Opeth Breakout

affinityband said:
I Would say My Arms Your Hearse, thats what set them up for the rest of discography to be honest. But obviously not in the confidence terms.

Yep. MA,YH set it up, and then Still Life sealed the deal. Then they have just added to their sound with each new album trying different things.

I think Blackwater Park is the most confident, and possibly Ghost Reveries. I think they knew exactly what they were doing for both of those albums, and its really shows in the music, probably 2 of the least muddled up Opeth albums in my opinion.

vampyrouss said:
Yep. MA,YH set it up, and then Still Life sealed the deal. Then they have just added to their sound with each new album trying different things.

I think Blackwater Park is the most confident, and possibly Ghost Reveries. I think they knew exactly what they were doing for both of those albums, and its really shows in the music, probably 2 of the least muddled up Opeth albums in my opinion.

I think Damnation sealed it for me. It proved what great musicians they really are. I am not sure a metal band out there could make an album with such an impact as that one did.

P.S. Liked the Vampyrous music and video, much different that I expected. It is nice to get something you don't expect once in a while.

MixGrafix said:
I think Damnation sealed it for me. It proved what great musicians they really are. I am not sure a metal band out there could make an album with such an impact as that one did.

for the love of god...

I would say MAYH because that (I feel) is quintessentially Opeth and you can hear both where they were and where they would be going on that album.

As far as them 'breaking out' it was BWP that did it. The first album they had a major tour with and started getting a really big following.

hibernal_dream said:
Huh? You saying Morningrise has no confidence?

Compared to the newer material? It has way less, that's blatantly obvious. Morningrise, as well as Orchid is just a collection of meandering riffs, that while sounding cool in a retro sense, have nothing on the songwriting that Opeth have developed over the years.

Really if you take a step back and look at their entire career, it really seems like that era was like 'alright, we have these cool melodies and acoustic ditties and shit... let's just throw em all at the wall and see what sticks'. Whilst that era is cool for most fans in a nostalgic sense, it in all seriousness doesn't hold a candle to what Opeth did afterwards (starting with MAYH).

So to answer the original question, yes it was MAYH. It was when a major turnaround happened and the Opeth as we know it was born.

They progressively got more confident. MAYH had the balls to take Opeth in an entirely new direction, whilst Still Life was just full of ego, and why I still see it as a modern metal masterpiece. Still Life had the balls to try arrangement and parts in a way that was completely alien. At that time I believe Mike had nothing to lose, as he was living on a couch in a friend's apartment, and those drastic circumstances usually incite the most creative of thought processes.

BWP, the band labelled as an 'experiment' yet I almost saw it as them acclimatizing to their environment. They found a sound with Still Life and they went with it and created something a bit more solid. Whilst it may not be as 'out there' as Still Life was, it still managed to hold its own and cement the band's newfound sound.