Opeth: The New Beatles?

MasterOLightning said:
I think the Beatles are overrated musically. Put them up against The Who or Rolling Stones, and they blow away the Beatles. The Beatles were a pop band. They had more of an influence than anyone else, but I think they get more credit than they deserve.

prolly. why overrating the most influencing band? :ill: :confused:

segaszivos said:
I'd go with that. Both bands were revolutionary, not to the extent of the Beatles. Both bands had such a mature attitude in their premiering album.

The music was very technical. The harmonies were revolutionary. Try having 3 people sing different vocals at once and make it a chord. Very difficult to do. Also, the majority of the songs were love songs, but they stop writting about love as they mature. BTW, Opeth writes about love just as much as the Beatles. Listen to Orchid, Morningrise, and Still Life. They are love-based epical albums. They were the first band to use harmonies in rock songs. The Beatles were the first band to use a citare in their music.
hmmm, three people singing different vocals at one and making a chord. and how is this revolutionary? are you saying chords were never sung vocally before the beatles? ockeghem might have something to say about that. if you want revolutionary vocal music, try palestrina. the beatles weren't revolutionary musically, even for the 60's. if you want something experimental and ground breaking, try penderecki.

The Beatles own your mom.
The Beatles made Ozzy pick up on music.
Black Sabbath made metal.
The Beatles are VERY important to the metal genre.
You're gay.

Just to say, my mother has all the Beatles record, she is a beattle fan, unfortunately we have a cd player in the car, so for each holiday trip i have an album from the Beatles..

I recognize, they did the kind of first concept album, did some great stuff for music, did the beginning of Prog music, but i still don't like that, don't ask me why, i just hate beattles, and i have listened all their records

I have a theory
Beattles made at the beginning some easy pop listeneing live album and get famous with, then the kind of stuff they did after became really influence, because they were known till the beginning, Black Sabbath didn't get influence by love me do, neither Yellow submarine.....

To me opeht just forgot to make shitty easy teen listening on their first album :D , if, they would have been a great influence even to mainstream people

But no, they are just going to influence some doomy personn with long hair, and brutal screaming :D

RydManiac said:
I recognize, they did the kind of first concept album, did some great stuff for music, did the beginning of Prog music, but i still don't like that, don't ask me why, i just hate beattles, and i have listened all their records
no way. frank sinatra made concept albums long before the fab four came along. check out "in the wee small hours of the night" for an early concept album, first released in 1955.

the alumnus said:
comparing opeth to the beatles? please don't, that's like comparing fine wine to urine. the beatles are shit pop music. opeth tried to say something a little more substantive than "love me do" or "paperbag writer".
opeth are good for what they are. they are better than the pop drivel of today, but i wouldn't call them schnittke.

this is the single stupidest post i have seen on the entire site for a long time. sorry mate, no offence, but dont talk about stuff you just dont understand. the beatles wrote some profound stuff. check out the lyrics to across the universe. it might go right over your head.
as for opeth, we have played with them and know the guys a bit. they are talented lads, but really nothing revolutionary. they would be the first to admit it.

There's a thin line between ORIGINALITY and POPULARITY. It doesn't matter what they create, a fan will fight and defend the bands credit to the end, even if the band themselves has a completly different view of the subject, and would find the matter silly.

There's also a difference from bands of yesterday, like the Beatles, where the bands that were influenced by them, openly admit that, and todays problem, zine "reviewers", most of which took a creative writing class in high school, and just want free cd's (there are exceptions) who listen to the first minute of a track and write "This band is obviously influenced by (Example) Opeth". Even if the band plays a style that is close, and maybe never listened to Opeth, and very possibly draws their influence from the same pool, will be tagged with a "rip off" title, and there for, added to the "Influenced by Opeth" catagory.

Are bands infuenced by The Beatles? Of course. Are bands influenced by Opeth? Of course. Is some of the influence dictated by fans, fan boys and reviewers, creating more of an uprising then there really is? Without doubt.

Fervisson said:
The Beatles own your mom.
The Beatles made Ozzy pick up on music.
Black Sabbath made metal.
The Beatles are VERY important to the metal genre.
You're gay.

lol

well put.

I'm not a Beates fan, but I don't dislike thier music. I do respect them and I realize everything they did for popular music at that point andt he influence they had on others and people in general.

Opeth and the Beatles are so diffrent you can't even compare them, and mainstream music is so diffrent and engineered these days that I think its very unlikely that another band will ever come along that does what the Beatles did. Which is why we have to grasp the gems we find in the underground such as Opeth.

Tool and Opeth tour? I am there. Opeth would gain much fans with that. Sadly when you go to a Tool concert though its just full of abunch of Mallcore kids wearing nothing but Korn and Slipknot t-shirts. Thier only there because Tool is on radio and MTV. Otherwise they wouldn't give Tool the time of day even if they did hear 'em.