Opeth: Watershed

Actually, Orchid is pretty good in its own way. I wouldn't have explored Opeth further if it was the first album of theirs I heard, but it does have some good moments. The only problem I have with it is the sound quality. It's very thin and can get quite annoying.

Also:

DPRP round the table review of WS. Mine is a little rushed towards the end because I had to rush to make the deadline.

I love all of their stuff, except for Orchid and MAYH. The latter is ok, but not something I could listen to regularly.

If you like Morningrise, how could you not like Orchid? It's practically the same style. I think I prefer their early, twin guitar sound more than their more recent two albums. I know Mikael hates it, which is a shame. It means we might never hear Black Rose Immortal live!

I agree with you about MAYH, though. I don't understand what people see in that album. The "wall of sound" on most songs just does nothing for me.

I also seem to be the only person in existence to think Blackwater Park is overrated. Yeah, half the album is extremely good, but Harvest, Dirge For November, and (to a lesser extent) The Funeral Portrait are just dull and boring to me.

The similarities between Morningrise and Orchid are definitely there. I think there is a clear progression between the two though. I could liken them to conjoined twins. When separated, Morningrise got all the functional organs, has only minor cosmetic flaws, and went on to live a happy healthy life. Orchid is the stillborn, deformed of the two with really short arms and no eyes that was just born to fail. It's like the dead fetus on the side of the Nurse's face on South Park.

The similarities between Morningrise and Orchid are definitely there. I think there is a clear progression between the two though. I could liken them to conjoined twins. When separated, Morningrise got all the functional organs, has only minor cosmetic flaws, and went on to live a happy healthy life. Orchid is the stillborn, deformed of the two with really short arms and no eyes that was just born to fail. It's like the dead fetus on the side of the Nurse's face on South Park.

+1. couldn't have said it better, so i won't.

:lol:

I am listening to Orchid right now and I like it. Don't know how you can call it a failure. Sure there are some issues, but I think it's still a pretty good album. Somehow the production actually makes the feel of the acoustic sections for example more interesting for me. At some points it does annoy me though.

I'd give it maybe 3/5*

*0 = Very bad
1 = Just bad
2 = Average
3 = Good
4 = Better
5 = The best **

**Edit: By the way, I think this rating scale is fucking perfect. It had all the explanations needed for the given rating.

I love the songs on the first two albums, but the production suffers. I can't even imagine what the songs would sound like now if they were re-recorded. Just listen to "Under the Weeping Moon" and "The Night and the Silent Water" on Roundhouse Tapes. The deeper growling, the better clean vocals, the keyboards... incredible.

After answering that, I went back and listened to a few tracks from deliverance....I think I'll bump it up to 7.5/10.

Maybe I am a weirdo...but nevertheless, Orchid is a total meh for me. I wouldn't say I entirely dislike MAYH, but it's just not that strong to me from a musical standpoint. A few great tracks, but at least 50% filler.

i joked that u were a weirdo more for not liking MAYH than orchid.. i know most of opeth very well, but its one i never really tried that hard to listen to, what ive heard, i liked the music itself but yeah the production was just terrible. i personally adore MAYH, and don't think anything on it was 'filler', but that's just how i feel about it.

Seems like nobody is going to agree with me, but for me the order of preference goes as follows:

Blackwater Park: FTW!
Orchid + Damnation: Classics ;)
Watershed: Good stuff, especially production wise. The band seems to be taking a healthy but not particularly outstanding direction.
MAYH + Morning Rise: Average for me, might be good for some. A few good tracks can be found here though (Demon of the Fall for example should belong to the 'Classics' category).

These are the only Opeth albums I have.

Seems like nobody is going to agree with me, but for me the order of preference goes as follows:

Watershed: Good stuff, especially production wise. The band seems to be taking a healthy but not particularly outstanding direction.
MAYH + Morning Rise: Average for me, might be good for some. A few good tracks can be found here though (Demon of the Fall for example should belong to the 'Classics' category).

Pick up Ghost Reveries and Deliverance. :loco:

I was going to weigh in on this, but then I realized you don't have Still Life. Thus, voiding your list and making any comments on it irrelevant:)

(buy Still Life)