Opeth Song Survivor - Round 1 - My Arms Your Hearse

Which song do you DISLIKE the most? DISLIKE DISLIKE DISLIKE!

• Prologue

Votes: 32 35.2%
  • April Ethereal

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • When

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Madrigal

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • The Amen Corner

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Demon of the Fall

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Credence

Votes: 3 3.3%
    Votes: 17 18.7%
  • Epilogue

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
NOONE said:
Sad to see Karma, one of my favourites, having more votes than Madrigal and Epilogue put together(songs that make me hit the skip button, or the stop button in Epilogue's case).

I personally think anything without vocals should be excluded, instrumentals are an easy way out for everyone :)

Schism said:
I personally think anything without vocals should be excluded, instrumentals are an easy way out for everyone /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Well, to be fair, there's at least one exception to this in my case... On BWP, I think "Patterns in the Ivy" is a better song than "Dirge for November."

John Gargo said:
Well, to be fair, there's at least one exception to this in my case... On BWP, I think "Patterns in the Ivy" is a better song than "Dirge for November."

I disagree, I think Dirge for November is fantastic mood piece it goes from gentle simplicity to a great wall of sound that goes right through me everytime and almost leaves me shaking!!
Patterns in the Ivy, like most instrumental interludes are really only breathers between songs for mine.

Schism said:
I disagree, I think Dirge for November is fantastic mood piece it goes from gentle simplicity to a great wall of sound that goes right through me everytime and almost leaves me shaking!!
Don't get me wrong... I think "Dirge for November" is a great song, but my main gripe with it is that the transition between the two parts is rather jarring and abrupt. "Patterns in the Ivy" is brief, of course, but unless you listen to it closely, its stunning beauty can be easily overlooked..

I voted for Madrigal over Prologue. I love Madrigal. A lot. But I think the album would lose a lot more if it didn't have Prologue rather than Madrigal. And there's no way I could vote the other songs this early in.

Reactions: LiB
Fuck you guys, Karma rocks!:) I can't believe so many people dislike it, the first 2 riffs, and the final riff are probably the best headbanging riffs of all time, and the middle of the song, while not as awesome as the beginning and end, is still great, really dark, heavy, and angry, I love it. I'd put it in my top 10 of Opeth songs definitely.

Quite unbelievably, I accidentally voted for the song I most enjoy.

Prologue..

just kidding, April Ethereal. God I'm dumb sometimes!

for years, I didn't like Demon of the Fall; now I listen to it on a daily basis, having finally found it's haunting essence. the last part is brilliant.
I voted prologue btw

John Gargo said:

I don't understand why Dirge for November gets so much flack; it is my favourite from BWP

Because it's so bloody repetive. For an Opeth song it is extremely linear. Also I think the sheer excellence of the soft bit at the start serves only to highlight the rest of the songs' shortcomings even more

OK, I feel compelled to say this... By agreeing that Prologue and Madrigal shouldn't be on the poll and that they're not really songs, and then going ahead and NOT voting them off, you're only increasing the chances that they'll make it to the next round over a "proper" song...

And this makes sense why? :err:

Certainly not me . By the way wonder what is gone to be for Still Life !!! Too hard :(

KARMA?????? We can't possibly be talking about the same song!? Well I guess thats why they are called OPINIONS :). In my humble opinion, Karma is the resolution to the masterwork that is MAYH. It brings the story to an emotional climax, and ROCKS MY WORLD.
But I guess I'm a little biased because to me, MAYH is perfect, and NO song should be voted off. To me this is Opeth's best cd by far, and one of the very best metal cds in history, period!

PS I know, "lighten up dude, its just a poll."

I know for a fact, that Epilogue and Madrigal are loved by many people, so there was no way I was leaving those out. And prologue is a great atmospheric intro which I like very much, so bah. And yeah John Gargo, plenty of people didn't vote for those 3, yet others complain that the instrumentals will *obviously* go out first. I don't think Epilogue is likely to be voted out for quite a while.

And I'm not tired of polls, they give me a reason to live. :zombie: If you don't like polls, don't vote. :)