Opeth Tribute Album

I'm getting some better recording equipment in the next week or so, so I might be able to record the guitars for Bleak, or maybe even The Drapery Falls with the live edit solo :)

The only problem is that I don't have an acoustic, so I might have to use the clean electric for the acoustic parts.

Godhead's Lament said:
Doubt it. I just listened to the song 3 times and there is no acoustic. Maybe I'm going deaf?:erk:

there is one part that i would imagine someone could confuse with an acoustic....i don't have the song with me, so i don't know the exact time...but it is the part right after mike's solo. the riff in that entire section seems to have an acoustic-like twang sound...but i think that sound is from a strat with the tone pot cranked...it sounds pretty neat...adds some separation to the notes...adds articulation and dynamics. my money is on that part being what he has in mind.

*edit* i just listened to it in my head, and it sounds like it could be a slapping bass too...but i'm leaning towards strat.

affinityband said:
The whole clean secton in masters apprentices is an acoustic guitar. which is about 2n half mins long
Okay you know what? I'll record the damn acoustic part myself. I will shell out 100 bucks to get a good damn acoustic pickup and then I'll do it! ARGH!!!

We really need Mike to clarify things here.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Okay you know what? I'll record the damn acoustic part myself. I will shell out 100 bucks to get a good damn acoustic pickup and then I'll do it! ARGH!!!

just mic and then compress!!! or even better, mic while compressing...or even better, buy a condenser mic...it will sound better than recording direct with a pickup...it would sound like it did on lamentations...which was shitty.

JoeVice said:
just mic and then compress!!! or even better, mic while compressing...or even better, buy a condenser mic...it will sound better than recording direct with a pickup...it would sound like it did on lamentations...which was shitty.
Hmm... really? I thought condenser mics were only good for recording studio vocals. That's interesting, 2 functions in one! I'll probably get one of those instead then.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Hmm... really? I thought condenser mics were only good for recording studio vocals. That's interesting, 2 functions in one! I'll probably get one of those instead then.

yah, if you watch the harvest video, mike is using a condenser to record that...i've used one before at my school's recording studio. if you are going to get one, make sure that if it uses phantom power, have a power supply....you can get this on most mixers...even some small 4 tracks. most condenser mics use phantom power, but i have seen some that have batteries too.

Damn, I wish I had recording equipment. It would be great to be a part of this.

I'll probably buy them, after I get myself a nice PRS Custom 24/Gibson Les Paul and a half-stack. I was thinking a Framus Dragon, it would be nice. But I'm not sure how it handles the blues :S

So, we'll probably see again 4500euros from now :wave:

Some of you should consider doing an opeth tribute album. Opeth did some tributes to Iron Maiden and Celtic Frost, so go ahead and return the favor!

JoeVice said:
yah, if you watch the harvest video, mike is using a condenser to record that...i've used one before at my school's recording studio. if you are going to get one, make sure that if it uses phantom power, have a power supply....you can get this on most mixers...even some small 4 tracks. most condenser mics use phantom power, but i have seen some that have batteries too.
Money money money... something I do not have much of! I was thinking of recording on my pc... but hell if I gotta get a 4 track (or something) I will. Do the battery ones cost more?

We are working on it now, probably take a week or 2 to get it right. It won't be amazingly well recorded, since we don't have the money to do that, but it will be better than anything of our own since we have made progress in our recording capabilities. Its a nice test to try out new things, and hopefully make an original take on a song that we really like!

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Money money money... something I do not have much of! I was thinking of recording on my pc... but hell if I gotta get a 4 track (or something) I will. Do the battery ones cost more?

the battery powered ones are generally cheaper...just go to musicians friend and start searching.

So have we got all the instruments covered? I'm more than happy to play lead guitar for any song that gets chosen, and I think I could make a pretty decent recording (Mic'd cab). I could possibly record acoustic guitars as well. Someone shoot me a PM or whatever.