Orchid/Morningrise/Deliverance??

Syndrome

Savage Messiah
Nov 3, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
I want to buy a opeth album, but I can't decide which..
What do you think? I would be happy if you could tell me good and bad stuff for each album.
thanx
:headbang:

Syndrome

get these two:

Morningrise
Blackwater Park

those two albums represent the overall godliness of opeth.

If you feel that you have excellent taste: Buy Orchid or Morningrise first.

If you feel that you may suffer from questionable taste: Blackwater Park instead.

I just want you to be happy.

[Note to whiners: This post contains at least 50% jest.]

I'd take Morningrise way over Orchid. Its so much more polished and rounded out. Orchid sounds exactly like the first album a few excited kids would record. Not to say it isn't excellent for a first offering, it is, but Morningrise sounds like a much more mature band. Its my favorite Opeth album, and one of my Top 5 favorite albums of all time.

Out of those three? Morningrise. But here is the order I would purchase Opeth's albums...

1. Still Life
2. My Arms, Your Hearse
3. Morningrise
4. Blackwater Park
5. Deliverance
6. Orchid

It's odd because I think BWP is one of their best works! You're in for a treat!:)

Although I think morningrise is their best record, it took me awhile to get over the crappy production and rawer sound of that record. I think to start there should be no question...you should buy either Still Life of Blackwater Park. Both of those albums have good production and good diversity of songs. I dont think i would ever recommend Orchid, Morningrise, or MAYH to anyone as a starting disc to get into Opeth, because I think that on the surface these albums are harder to get into.

Originally posted by Syndrome
I want to buy a opeth album, but I can't decide which..
What do you think? I would be happy if you could tell me good and bad stuff for each album.
3 of the 4 best Opeth albums you're considering ;)

Orchid:
good- has the twin guitar approach of their early stuff (which IMO totally rules), the songs are quite up-tempo, an awful lot of good riffs and atmosphere
bad- vocals a little too loud; they can overdo the atmospheric passages in places, clean vocals aren't as strong/confident as in later albums

Morningrise:
good- more mellow than Orchid, songs are stronger, better acoustic passages than Orchid, some stunningly beautiful riffs, the song Advent, same twin guitar thing as Orchid
bad- ummm......... it ends ;)

Deliverance:
good- best album (IMO) of their current approach (which is more chord based than melodic). Is pretty heavy, songs are more structured than the early albums
bad- songs are more structured than the early albums :D

Hearse: I'm a he.. Just that you know ;)

and anyway, I like Morningrise (nothing beats Black Rose Immortal and Advent) and I think I'll get it first, then blackwater park..