Opeth in studio 2007 -discussion

I´m always nervous when a opeth album is in production, this never happens with any other band, i always think maybe this time it really isn´t going to be good anymore.
But so far i´ve had wrong each time so lets hope so this time too.

Its going to be a opeth album.. Have we ever been disappointed by mike?
Come, like stated before, he might be fucking with us.. Just wait on some samples etc..

I hope he does somewhat smaller songs.. Not like Morningrise were the shortest song is 10.09 min :p
I actually liked what he did on GR, time wise..

Mike should do a double album! :D Atleast 10 songs ;)

Eh, the shorter songs work for the mellow songs but I think for the heavier music the longer the better. You ever watch the half length video for The Grand Conjuration? :ill:
Also really looking forward to see how the drumming changes, I know Axe is a really capable drummer listening to the live stuff but it should be interesting to see what he comes up with rather than playing Lopez's beats. Hope they don't lose the signature bass drum and ride latin groove. Boom Boom boomboomSnick Boom Boom. :)

If he was honest when he said Scott Walker's 'The Drift' is an influence.. Sounds like it might be working the atonal shit.

However.. 'Scott Walker Influence' could become the next 'bordering on black metal'.

Eh, the shorter songs work for the mellow songs but I think for the heavier music the longer the better. You ever watch the half length video for The Grand Conjuration? :ill:
Also really looking forward to see how the drumming changes, I know Axe is a really capable drummer listening to the live stuff but it should be interesting to see what he comes up with rather than playing Lopez's beats. Hope they don't lose the signature bass drum and ride latin groove. Boom Boom boomboomSnick Boom Boom. :)

Yeah, that sucks.. But that is because they cut the song in half.. If we don't know a song was longer when they first made it, we wouldn't give shit :p

But meh, as long as we get good music :cheers:

Add this to your Mikael quotes:

'The material I've written is more complex than ever and it's fun... I repeat FUN to play these songs!...Yet, for me I feel we're better, stronger, more progressive, darker, heavier, more musical, more complex, easier, cheekier... everything really... than ever before! I feel reborn in a way. I'm excited for the band and for the 5 of us. We'll have a blast playing these songs no matter if anyone listens to it. '

When he says 'we' i'm guessing he's referring to the songs....emphasis on fun! lol

Don't need his 'hints' to know that Opeth are going to produce yet another killer album though

If he was honest when he said Scott Walker's 'The Drift' is an influence.. Sounds like it might be working the atonal shit.

Mmmm, I bought Scott Walker's CD "Tilt" earlier this year, acknowledge the mans awesome voice but the music does little to entertain me. :(

Not heard "The Drift" as yet but I like OpethMike's take on arranging complex interludes and speed breaks, I just hope he doesn't take a too radical departure from his past glories. :kickass:

I will remain loyal whatever Opeth Potion No9 turns out to be, for me this awesome band perform miracles and don't even know it. :worship:

Do you?

ya scott walker is definitely a good example non-melodic music but very intense thick atmosphere. tilt is good.... but jesus...the drift is absolutely terrifying...its like being engulfed in scott walkers nightmares (or waking life?)

ya scott walker is definitely a good example non-melodic music but very intense thick atmosphere. tilt is good.... but jesus...the drift is absolutely terrifying...its like being engulfed in scott walkers nightmares (or waking life?)

^ Nice reply...ty :D

What is Scott W having daymares about? can you tell?

Too lazy this morning to search for or read The Drift's lyrics, sorry.

TIA. ;)

Just a thought.. Maybe this has been brought up here before, but i'm to thick to read all threads here.. But could it be that they're recording a studio-report (like the Lamentations one) and that that is the reason that the DVD will be released months after the Roundhouse Tapes CD album? I really hope so, definately liked the Lamentations one!

Just a thought.. Maybe this has been brought up here before, but i'm to thick to read all threads here.. But could it be that they're recording a studio-report (like the Lamentations one) and that that is the reason that the DVD will be released months after the Roundhouse Tapes CD album? I really hope so, definately liked the Lamentations one!

Many think that it is very possible that there will be a studio "documentation" since we've had one for D&D albums on Lamentations and for Ghost Reveries on the special edition of the album.

Ahhh the Opethian speculators...wonderful. :p

All I can really add to this topic is...

I have arrived at this point in Opeths career with the
understanding that the only thing you can expect from
these fine musicians is, "The Unexpected."

Bring it on guys. :loco:

:tickled:

I agree completely. The Drift is a very haunting and ugly album. The lack of melodies was an initial turn off, and I pondered what in the hell people actually saw in it. I read the lyrics to it, and it all came together. Scott paints horrifying pictures with his words. Something about this album made me come back to it repeatedly. It's like a carwreck on the side of the road. You know it's ugly, but you still slow down to watch.

"His enormous eyes, as he arrives. Coming near, in the surrounding darkness....." Ugh. Fuckin creepy part. :heh:

I hope mike experiment with vocal styles/feels. F.i comebining the sad feeling from SL with the apatic one in GR (This is esp the clean vocals IMO). More experiment w. growls like in DOTF and BTPISIO.

Musicwise it will be less melodic, more twisted this is evident as axe seem to be more of a hardhitter than Lopez (who played more with "feel"), this is not nescesarilly a bad thing though.

I'm pretty sure Mike will provide us with a brand new exciting peace of studio news on his myspace any time soon. Can someone remember how long did they record Ghost Reveries ?