Opeths musical evolution....

Maggai

Oct 26, 2003
www.abnormal1.cjb.net
Hey. I'm doing this big Opeth project at school, and I'm writing about Opeth's music and how their music change for each album, what makes each album special and how they get more mature with the music and so on. Can anybody help me out abit? Like what is special for each album and such? And does any musicians know any chords and scales they tend to use very often?
Thanks!

Well, as you probably know, their biggest change was between Morningrise and "My Arms..." My suggestion is to have a before and after these albums. And as you grow older your tast in music change. In the beginning of the 90`s Mikael discovered Prog bands like Cressida, Camel, Cirkus etc.

I've been trying to learn opeths bass lines for a while now and i've noticed alot of their riffs are in the scale of G (please correct me if i'm wrong) Songs from damnation come to mind mostly.

The Moor said:
I've been trying to learn opeths bass lines for a while now and i've noticed alot of their riffs are in the scale of G (please correct me if i'm wrong) Songs from damnation come to mind mostly.
G is a key, not a form. I haven't really listened to their music from an analytical standpoint (it's always been pure emotion to me) but I've noticed Mike's lead playing has gotten more bluesy (A Fair Judgement) as of late.

Oh yeah, and also they have become more dissonant, especially noticeable between Morningrise and MAYH. Morningrise and Orchid didn't have NEAR the dissonance that the last 4 heavy ones have had.

Mike hates twin guitar these days. And both Orchid and Morningrise have alot of that. I also have a opinion about his voice. When he discouverd Nick Drake he used his voice diffrently. It´s around 97.

Well, in terms of chords, they use lots of minor chords, sometimes with 9ths, and past that there is not much theory that goes into their music. As solos go, lots of minor blues playing, thrown in with some natural minor.

estimate said:
Make sure you take note of Steve Wilsons influence, he's very good at making each riff special. Therefore are Blackwater Park og D&D kinda different.
I've asked before and I'll ask again, but didn't Wilson only produce the soft parts of those albums?

EDIT-
Looks like I was wrong in some sense.
To correct myself, for Deliverance at least:

Engineered by Opeth, Fredrik Nordstrom, Fredik Reymendahl & Steven Wilson
Produced by Opeth & Steven Wilson

you could just do this:

-Orchid, Morningrise:

Opeth were kvlt.

-What came after:

Opeth became pop-music.

then have a picture of God laughing as Satan cries in a corner [... cuz opeth are no longer kvlt... get it?]

PS: I'm just joking.