opeth listenability

zakk_hate_me_666 said:
luckily ive found this chick who digs opeth, may be goin to see em with me, hows that for a date, opeth show, awwright....... but i dont see how some chick can dig opeth, but some musicians, cant, i dont get it.... its fuckin wierd

Lucky Motherfucker, For me that is but a dream....

I hope my chick digs Opeth, but then again she'll probably just give the 'woof woof' comments.

Luckly when I got into Opeth I had a good attention span as well as some musical open-mindedness.

I can't remember when I introduced my fiancée to Opeth, but thankfully she enjoys Opeth just as much (Or possibly more, but that's a continual and pointless debate.) as I do.

We'll be venturing across the Tasman to see them in Australia. Assuming they release the tour dates they have planned presently, of course. And I'm being optimistic as I'm assuming they've already planned those dates.

Waiting makes me anxious.

arrgh would you ppl stop using the word "convert" like you´ve all seen the light ´cos you´re listening to Opeth. This is a UM forum. Not a Christian forum!

Anyway introduce ppl to Opeth if they like it fine if they don´t their loss. Don´t try manipulating them into liking something they don´t.

I don't think Opeth is unlistenable, certainly not if you generally like long/progressive songs. Being a huge Dream theater fan, I don't have any trouble :p. It's only unlistenable for people with a very short attention span.

So punk fans basically.

The Greys said:
Somone into punk music probably has ADD so their opinions on any music can't be taken seriously.

I'm guessing the person is proably 14,16 also.

Umm, I like old punk like Dead Kennedys, Fear, etc. A lot of that stuff was interesting, as well as informed. As a point of interest, most punks also have disparaging comments for 'metalheads', such as "Someone into metal probably got beat up by a girl in kindergarten so now they torture animals and worship Satan". Coincidentally, a lot of people I know who used to listen to metal only listened to the angrier stuff and to them that is what metal is and is all it is, so I hear "I used to listen to metal in high school, then I got out of that phase, etc." I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just saying it is ignorant to say just because you don't like someone else's style of music that they are ignorant because they don't like your style of music.

me and my mate tried to get this chick into opeth but failed miserably
our plan was to make a cd with the chilled songs at the start and then gradually getting heavier with like masters apprentices at the end, she listened to the end first and said it was too heavy

My mum loves the Damnation album, it plays on a loop in her car when she drives around.

But then as soon as i slip something on like In Mist or Ghost of Perdition, she says 'ah i can't handle all that racket.' Once at the same time she said - "and who's that other guy? He sounds like Kate Bush singing Babushka" (I refer to a mix tape that had Hallowed Be Thy Name by Cradle of Filth (Dani).

LOL, the best assessment!

Leper_Affinity said:
My mum loves the Damnation album, it plays on a loop in her car when she drives around.

But then as soon as i slip something on like In Mist or Ghost of Perdition, she says 'ah i can't handle all that racket.' Once at the same time she said - "and who's that other guy? He sounds like Kate Bush singing Babushka" (I refer to a mix tape that had Hallowed Be Thy Name by Cradle of Filth (Dani).

LOL, the best assessment!

My girlfriend is the same lol

My best friend, now roommate, got me into Opeth 4 years ago. He gave me a tape of Black Water Park. I listened to it and at first it was really hard to get into. I wasn't used to the vocals then either. So, I just set it aside for a while. Every now and then I'd put it in and listen to it. That's the point in my life where I stopped listening to music and began to actually listen to music. I know that probably sounds off the wall, but I would consentrate on the music, the notes being played, the atmosphere, etc. I wasn't used to this type of music and had to adjust my ears to it. I gradually started to listen to the tape more and decided that it wasn't half bad. The next year, 2002, I decided to buy my first Opeth album and bought Deliverance and thought it was a little hard to get into again. But I just kept on listening. I then realized how amazing they were and purchased all of their albums and know them by all heart. Bar-none, my favorite band.

Liquid Tension said:
You guys should try getting the late 30 to 40 years olds into Opeth! Pretty much most of my friends won't put up with the growls but do like Damnation a lot...

My dad was painting a room in the house a few months back when he asked me for some music to listen to. He's typically into classic rock, but I gave him my Opeth cd's and he listened to them in order (oldest to newest)

At first he wasnt that big on it, he didnt really like Orchid, but everything after Morningrise he loved. He made me burn all the cd's for him to listen to in the car.