Opeth on a scale of 1 to 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pointless if you people don't also name another band who you give a max rating, to see where you're coming from.

Lone_Isle said:
This is pointless if you people don't also name another band who you give a max rating, to see where you're coming from.

its all opinion anyway, the same 2 bands would be completely different ratings from person to person...so what point does a comparison have?

but if you need one, give me a band to compare opeth with, and ill do it.

IMO, it would give at least more meaning than just a stale out of 10 rating, with no further comments.

Let's replace "beauty of music" with "aesthetic value," shall we? For Vomitory (Swe):

Talent - 8
Aesthetic Value - 9

For Blind Guardian

Talent - 9
Aesthetic Value - 9 (10 if you don't count their last album)

For Nokturnal Mortum

Talent - 9
Aesthetic Value - 10

For Dream Theatre

Talent - 10
Aesthetic Value - 3

For Dream Theatre

Talent - 10
Aesthetic Value - 3

>> :lol: :lol:

id's say telent - 10
aesthetic value - 7 or smth for dream theater

opeth:
talent - 7
aesthetic value - 9

nevermore:
talent - 8
aesthetic value - 9

stratovarious
talent - 8 (they are really skilled)
aesthetic value - like 3 or 2 or smth...

pink floyd
talent - 7
aesthetic value - 10 (at least on animal and wish you were here...)

How do we know whether they're talented or not? Could they appear more technically gifted, yet not show it in Opeth? Could that talent manifest itself in compositional ability? In that case, wouldn't the talent rating hold bearing on the 'aesthetic value'?

This seems like a waste of a thread...

Wow. What a board...

Anyhow, it appears to me that Opeth have a 9/10 talent and a 10/10 beauty.

The Opeth members are no virtuosos at their respective instruments.
Still, all of them are incredibly good. Lopez being the most talented at his instrument, Akerfeldt being the most creative person.
The growling also takes a lot of talent which Mikael does possess. Akerfeldt is also the guy that writes the best visual lyrics. Heck, they are even sociocritical.

As for the beauty, it's a subjective thing of course.

I however wouldn't say that a few repeats of several (!) riffs in a single song make their music repetitive. Not, at all. You may not like what they play but that's a different matter.
They are also not predictable, either.

The way the lyrics and the vocals are accompanied by the music is unmatched. This was executed the best on MAYH, I think.

They always create the perfect atmosphere for a line/verse/chorus. They always succeed at delivering moods.

It's a shame that even Opeth fans underrate them... oh well..

why do i smell SOT?
who ripped off the old Dhein thread and stole jack frobers name for themselves? that makes me sad because i thought ol jack was hallowed ground and couldnt be touched. oh well. ;)

shroud: why no smart ass remarks about this thread? theres still time! :tickled:

Status
Not open for further replies.