Orchid/Morningrise

Morningrise is my favourite Opeth album right now. But then again my favourite Opeth album change twice every month.

I have never seen anyone thinking this before but I think Morningrise is the most emotionaly intense album.

anyone who isn't an "elitist omg i liked opeth before you did lol i got orchid the day it came out lmao" fan should realize orchid and morningrise arent the best of the opeth catalogue

stole_my_bike said:
anyone who isn't an "elitist omg i liked opeth before you did lol i got orchid the day it came out lmao" fan should realize orchid and morningrise arent the best of the opeth catalogue
Ironic, because that was one of the most elitist comments I have ever read.

Larsson said:
Ironic, because that was one of the most elitist comments I have ever read.

I agree. Stole my bike, if I ever find you, I'll steal your bike again!

Morningrise has a certain something that no other Opeth album has. I don't know what it is, but it's beautiful. Maybe it's the production (which IMO is perfect), maybe it's the young passion in the music that isn't found as much in the next albums, or maybe it's the warm acoustics and the folk-ier parts that somehow got lost.

I don't know what it is, but IMO Morningrise is the perfect Opeth album. It's strange because I can see the flaws you all pointed out, but it just doesn't matter to me.

Frosties said:
Morningrise has a certain something that no other Opeth album has. I don't know what it is, but it's beautiful. Maybe it's the production (which IMO is perfect), maybe it's the young passion in the music that isn't found as much in the next albums, or maybe it's the warm acoustics and the folk-ier parts that somehow got lost.

I don't know what it is, but IMO Morningrise is the perfect Opeth album. It's strange because I can see the flaws you all pointed out, but it just doesn't matter to me.
Exactly. Some lame waves-roling-in-on-the-beach sounds doesent bother some people enough to keep it out of their top threes.

Morningrise is my absolute favourite album ever, with The Night And The Silent Water being my favourite song. There's just something about the album, the overall feel, the amazing harmonies.....everything about it is perfect. Orchid is alot more cut and paste I'll agree, but I think it works quite well. The quick transitions from riff to riff sound excellent in every case I think, and while there might not be the much more mature transitions of something like Still Life, I still think Orchid is one of the best albums and has some of the greatest songs.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Orchid > Morningrise

By a long shot, IMHO.

as critical as I am about both of the albums, I do indeed like them, and also agree that Orchid > Morningrise by far... but they're both still on the bottom of the pile for me, Morningrise being my least favorite Opeth album

Every new album, Opeth adds something to itself and upgrades it's music :) They all work harder to do something better. But I guess they always have "plans" for their upcoming albums. Like; "This one's going to be a lot heavier, and this is going to be a lot melodic etc..." They do anything to do that and work really hard.

Whatever they add to their music the basics of Opeth always remain.

Extraordinary band :) They're just perfect. Every album is perfect... but I like Orchid and Morningrise most.

Yes, as Mikael says, Morningrise is a special album with a special sound. They keep moving on, changing their style slightly because Mikael claims he can't even listen to some of the stuff from that album. I love the bass in Orchid though, great driving music.

I love Orchid and Morningrise, both have amazing work from bass ("In Mist She Was Standing" at 6:30m, the best i ever heard from bass) and delicious acoustic parts, maybe my favourites.
I agree that sometimes, some parts dont glue very well, the transitions dont make much sense, but in fact, that isnt so important in a band like Opeth, they are different, they dont follow any formula.... why should the music finish and another come? or not? I like to think that if Opeth decide to do it like that is because they want to express their art in that way.

Sry for my english

WeepingMoon said:
if they re-recorded orchid and morningrise, i think those albums would be accepted by more people as their best albums. imo

I agree completely

I've mentioned it on a couple occasions in regards to Orchid, but certainly both albums could use it. I also think it would be a great way to break in Axe. This way he can add his own touch to some classic Opeth material & familiarize himself with the band through the recording process. Pers addition could enhance many of the tracks also.

On their last tour "Under the Weeping Moon" was just unbelievable ! Already a great song, I think Pers job on the keys was stellar & took the song to a level of epic bliss. For me it was my favorite live song ever :worship: