Opeth-newbie...

The Old Oak

Kind der Stille!!
Dec 11, 2002
Denmark
Visit site
As it looks Opeth is one of the most popular bands on UM, But why have I never heard a single song from those guys. I have been listening to all kinds of metal since 1991 so I im not a newbie....The only thing I can explain this with is that they are no-good.....or else I would know them ;() Well seriously I would like to have some songs recommended.......and maybe they will have a new fan soon!!.....Thanx

Seems like u people have many favorite songs...even thogh they are not the same......hmmm!!!!..makes it diifficult for me to decide with song I will choose!. This song keeps the faith of opeth in its hands......

The Old Oak said:
Seems like u people have many favorite songs...even thogh they are not the same......hmmm!!!!..makes it diifficult for me to decide with song I will choose!. This song keeps the faith of opeth in its hands......

look thing is opeth is so diverse, but i started of with bleak and the night & silent water, its as good a start for anyone.

NECTAR!!!!!!!!!!
WHEN!!!!!!!!!!!
THE AMEN CORNER!!!!!!!!!!!
How could no one mention these songs?!?!?! These songs will get you hooked!

I must admit I'm a bleak-ite. That's the song that hooked me.

Here are my recomendations:

Face of Melinda (mellow metal at its finest, reveals a captivating story)
Benighted (this is the definition of accoustic metal. finger pricking goodness. :p )
My arms your hearse-entire album (swedish death metal... heavy... oh yeah, this is what progressive death metal is all about)
Black Rose Immortal (outstanding vocals... breathetaking riffs, what more can you ask for)
Bleak (if all else fails, lol)
Deliverance (progressiveness out the wazoo, has a dream theater-ish feel to it, riffs that just grab your soul and wont left go, beautiful array of vocals... *sigh* i feen for this song.)

p.s. if you ever insult opeth like that again... lets just leave it at that, lol.:err:

Nectar got me hooked, but I think The Funeral Portrait is a better place to start and would've hooked me had it been around when I started listening.

The Old Oak said:
I have been listening to all kinds of metal since 1991 so I im not a newbie....The only thing I can explain this with is that they are no-good.....or else I would know them

Why people constantly need to tell others of their metal credentials is beyond me. Seriously, we might as well start making metal resumes.....

"I've been listening to metal since 1991"

"I was listening to Opeth during their demo days"

"Oh yeah, well, my mom played metal to her stomach while she was pregnant with me"

:rolleyes:

Probably because otherwise, certain parts of the metal "community" begin slagging how un-tr00 everyone is...

Oh yeah, staying on topic...I think you cannot go wrong with "Bleak," "The Leper Affinity," or "Drapery Falls."

seriously, pick any song what so ever, you cannot go wrong with these guys.

Depending on what your musical preferences are I would suggest:

Orchid and Morningrise albums if you are into old school blackish death metal styles, "forest" or "green" metal, that kinda mystical evil feel to it

My Arms Your Hearse if you like heavy, chaotic, and sad feel. Also a, its a concept cd with excellent lyrical content.

Still Life if you like a "classical accoustic guitar sound" (that's what stands out most about this album to me) and just overall really good song writing, also a concept album, with good lyrical content

Blackwater Park if you dare go for a hugely heavy mid-tempo sound with some pop-y clean singing elements. Probably best song writing so far, very clear production

Deliverance if you like elements of brutal death metal, also prog-rock like clean singing. This Cd along with the next one are a lot more straight forward and less textured than all their previous releases.

Damnation if you like fairly simple and straight forward 70's prog rock, with interesting lead singing lines. Very moody, soft, and sad, with much less contrasts than their previous stuff.

anyways.. thats my $0.02.

sfarog

Dreamlord: The words u quote me for, does not really mean anything to my, Call me what u want I dun give shit.....I was just trying to do some sort of bad joke about Opeth (aware of this forum ;), how bad they are!.......But as I am listening to www.knac.com at the moment where they play Deliverance at the moment, I am convinced.... I have to buy som LP´s with those guys......

Thanx for all da suggestions!:...