Opeth Influenced by prog band Änglagård?

Heir Apparent

Feb 19, 2008
So recently I have been listening to this amazing early 90's Swedish prog rock band and have heard many Opethian moments in their music. I was wondering if anyone has heard of them being an influence on Mikael's song writing?

New to the board by the way, hello everyone!

Ps. here is a link to an mp3 of one of there songs.
http://www.anglagard.net/anglagard_-_sista_somrar.mp3

I like Anglagard but I've never thought they sounded much like Opeth, even momentarily.

I heard Mikael is a big fan of a band called Camel, is that true ?

The name is funny though, like cigarettes and stuff ...

Also, does Mikael like Led Zeppelin ?

Thank you for all your prompt answers and keep rockin' !

:headbang:

Hi
Yes Camel has been an influence on Opeth, both Mikael and Pete liked thier music. I can hear the influence of Andrew Latimer in Mikaels guitar sound when playing melodic lead parts and also in the phrasing and structure of these parts, in many ways i think the biggest influence of Camel is the melodic parts played over the chord srtucture, giving us all lots of melodies to hold the attention, its just when combined with everything else that it takes on a new meaning.
Mikael often mentiones Andy Latimer Camels songwriter and guitarist as an influence. also in many ways i could hear elelments of Andy Wards early drumming in Martin Lopez`s playing but again taken to a more modern place with much more impact.
By the way Camels name was i believe inspired by the Cigarette brand as Peter Bardens suggested it and i think it may have been a brand much of Camel smoked at the time, they also briefly considered (if this is not a windup) a sponsorship. i think this may be a nice wind up story though
Any was i think Camels influence on Opeth is for the musics benifit and perhapse what i picked up on first when hearing them.
:)