opeth tribute

Mystery Science Theatre 3000

I can't help myself. I love this show! They just continuously crack on it. It's great. :lol:

Sorry for straying.

Well, some tit has joined this thread late.

(That's me, by the way... :rolleyes: )

Hmm, so a while ago I started To Bid You Farewell. I did all the drums (and they're reasonably accurate), but then my brother removed his effects pedal from my life so it'll have to wait 'till I buy one. I'll have a go at singing it :)erk: ) but I reckon I'm crap so I probably wont bother leaving it on once I've listened to the playback. Also, there'd be no bass, so someone would have to put that on, unless I used a third guitar track. Then someone would have to mix it, of course.

I know all of ONE guitar of Black Rose Immortal, but I never bothered to learn the other part or the solos. They're the only two that I know fully (for at least one guitar), I'm too lazy to learn full songs nowadays. It must be old age.

So, uh, is anyone still doing this? If so, how's it going?
I just recorded everything except the vocals today, will do them shortly. It's taken ages because my 4 track recorder is utter shit and has been giving me all sorts of problems- basically if I stuff up one of the guitar parts I have to re-do everything because tracks don't get erased properly when re-recording, so the old track is audible under the new. Seemed to always make a major cock up near the end, with the 2nd guitar part, so had to start all over again. Plus all the other problems I have with it, but I won't bore you ;)

Anyway, just a few more days.... (all you others, stop slacking off :p)

Yes, I'm still going. SLOWLY. I know what you mean about mistakes, I seem to be making a hell of a lot lately. I can't even get part of a track down without cocking up. It seems that my fingers are made of lead.

Also, what do people think about To Bid You Farewell being totally clean, no distortion at all?? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by rustymetal
Yes, I'm still going. SLOWLY. I know what you mean about mistakes, I seem to be making a hell of a lot lately. I can't even get part of a track down without cocking up. It seems that my fingers are made of lead.

Also, what do people think about To Bid You Farewell being totally clean, no distortion at all?? :rolleyes:
That would be cool id think. Different but still good.

I believe the recording of White Cluster is still in progress, Orchid was doing drums and was nearing completion i think. Will be a few weeks before the finished product, but it will be done.... well i will do my part of Orchid and Hearse get their parts done at least :p

Yes yes, have patience, people! :)

I'm almost done with tracking the drums. There's only the (excruciatingly dull!) ending to be done, which is nothing but basic beat with double kicks.

After that I'll start tweaking the dynamics, which will take one or two evening sessions by the computer, and after that I'll make the basic EQing, after which Hearse can start working on his parts.

Btw, YaYoGakk is in the middle of exams these days, so it doesn't really matter how fast I and Hearse complete our parts.

Originally posted by Orchid
Yes yes, have patience, people! :)

I'm almost done with tracking the drums. There's only the (excruciatingly dull!) ending to be done, which is nothing but basic beat with double kicks.

After that I'll start tweaking the dynamics, which will take one or two evening sessions by the computer, and after that I'll make the basic EQing, after which Hearse can start working on his parts.

Btw, YaYoGakk is in the middle of exams these days, so it doesn't really matter how fast I and Hearse complete our parts.

What program do you use? (to do the drums)

I just had midterms, so I put my project on hold for a while. Currently I am working on the solos in Twilight
(I decided I would tackle the tough parts first). That jazz drummer is also learning how to do double bass for me, so I have to wait for him before I can start recording.

I've downloaded it, Mr. Niel, I will take it to my computer and listen in a while.

:headbang:

EDIT: I like it. Now do the first 11(-ish) minutes :p. I must say I was disappointed not to have the drums on the acoustic part - that section is one of my favourite for drums on Orchid. And I love the bass at the very end ;).

EDIT II: Okay, you said you wanted it to be a joint project. I will offer to do (do = program) drums, seeing as my recording of TBYF is going terribly. Yay or nay??

Originally posted by Staffan
What program do you use? (to do the drums)

ModPlugTracker :)

I got into "making music" through FT2, but WinXP doesn't like FT2, and FT2 doesn't care very much about accurate timing (nor 44.1kHz samples) so I've started to use ModPlug.

Updates, people??

I've decided to go for a quick version of Harvest to get me going, because the other song(s) I was going to do have stalled a little bit. This will only have 1 guitar part (unless someone wants to add the solo, I can't be arsed :p) plus the singing (if I manage to sing in tune for once... :erk: ). I've already done the guitar strumming (well it's not hard, is it?? :p) so there's just the vocals to record. Oh dear.

Also, in case anyone missed it, I'll be (and have started) programming the drums for Forest of October. It seems like Mr Niel will be doing some guitars, but I don't know how much he knows so you can all sort that out between yourselves.

Finally, could everyone who is doing a song (excluding yourdeadgroom) confirm what it is they're doing?? I just want a better picture of what's going on. :D

I have yet to find a tab of Serenity Painted Death... Perhaps I should just Tab it out myself? If anyone needs a guitar for any Opeth song, I can play any of it, all I need is the tabs or some time to figure it out on my own. I also am friends with the kid who won the Guitar Center Drum-Off for the state of MA so I may be able to get him to do some drums. I also have song good recording equipment.

EDIT
How about this? I promise to start tabing out Serenity Painted Death if others try it as well. We can compare what we have. What do you say?
Also, I think I'll do it in power Tab so any help with Rythem and time sigs would help a lot!

Me and my brother are probably going to play Bleak in our band.
the only problem is that we don't have anyone on vocals yet.
I also know the drapery falls and blackwater park on guitar.

...just if you wanted to know...

Juuso's gone :)cry: ) so we'll have to rely on Lasse for updates about White Cluster. I'm about 3 mins into the Forest of October drums. I'm trying to get the vocals sorted out for Harvest, but I can't seem to transfer the guitar file over MSN, so I'll have to upload it somewhere. But I haven't got anywhere to upload it, so I don't know what to do about that. :confused: