Opeth covering Slayer in a dream

Haha, ok I guess I dont get it. I would like to understand what the fuck your talking about, but Im having alot of trouble grasping your logic. I dont see how theres any other way to interpret the lyrics. To say most of Slayers fans misinterpret them because their dumb is not a valid point. I could post an excerpt out of every single one of thier songs and in almost all of them you have to go really really deep to find any meaning besides a hatred for god, or people, or life in general. Opeth is one of the very few death metal bands that I like because even though thier lyrics have to do with some sinister topics, they convey it in a way that is artistic and sophisticated. Thier lyrics are more like poetry than something an angry teenager would write when they want to fight someone. The lyrics have never been the main appeal for me with Opeth anyway.

To hibernal-dream: At least Ive made a point, the only thing youve done is stated that you think Im wrong without any evidence to support why you think so. The excerpt you posted just proves how oblivious Hanneman is. It would be like a rapper wearing pants down to his knees with a grill and a sideways hat writing songs that condone smoking crack, selling drugs, killing cops, raping woman, robbing stores, shooting rival gang members, etc getting upset that people think hes a thug. If you talk, walk, act, or write songs about being a thug your most likely a thug. If you talk, walk, act, or write songs that ooze with hatred chances are your most likely a hateful person. The fact that you believe that Slayer is writing their songs about buthchering christians to inform people about hatred is whats stupid. Its not like their trying to benifit society in any way at all and are activly speaking out to gain peace and understanding. They entertain with their music those who find it enjoyable. Thats it.

According to your logic, Scott Stapp(the guy from Creed, a huge douche),*N Sync and Lionel Ritchie are the greatest human beings ever. What you seem to have forgotten is that a lot of people who create or listen to ''romantic music full of peace and understanding'' can be complete assholes, murderers, etc. Criticizing christianity with a tough, vulgar language is something that Slayer feels comfortable doing, they don't really want to change what's wrong with the world and i'm not so thick to the point of thinking that they want to reach such goal with their lyrics...as far as i know, mankind is full of hatred, hipocrisy, dumbass christians, serial killers, and the band just decided to cover those topics. So, what if they condemn religion? aren't they bringing the responsability to themselves? music without freedom of speech would be such a bore, y'know? people talking about sunfloweers and love when they AREN'T in love, people pretending to be good fathers when they AREN'T good fathers in real life, etc.
In The Leper Affinity Mike sings: ''your body is mine to avail, such a tragic sight you are slave under my creed'', Mike said once in an interview that he is disgusted by mankind...pretty hateful isn't it? as you see, being ''poetic'' just doesn't make any difference in the end, he was just being honest and expressing his feelings on that song, and the same goes for the guys in Slayer, they aren't raping, they aren't brainwashing anyone, they are just making music. You really need to get a clue.

To hibernal-dream: At least Ive made a point, the only thing youve done is stated that you think Im wrong without any evidence to support why you think so. The excerpt you posted just proves how oblivious Hanneman is. It would be like a rapper wearing pants down to his knees with a grill and a sideways hat writing songs that condone smoking crack, selling drugs, killing cops, raping woman, robbing stores, shooting rival gang members, etc getting upset that people think hes a thug. If you talk, walk, act, or write songs about being a thug your most likely a thug. If you talk, walk, act, or write songs that ooze with hatred chances are your most likely a hateful person. The fact that you believe that Slayer is writing their songs about buthchering christians to inform people about hatred is whats stupid. Its not like their trying to benifit society in any way at all and are activly speaking out to gain peace and understanding. They entertain with their music those who find it enjoyable. Thats it.

Of course it's important. You don't think we need to know why people like Dr Mengele and serial killers do these sorts of things? Slayer takes us through their experience to a point where we can question the role of morality divorced from our own illusion of reality. Death and cruelty exist i whether we like it or not, we can either ignore them and sing about pretty flowers and love or face them head on and see how they coexist with human-imposed purpose. To condemn Slayer is to reprobate writers like Poe, Nietzsche, Defoe, Dostoevsky and Satre who have approached a similar goal.

And by the way, Guilty of being White was written by Minor Threat, not Slayer.

According to your logic, Scott Stapp(the guy from Creed, a huge douche),*N Sync and Lionel Ritchie are the greatest human beings ever. What you seem to have forgotten is that a lot of people who create or listen to ''romantic music full of peace and understanding'' can be complete assholes, murderers, etc. Criticizing christianity with a tough, vulgar language is something that Slayer feels comfortable doing, they don't really want to change what's wrong with the world and i'm not so thick to the point of thinking that they want to reach such goal with their lyrics...as far as i know, mankind is full of hatred, hipocrisy, dumbass christians, serial killers, and the band just decided to cover those topics. So, what if they condemn religion? aren't they bringing the responsability to themselves? music without freedom of speech would be such a bore, y'know? people talking about sunfloweers and love when they AREN'T in love, people pretending to be good fathers when they AREN'T good fathers in real life, etc.
In The Leper Affinity Mike sings: ''your body is mine to avail, such a tragic sight you are slave under my creed'', Mike said once in an interview that he is disgusted by mankind...pretty hateful isn't it? as you see, being ''poetic'' just doesn't make any difference in the end, he was just being honest and expressing his feelings on that song, and the same goes for the guys in Slayer, they aren't raping, they aren't brainwashing anyone, they are just making music. You really need to get a clue.

Dont fucking tell me I need to get a clue just because I disagree with your point of view. Im actually going to the trouble to explain why I think the way I do instead of writing something trivial like Slayer sucks. The music that an artist makes is an extension of oneself. They share through the medium of music their thoughts, values, beliefs, ideas, views, etc. and if they dont want people to think of them badly or "misinterpret" their lyrics like Im being accused of then they shouldnt go to the effort of writing something so obviously hateful. Most people wont go past the surface to decipher lyrics like these and will take them at face value:

I'm suicidal, maniacal, self-destructive
You leave me no hope, no life
Nothing worth living for
I've taken it, can't take it anymore
My worst nightmare
You make me want to slit my own fucking throat
Just so I'll be rid of you
Just to get rid of you

You self-righteous fuck
Give me a reason not to rip your fucking face off
Why don't you take a good look in these eyes
Cause I'm the one that's gonna tear your fucking heart
out
My hate is contagious; you've got no one to run to
EXILE

Just tell me fucking why everything becomes an issue
Your opinion is always senseless - fuck this
You make my fucking skin crawl
I've lived with it - can't stand anymore
My worst nightmare
I want to take a bullet in the fucking head
Every time I think of you, every time I think of you

You self-righteous fuck
out
My hate is contagious
Anyone else need to vent?
You've tried my tolerance; I just want you to die

Not everyone is as knowlegable of Slayer as you guys seem to be and if they hear lyrics like these they are going to think they are extreme and if they arnt turned on by extreme music their not going to enjoy it. If my boss or mother heard these lyrics they would automatically assume these are angry people, they dont need any facts about their personal life. Not everyone who writes love songs is worth loving either but their not giving off the impression that theyd kick your ass if you looked at them the wrong way. Im not saying that what Slayer does is wrong, people enjoy listening to their music and if hearing about people being slottered and the helplessness of man makes them happy than to each his/her own. Your right I would be bored out of my mind if everything was all happy happy joy joy, but if Slayer expects to not be judged by people for what they write about than they dont understand the way humans think. Even Opeth is judged by the mass media as being Satanic and evil. We all know thats not true but people will judge by what they think they know, not by the facts. Im giving you a reason why most people dont like the band, not saying that anyone who does promotes the things they write about.

If you don't like it then don't listen to it, like me. Don't think you need to be arguing about this because no ones gonna change their mind over it. I couldn't care less what they sing about, but when they ARE singing about this sorta thing, I don't think Araya should be claiming to be a christian.

Dont fucking tell me I need to get a clue just because I disagree with your point of view. Im actually going to the trouble to explain why I think the way I do instead of writing something trivial like Slayer sucks. The music that an artist makes is an extension of oneself. They share through the medium of music their thoughts, values, beliefs, ideas, views, etc. and if they dont want people to think of them badly or "misinterpret" their lyrics like Im being accused of then they shouldnt go to the effort of writing something so obviously hateful. Most people wont go past the surface to decipher lyrics like these and will take them at face value:

I'm suicidal, maniacal, self-destructive
You leave me no hope, no life
Nothing worth living for
I've taken it, can't take it anymore
My worst nightmare
You make me want to slit my own fucking throat
Just so I'll be rid of you
Just to get rid of you

You self-righteous fuck
out
My hate is contagious; you've got no one to run to
EXILE

Just tell me fucking why everything becomes an issue
Your opinion is always senseless - fuck this
You make my fucking skin crawl
I've lived with it - can't stand anymore
My worst nightmare
I want to take a bullet in the fucking head
Every time I think of you, every time I think of you

You self-righteous fuck
out
My hate is contagious
Anyone else need to vent?
You've tried my tolerance; I just want you to die

Not everyone is as knowlegable of Slayer as you guys seem to be and if they hear lyrics like these they are going to think they are extreme and if they arnt turned on by extreme music their not going to enjoy it. If my boss or mother heard these lyrics they would automatically assume these are angry people, they dont need any facts about their personal life. Not everyone who writes love songs is worth loving either but their not giving off the impression that theyd kick your ass if you looked at them the wrong way. Im not saying that what Slayer does is wrong, people enjoy listening to their music and if hearing about people being slottered and the helplessness of man makes them happy than to each his/her own. Your right I would be bored out of my mind if everything was all happy happy joy joy, but if Slayer expects to not be judged by people for what they write about than they dont understand the way humans think. Even Opeth is judged by the mass media as being Satanic and evil. We all know thats not true but people will judge by what they think they know, not by the facts. Im giving you a reason why most people dont like the band, not saying that anyone who does promotes the things they write about.

k your opinion is awesome, sorry if i hurt your feelings...or something. PEAC EOUT.

"Haha, thats the perfect example of the sterotypical teen angst that is associated with probably 98% of slayers fans. You dont like Slayer and you like metal so that means your automatically a fag. What kind of logic is that? Some people dont happen to think that playing the same E minor power chord riff 1000 miles an hour with a sloppy pentatonic solo"

I think you mean harmonic minor....