I am telling you... it is way better. ;)

how about this no

you lose some quality when you convert from avi to mpeg.

so i say no!!!

:lol:

Originally posted by dubloth

you lose some quality when you convert from avi to mpeg.

so i say no!!!

:lol:

True, but it's pretty minimal, and I'm sure most people would give up a slight loss in video quality in order to have a smaller download. I mean, it's a bootleg anyway, not like it's cinema quality to begin with (no offense intended).

my main objective was to not lose

audio quality first

video quality second

and i accomplished this, avi to mpeg would not accomplish this.... there are other ways to get it than d/l with a dialup.

ok, this discussion isn't supposed to be at all. you can't make everyone happy. the idea was to digitize these as close to the original as possible, i.e. DivX is not an option. as stated on various places, if you have problems getting the files, we have been kind enough to offer a collection of CDRs.

well cyanopsis
thanx a lot for those live recordings. You may say I'm never satisfied but do you have the paris show ? I recently got the katatonia gig and I am nearly sure that someone recorded opeth too. So you know a place where I can download it ??
My Icq 123839410, by the way don't take it bad, it's just that when it comes to opeth I always want more !!!:)

Originally posted by fragarch
well cyanopsis
You may say I'm never satisfied but do you have the paris show ?

Not sure if you were looking for video, but cyan recently supplied a Paris show (audio: 122M):

Opeth-20011113-Live_at_La_Locomotive-paris.fr

If that's the one you're looking for, just head to the index and follow the applicable link. :)

cyanopsis, and all the other people making these vids
and audiofiles available; THANK YOU!!!! :eek:)))

I've spent a week now downloading, and I'm still not
done, but is SO DEFINITELY worth it!!! :eek:) It's almost
like seeing Opeth live again, all the memories are
coming back :eek:))) I'll probably spend a week listening
through all the audiofiles, then the rest of my life
loving them! >:eek:)

Anyways, a big THANK YOU! Great work! :eek:)