Opeth: Watershed

I tried...just never caught me. I like Damnation and a lot of stuff from Blackwater Park, but that's as far as it goes for me...still don't get the love for Still Life. Ah, to each his own.
I suggest that you keep going back to Still Life. It actually was just about a year after I bought it when I finally started 'getting' it.

What I really don't get is the hate towards Ghost Reveries by a lot of older Opeth fans...

A lot of older Opeth fans prefer the much more doom metal influenced style in the older albums. Ghost Reveries was more proggy, melodic and catchy than anything they had done before, and it coincided with them being signed to Roadrunner Records, a pretty typical event that would cause many fans to claim that Opeth "sold out".

What I really don't get is the hate towards Ghost Reveries by a lot of older Opeth fans...

As I have said before, Ghost Reveries is one of my all time favorite albums. There is not a single dull or boring second on that album, it's absolutely brilliant.

I tried numerous times...I'll give it another shot. Not to be a jerk, but is there something specific I should be "getting"?

Well, it was never one of those albums that really had anything that stood out. The more I listened to it, the more I began to appreciate the intricacy of the guitar work and how great the vocals are. It might actually be possible for someone to not like Opeth, so you may not actually 'get' it at all.:lol:

but back to the topic on hand.. so there's no one going to the melb show but me??? i know michael isn't coz he got lame and missed out on getting a ticket in time haha. silly boy.. also did it sell out anywhere except melbourne? the show sold out months ago here, alot of friends i know can't go coz they didn't buy quickly enough, losers!

@ ken.. no i don't think my guy will ever get into opeth. he is a lamb of god fan after all haha.

OPETH WAS INCREDIBLE!!!!!

The band was so tight, and Mikael's voice was right on, the whole band was fantastic, but I think Axe impressed me the most! His drumming was incredible! And Per is probably the coolest keyboardist around, playing hammonds and mellotrons whilst headbanging, and the facial hear is looking awesome I must say... :cool:

Fantastic setlist, I was a little surprise there wasn't a bit more from Watershed, seeing as that's what they were touring for, but it was very well balanced, Heir Apparent was just monstrous as an opener, and the outro to Deliverance always gets me air-drumming (and I think 90% of the crowd :lol: )

So stoked with that show, just amazing!

The setlist was:

Heir Apparent
Master's Apprentices
The Baying of the Hounds
Serenity Painted Death
To Rid the Disease
The Lotus Eater
Bleak
The Night and the Silent Water
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall
----------------------
The Drapery Falls

I really Like the album
But can I ask you Opeth fans a questiion ?
I don't want to offend anyone But I realy like all the songs i heard so far that Don't have the Growels threwout the songs Is there an album that I should look for that has mostly clean singing on it or do i need to pick threw all there albums and go threw Itoons or something and get all the clean vocal songs they put out?
I don't mind if theres a little bit of growling in a song as long as its not threw the whole thing
Thanks in advance

I really Like the album
I don't want to offend anyone But I realy like all the songs i heard so far that Don't have the Growels threwout the songs Is there an album that I should look for that has mostly clean singing on it or do i need to pick threw all there albums and go threw Itoons or something and get all the clean vocal songs they put out?
I don't mind if theres a little bit of growling in a song as long as its not threw the whole thing
Thanks in advance

Get the album 'Damnation' by Opeth, it's an entirely acoustic album.

I really Like the album
Thanks in advance

I'm with you.

Damnation is a good album...very slow and deliberate...but well done.

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!!!!

yes yes.. you might be able to guess.. Opeth was last night....

I FINALLY fulfilled my dream of meeting the mighty god that is Mikael.. my friends have the pics on their phones so as soon as i get them i'll post one here. and i made him sign my ticket stub..twice..i didn't get anyone else to sign it, just him two times lol!! AND i told him he was my god lol.. he laughed at that, and my friends were like 'i can't believe you said that!' and i was like 'well he is damnit!' right in front of mikael lol..and i also said 'in a totally non creepy way you're wife is a very lucky woman' and his reply was 'yeah i know' and he laughed. hahaha! he is a legend, all the guys were so goddamned nice! as for the show itself..well..

opening act was a secret before the show, but it was VIRGIN FUCKING BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg they were so awesome, i've been a fan of theirs ever since i first heard them probably about 2 years ago, but they're hardly ever out here, and dear god when they opened and i realised who it was, well that was almost as exciting for me as the fact that Opeth would be on soon after. dan you would have had Virgin Black too yeah? being an adelaide band and all.. did you like them?

the set was fantastic, except their closing song was the drapery falls which was nice, but they could have chosen a better one i reckon, and yeah only 2 songs off the new album..the setlist was what dan posted above, i was extremely happy with it..

i just still can't believe i finally got to meet him.. of course i totally played it cool around the band but afterwards when we said goodbye and walked off i was pretty much hyperventilating lol.. ah im pathetic i know, but dear god they are worth every ounce of it..

opening act was a secret before the show, but it was VIRGIN FUCKING BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg they were so awesome, i've been a fan of theirs ever since i first heard them probably about 2 years ago, but they're hardly ever out here, and dear god when they opened and i realised who it was, well that was almost as exciting for me as the fact that Opeth would be on soon after. dan you would have had Virgin Black too yeah? being an adelaide band and all.. did you like them?

NICE! I hope we get them up here in bris. They were openers for Arcturus a while ago and they were awesome! Ever since hearing them then I've been a big fan.